Item Upgrade Systems and Item IDs

Started by syldocaine, August 06, 2015, 07:31:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

syldocaine

August 06, 2015, 07:31:39 am Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 07:40:00 am by syldocaine
I'm posting this because i'm just interested in it.

Yesterday I had the idea to make it possible to upgrade weapons and armors like in several MMOs so they become +1, +2, +3 and so on, which increases the stats.
So I've looked around and found some interesting upgrade scripts. Not really the one of my idea, but nevermind.

So let's take for example the Equipment Upgrade System by Charlie Fleed (http://save-point.org/thread-2299.html)

I experienced that this and all the others i found, use new entrys in the database to create the upgraded items. So if I have other scripts which use static item IDs (e.g. Blizzards HP/MP script) it will mess up. The upgraded weapon or armor wouldn't have the additional HP and MP because it's another ID in the database.

So I'm asking me if it's possible to change the stats of individual items with an upgrade system although there are static IDs used in custom scripts without reworking the whole method RMXP is handling items.

Just a few thoughts.

KK20

I did try taking a crack at making a compatible version of unique equipment. One such solution I came up with for the "incorrect ID" was to make all the existing items in the database be considered the "parent" and all newly obtained items would be "children". The children would have a variable assigned to it equal to the parent's ID in the database. Then, I aliased the #id method to return the parent's ID rather than the child's ID.

The problem that I couldn't figure out were shops or things that require giving up an item, like crafting systems, so I never finished the script.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

syldocaine

Hm but your progress on this topic sounds sweet.
That parents-children method is a good way to handle it.

So beside the crafting issue your script already worked fine ?

KK20

I think so. I know I made it compatible with Guillaume 777 Multi_Slot as well. Of course, I'm not sure if I still have the project lying around on my laptop.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

syldocaine

Would be interesting to give it a try.

Wecoc

My friend Eron and I made a spanish system (base) one year ago, called IGOS (Independent Game Objects System), for RPG maker XP.
It's not easy to use and maybe it will not be what you are looking for exactly, but... well, perhaps it could help other scripters...

Download link: IGOS v1.0.zip

Tutorial from a spanish forum: Tutorial - Como usar el sistema IGOS