Big things to note:

• JavaScript and HTML5 -- no longer Ruby

• HIDDEN CLASSES ARE NO MORE!!!!!

• Multi-platform (Mac gets love)

• Touch input for mobile devices

• Front and side-view battles

• The return multi-layer mapping

• Import plugins instead of copy-pasting scripts

• 816x624 resolution (higher is possible with plugin -- 1920x1080 confirmed), 48x48 instead of 32x32 as default graphic size

• Event searching

• Possible pixel movement built-in?

Discuss.

I'd be willing to pick this up and give it a whirl.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

syldocaine

These features are looking nice.
Some of them are really awsome and I would say it's a big improvement to VX Ace.

In the end most of these features are also possible with RMXP with some workarounds and custom scripts so I wouldn't restart my whole current project in this new RM.

But I will give it a huge try for sure. (Maybe for future projects.)

winkio

Looks like a huge step in the right direction, the real successor to XP that VX failed to be.

R.A.V.S.O

From ruby to .js man.... all I can say is I'm so glad I took my time to learn a bit of it during unity practice sessions,

but sadly I've just had VXA added recently so I'll probably have to skip this until some time has passed... not that it's out already.

putting that aside, I love how they give us more pixel space to work with other than the default 32x32 per character sprite.

Personality Test results
Spoiler: ShowHide

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

Blizzard

Hm, that makes ARC conpletely obsolete, right?
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Soulshaker3

Quote from: Blizzard on August 08, 2015, 12:25:48 pm
Hm, that makes ARC conpletely obsolete, right?

Unfortunately, yes. All I can't think off that ARC has and this doesn't is the tab-like syste. But we will have to wait to see how it turns out.
Hellow?

KK20

We still don't have access to change the editor (at least from what we know so far) so I guess that's a thing. Don't know why they still think limiting the number of database entries, or even having parameter ranges at all for certain entries (e.g. MaxHP can only be 9999), is a good idea.

But seriously love that the hidden classes are no longer hidden.

Other Projects

Spoofus

Looks interesting, I didn't know a new rpg maker was in the works until today. I am more than likely to throw my money to them for it.

My Blog site I am working on: http://spoofus.weebly.com/

cdaz

Finally RPG Maker that best on both Graphic and Script.
I like Vx Script system but very hate there graphic system.
Can't under stand why they upgrade there script but downgrade there graphic.

G_G

August 14, 2015, 09:13:22 am #9 Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:15:50 am by gameus
Quote from: KK20 on August 09, 2015, 01:07:40 pm
But seriously love that the hidden classes are no longer hidden.

To be fair, since it's HTML5 and JavaScript, they can't really "hide" classes anymore. Sure the JS could technically get obfuscated, but it's a lot easier to understand how the code works with actual code rather than guessing. But I totally agree, I assume we now have total control over the tilemap which is nifty. When it comes out, I'll probably give it a whirl. Looks cool and I think it'd be interesting to program in JavaScript rather than Ruby.

Really hoping we can go to 32x32 tile size considering all other makers have been that. Sure we could modify the scripts, but let's hope the editor works with it out of the box, or better yet, lets us define the tile size and use anything. Though I am excited to see the 3-layer mapping back. Also really cool how they give us more options for the default battle system.

You can now create your own RPG Maker games on Macintosh. It will be released at the same time as the Windows version. RPG Maker MV users will be able to build games for the following platforms:

Windows/EXE
MacOSX/APP
Android/APK
iOS/IPA
HTML 5 for Web Browsers

this makes me think it's going to be a bit pricey. Ace is still a bit pricey. And I really hope they don't take the Game Maker route and charge for each individual export.

As for the plugin manager, definitely a cool idea. If something is wrong with your game, can start disabling scripts until you figure out what the problem child is.

Blizzard

I already made a new RMMV Script Database subforum. I just have to connect it to our Script Database.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

KK20

lol already planning ahead. I wonder who will even give support to that board :P

Other Projects

G_G

September 03, 2015, 03:14:52 am #12 Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:16:45 am by gameus
Well, I for one can't wait to delve into it. I think it'll be fun for a few hours. So I'll probably release a few scripts for it. The only thing that I have a real issue with is JavaScript really isn't really a class based programming language, so you're going to have a lot of function()'s acting as classes if I remember right.

Blizzard

Neither will I be able to do stuff. ._.
You can fake some classes using function(), because function is actually just a block in Javascript. It's block-based, not function-based.

Ryex

JavaScript is really quite powerful, It has quirks but it's one of the most interesting languages I've ever delved deep into.

and it's not block based it's prototype based

A function is merely another object in JavaScript one with a special prototype and attached code block. There are at least three different ways to implement "classes" in JS.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Yes, I didn't express myself properly.

syldocaine

Since the VX Ace already had less available scripts than the XP I have the odd feeling MV will have more less big scripts. Many good RPG Maker scripters are retired. Maybe some will come back
But we will see when it's out.

Kiwa

wow this looks awesome!
I will definitely pick this up when it comes out and I have some extra cash.  I wonder if it can import and convert from VX ace or XP projects. (doubtful tho)
I hope we can use old resources too.

Quick! I need a BABS and RMOS in JS! :)

G_G

Quote from: syldocaine on September 06, 2015, 09:37:46 am
Since the VX Ace already had less available scripts than the XP I have the odd feeling MV will have more less big scripts. Many good RPG Maker scripters are retired. Maybe some will come back
But we will see when it's out.

Sure this community may be more XP than anything else, there are more than enough communities that provide scripts and resources for the other engines. I myself will get into it a little bit. Might convert some of my old scripts. Just hoping the engine itself is around the same price as Ace.

KK20

Pre-order page is live. Get your 10% discount. :U
http://preorder.rpgmakerweb.com/rpg-maker-mv/

Also while looking through the forums, I read that the engine IS entirely open after all.

Still not buying it yet mainly because it still resembles VXA with JS, two things I don't entirely like on their own, let alone together.

Other Projects

winkio

Noooo, don't preorder.  Wait until it comes out, make sure it's worth getting, then buy it.  There's no reason to preorder software, it's not like the server is going to run out of downloads.

KK20

Which is why they entice us with a 10% discount.
TOTES WURTH RYT??

Other Projects

G_G

October 01, 2015, 12:23:41 am #22 Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:25:44 am by gameus
I mean, JavaScript isn't that terrible. It's fun to work with and I've been tinkering with Game Maker past couple of months, which has an even more limited programming language, so it'll be a bit refreshing going back to something that doesn't make you work with data structures like so:
var sampleArray = ds_list_create();
ds_list_add(sampleArray, val1, val2, val3, etc...);
var value = ds_list_find_value(sampleArray, index);

I mean, the VX UI and art style is still there, but they did bring back 3 layer mapping. And the fact that all the hidden scripts are basically no longer hidden is really cool. Can't wait to see some of the tilemap scripts and modifications that are going to come out. The plugin system looks promising as well. Sure they're just scripts, but from the screenshot I saw, it makes it look like scripts are going to be way easier to configure for the end user.

Also, given the price tag, it's not a bad price considering it exports to multiple platforms. I mean, look at the price for Game Maker. Each export module is a bit pricey.

winkio

Javascript is an actual scripting language, which is good, but it was designed for interactive webapps, and not for graphics and large game systems.  I'm betting that creating menus and HUDs will be less work compared to ruby, but things like dynamic lighting, battle systems, etc. will be more work.  And there will be a whole new set of interesting performance obstacles, but performance should overall be better.

KK20

October 01, 2015, 12:59:46 am #24 Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 01:02:09 am by KK20
I've had my fair share of experiences with Javascript. It definitely was pretty cool at the time since my Ruby knowledge made the transition easier. But then you look at higher level Javascript and all the different ways people do certain things--it becomes nauseating and difficult to follow. Unless you establish some coding principle or standard, working with someone else's Javascript code becomes a huge chore in itself. I've seen too many stories of people complaining how the last employee wrote uncomprehensive code that was impossible to salvage.

Mainly I'm hoping that EB makes a very understandable system and others quickly adopt it. It also worries me if people are going to compress their code and make it a living nightmare to modify.

Also yeah the price is fairly reasonable. It's mainly the preorder thing I was commenting about. The first goal of mine is how can I turn it back into RMXP.

Other Projects

KK20

Just found out that the release date is the 23rd.
Also a bunch of "update" videos on the maker itself. https://www.youtube.com/user/rpgmakerweb/videos

Which makes me wonder...I thought Yanfly was a normal RM scripter like the rest of us? It sounds like they we're a significant role to the engine itself.

Other Projects

Spoofus

Started to watch the videos, and I too thought that Yanfly was a random person who just happened to make scripts, It was kind of a surprise to me.

KK20

FAQ video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6l1gTBShRg

lol at the 3D question.

On another note, there's a new event command called "Plugin Command" that, you guessed it, does a one-line script call to the plugins. You can't use "Script" to do plugin calls.

I know the first thing I'm going to write...

Other Projects

Zexion

From what I've read on the rpgweb forums (or one of those official enterbrain forums) it seems that a lot of the engine developers are an active part of the community.

Blizzard

Lol, at the CBS questions.

KK20

More FAQ videos (even addresses the relationship between EB and Yanfly). It seems to be a daily thing, so go ahead and post questions in hopes they will be answered in the next video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iebcy0oV_4
One of the questions asked for Aluxes to return, but he is "not liked". They're also stupid biased and prefer VX over XP.

Also, Yanfly has some videos of the plugins they provided. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxqti0F9VuiSWyqznaua_zA/videos
Definitely liking the battle engine as you have more control of the animations and battler sprites. It's just a shame the shit is so complicated to configure.

By the way, the multi-layer mapping is not like XP at all (i.e. devoted buttons to draw whatever tile you want on one of three layers). It's still very similar to VX/A's way of mapping where some autotiles are always the ground layer, another set of autotiles are the mid layer, and the tilesets are the upper layer. No priority setting (remember the star with a range of 0-5 in XP? It's still just a single star). And I think you still can't do an unlimited sized tileset graphic either. Super gross.

Still no word yet of a trial or lite version.

Other Projects

G_G

Well, if we have access to the spritemap, the first plugin I wanted to look into doing seriously is one that lets you use maps from Tiled, which, you guessed it, lets you have as many layers as possible and a lot more freedom with layers, autotiles, etc.. Obviously the more layers someone decides to use the more lag you might encounter, but definitely going to look into it.

KK20

Some google searches already have posts saying TileD can be used already without a plugin. Not sure on the specifics, but that's what it sounds like.

But yeah, I want to screw around with the tilemap code badly. :D

Other Projects

G_G

If tiled works out of the box I'm so fucking stoked. That is by far the best tile editor I've ever worked with.

Spoofus

Welp I got it pre-ordered my self now, curse you enterbrain for taunting me with this.

I actually can't wait to see what scripters come up with for this, I bet we will see some crazy stuff.

KK20

I can already imagine someone trying to make a platformer with the side-view sprites. I just want to see what the scripting looks like--if they really claim it's structured similarly to the past Ruby variants.

Other Projects

Spoofus

Well when I pre-ordered it, I thought i was getting the Broforce 4-pack, but didnt pay attention until i checked the confirmation email, and realized what i did...Man i felt stupid, and just decided to let it slide.

and I bet if there is a side-view platformer, you could actually make a metroidvanina style game. WOOTS!

syldocaine

Quote from: KK20 on October 16, 2015, 12:42:39 am

By the way, the multi-layer mapping is not like XP at all (i.e. devoted buttons to draw whatever tile you want on one of three layers). It's still very similar to VX/A's way of mapping where some autotiles are always the ground layer, another set of autotiles are the mid layer, and the tilesets are the upper layer. No priority setting (remember the star with a range of 0-5 in XP? It's still just a single star). And I think you still can't do an unlimited sized tileset graphic either. Super gross.

Still no word yet of a trial or lite version.

Damn, that sucks.
Another reason to remain with the good old RMXP.

For me there is still too much VX in the MV.
They finally had the chance to improve...but nvm.

ARC has to come :D

KK20

Someone will find a way to change mapping for the better. Don't shoot your hopes down yet.

Other Projects

G_G

Right. I mean, if anything, we can always rewrite XP's tilemap in MV, allowing us to use the tilesets and map files from XP. There's going to be a lot more possibilities with the tilemap code open to us for the first time.

KK20

So they have FINALLY gave us more control as to what happens to the game when the window is not in focus. You can choose to freeze the graphics, the audio, both, or neither. There are also some callbacks for when the window loses focus, is currently not focused, and regains focus.

Also confirmation that it uses Node.js to run the game (thank you Web Applications class--you are proving to have been a fantastic elective).
Yanfly is still showing off some pretty cool things to extend the default engine. Seriously, check those videos.

While the engine is shaping up to be what it should have been all these years, the VXA-like editor is still probably the worst thing to come out of this. I'm kinda tempted to write my own :P

Other Projects

KK20

All I needed to know...

Other Projects

Blizzard

ForeverZer0

Although I never spent much time learning JS, I am now starting to get interested in picking it up just so I can tinker with this.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

syldocaine

Hmm the engine itself seems to be well done.
Also these Yanfly things are looking nice.

But that VXA editor is stell "meh".

MV will be better than VXA for sure.
Let's see if it can beat XP for me, when it's out.

KK20

Quote from: Blizzard on October 21, 2015, 01:38:16 am
HUE HUE HUE, RMV-OS.

or RMM-OS or RMMV-OS
Quote from: ForeverZer0 on October 21, 2015, 05:48:32 am
Although I never spent much time learning JS, I am now starting to get interested in picking it up just so I can tinker with this.

CP has to make its mark all over again. Watch as the retired scripters return from the dead.
Quote from: syldocaine on October 21, 2015, 01:21:43 pm

If the mapping is the only grudge you have, it shouldn't even matter.

Other Projects

Soulshaker3

I'm not retired nor a scripter, nor dead. But I'll give it a shot. Maybe..
Hellow?

syldocaine

Quote from: KK20 on October 21, 2015, 03:12:10 pm

Quote from: syldocaine on October 21, 2015, 01:21:43 pm

If the mapping is the only grudge you have, it shouldn't even matter.

The VX mapping is one big issue, since i don't like parallax mapping.
But as you said it shouldn't be a problem at all.

The second big reason is the amount of custom scripts I got for RMXP which are all compatible with each other and offer me everything I need so far. (Many from Chaos Project btw, so thx :) )
plus my game runs in stable 60 FPS.Just a few frame drops to ~ 30 sometimes on big maps with 500+ events.

So yeah, call me RMXP fanboy but the MV has to be the really big thing to convince me.
But I'm looking optimistic at it right now.

KK20

In that case, you really only need to wait about a year for the community to develop everything. I'm sure by that time, people will be super comfortable with the programming and can do requests on the fly.
Heck, maybe the price will drop :V

Other Projects

G_G

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE

KK20

October 22, 2015, 09:13:43 pm #50 Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:24:45 pm by KK20
They were supposed to have a final demonstration of plugins today, one that they have been holding for last. Their 13th episode is actually up, just unlisted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9rZewWNpOM&index=65&list=PLeDwqxgcpMGm40eocVtKL6owR6W8E6kyg
Not a whole lot of good questions in this one. Most of them were "is there a plugin for ____?" with all of them having the same answer "no".

C'mon and announce a trial version already D:
EDIT: 20 day trial

Other Projects

G_G

Spoofus

October 23, 2015, 03:52:16 pm #52 Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 06:12:15 pm by Spoofus
Installing RMMV now, time to not do anything at work all day. :)

I am actually looking forward to see the event options.

*After messing around with it, it feels like rmvx ace in a sense.
I do however like the side-view battlers, and I am looking forward to people making character generator parts for it.
Playing around with MV, will kill time for me by a lot, and with the java script, the things that can be done, is going to be interesting.

KK20

October 23, 2015, 06:42:10 pm #53 Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:08:29 pm by KK20
I've already written a C# executable to break up the JavaScript files (not sure if 100% working, but it's looking good). Right now all the "classes" are shoved into very few files. Me being the organized neat freak wanted to break them up into separate files. Now learning the code will be significantly easier.

EDIT: If you want to see for yourselves: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58874459/ClassExtractor.exe
Place executable in the project folder. It looks for the js folder.

Other Projects

syldocaine

Ah nice, time to start the testing marathon.

G_G

Quote from: KK20 on October 23, 2015, 06:42:10 pm
I've already written a C# executable to break up the JavaScript files (not sure if 100% working, but it's looking good). Right now all the "classes" are shoved into very few files. Me being the organized neat freak wanted to break them up into separate files. Now learning the code will be significantly easier.

EDIT: If you want to see for yourselves: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58874459/ClassExtractor.exe
Place executable in the project folder. It looks for the js folder.

Thank you. Now I can look through everything.

KK20

No problem at all.

Also, if you're like me and didn't get any of Yanfly's plugins, they be here: http://yanfly.moe/yep/

Other Projects

syldocaine

October 23, 2015, 08:31:15 pm #57 Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:35:13 pm by syldocaine
ouch, i crashed the editor

tried to create 999 events on max sized map to stress test the engine, but the editor gave up at ~600  :^_^':

edit: engine seems to be smooth, 610 events and not a single lag. but the editor has a hard time

KK20

A lot of people are reporting the editor being pretty buggy. Thankfully it's possible to write another editor since all the data is JSON'd.

Other Projects

syldocaine

Well thats cool.

Because the engine and its possibilitys is really nice.
Can't wait to see the awesome things the community will do with it.
Yanfly plugins are just the beginning, i think

KK20

I noticed a slight error in my extractor program, so I changed it to "if found //-, then this must be a new class". I'll probably mess around with it some more like being able to load those extracted files (in order) into the game.

Here's a script call list courtesy of Archeia from the RM forums: CLICKY

I'm also considering running through all the files and documenting what exactly is going on from an RGSS scripter's perspective and posting a topic on it here.

Other Projects

G_G

Sweet. Having a list of calls like that is really awesome. Think I'm going to work on a quest system now. Actually having a bit of fun messing around with the code. Was a little bit frustrating getting used to it.

KK20

October 26, 2015, 09:38:51 pm #62 Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:38:58 pm by KK20
Just letting people know that a crack already exists and has been confirmed to work by CP members.
lol that was fast

EDIT: The one I found only works on Win 8 and 10

Other Projects

seedlord

October 27, 2015, 09:09:34 am #63 Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:41:29 am by ForeverZer0
Found crack on 4chan

** DELETED LINKS **

ForeverZer0

Quote from: seedlord on October 27, 2015, 09:09:34 am
Found crack on 4chan

We do not post links to pirated software and other related things on this website. We are all know how to search for it via Google if we need it, and it is against the rules.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Spoofus

Kind of impressive that a crack for it out there already.

Silly Pirates, I did notice though that in the editor there is no import option, found that kinda of odd.

KK20

It was kind of a redundant feature actually. Generally people are importing folders upon folders of graphics. Dragging those images into the respective folders streamlines the tedious process of manually importing one image at a time. The only real benefit was being able to choose a transparent color. But we're out of the Microsoft Paint era; if you can't make your image have transparency these days, why are you even making graphics in the first place?

With that said, new update explained here: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/47569-rpg-maker-mv-updates/
It also comes with a new .exe file so the crack I found is now useless. Not like it impacts me in any way (my OS is still Win7).

Other Projects

Zexion

Quote from: KK20 on October 27, 2015, 04:23:03 pm
It was kind of a redundant feature actually. Generally people are importing folders upon folders of graphics.

Like the only time I've imported anything, ever, was inquisitor's tileset. I only imported because of the blue bg and being too lazy to open them in gimp xD