Good Arcade / Small Games to Make

Started by ThalliumShine, October 29, 2015, 02:16:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThalliumShine

I really like this forum. Learned a lot. I just have some general question for the experienced rpg maker users here though. I do not like long development of games, perhaps due that my work is taking a lot of my time. I still want to make games somehow, pick up my small machine and work with a game here and then.

I just want to ask or fish for some ideas of small games I can make maybe within a week, then polish it for the remaining 1 week? So my development time in specific, is 2 weeks, 3 days beta test and 3 days bug fixing.

Are there games you think or ideas of arcade games / small games that I can do within this period? If there are, could you please lend me a helping hand to tell about them?

I am using Blizz ABS for XP, in particular, but if there are games that doesn't really need that much complexity as well, please do tell. I do have VX Ace and MV as well, so any ideas, are really open to me, so long as they're small and quite fun for people to play :D

ForeverZer0

An idea would be to think of mini-games that have been in classic RPGs and replicate them. This could provide fun, while also being reusable in someone else's game. Just a thought.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

winkio

If you want to use Blizz-ABS, you could make some quick boss battles in an hour or two.  I made a demo a few years ago here: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,8792.0.html.  Although I no longer have a webhost, so all the images are broken, you can still download the unecrypted project from the mirror at the top.  Feel free to use any of the event code/scripts in there, although the Blizz-ABS version may be a little old.  Boss battles are also a thing where you can always add specialized graphics, or new abilities if you have the extra time.  And if you like the concept of one of your bosses enough, you could make a longer game around it.

KK20

You can pretty much do anything you wanted in RPG Maker if you know how to code it. Otherwise, you're limited to eventing which can only do so much. If the system becomes too complicated, you're better off working in another engine.

For Blizz-ABS, you could do something along the lines of an arcade beat-em-up side-scroller like Final Fight. Wouldn't be as flashy, but it's something.
Other than that, it's really just using the event commands Button Input, Show/Move Picture, and variables.

I did make some kind of mining minigame where you had to rapidly tap buttons to break open the ore. You're given a chisel to break off small pieces and a hammer/pickax for larger chunks. The goal was to get as much of the rock removed without breaking the ore inside in 10 seconds. The amount of material to remove was randomly generated each time.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

syldocaine

October 29, 2015, 05:50:36 pm #4 Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 05:52:48 pm by syldocaine
You could create an arena-like game, which works with any battlesystem, where you have to climb up a fictive arena ladder. The enemies will get stronger and will have better tactis in higher rankings. For every win you get points to spend for better equipments to beat the next enemies. Final boss would be the champion or champion team which require a really good equip and tactic to beat it.

It's not that much of work, once your system works. It should have just a little bit of complexity with different skill builds or equipment options.
You would only have to create something like an arena lobby and the fights themself then. It would also offer the option to put in a little story to increase the motivation of the player. Just an example: champion killed the sister of the protagonist and now he smells revenge.  :P

Blizzard

You can also make a side-scrolling shooter. http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,2604.0.html It took me only 8-10 hours to put this together. I'm sure you could do a lot more with 2-3 weeks.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.