Back again

Started by winkio, September 04, 2015, 11:36:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

Hello everyone, sorry for not posting much this year.  I sort of took an unofficial break from posting, and it turned out to be longer than expected.

To start with, I'm in Austin, TX now.  No more freezing winters for me!  I have a job on the manufacturing side of Magic Leap, and although I'm NDA'ed pretty hard, I can at least say that there is going to be some mindblowing tech and software released in the future.

Now that I am more secure in my job and location, I'm getting back into game dev on my free time.  Something I have always wanted to do is make my own game engine and tools in C#, a package with a map editor and scripts, that was also open source.  In the past, I thought I would release a game first, and then strip out the engine and build around it.  However, with my experience developing a commercial data and charting tool for my last job, I think now is the perfect time to get started.

So anyways, I'll be posting more now, both related to my project, and just in general.

Blizzard

Welcome back. :)

Have you considered maybe using an engine after all? Like Unreal 4 or Unity. They are both good enough and extensible that there is no need to write an engine from scratch. And you can code in C# in Unity if it's C# you're after.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

Unreal and Unity are both great engines, but they are both too focused on the commercial side of game dev.  They are pushing for things like next gen graphics/speed and deploying on more platforms.  They have plugin stores, and expect developers to be paying for resources or working in larger groups to get full use of the software.

RMXP has simple work flows, requires no tutorials, and allows solo developers to flourish.  The majority of resources/scripts can be obtained for free.  It's primary flaws are how many limits there are with the default scripts, and the limits of the engine itself even with scripting.

I want to make an engine more like RMXP, but a few orders of magnitude more advanced.  Something with a lot more power and freedom that still has simple workflows and manageable development times.

Blizzard

Have you seen RMMV yet? It might be just that.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

I have, but it is still RPG maker.  I'm looking to do something a little more generalized.

KK20

Good to see you back on the active side of things again. No more snow woooooo~

For your engine idea, are you going along the route of Game Maker or GG Maker?

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

winkio

I guess it would be closer to GG Maker than Game Maker, but there are a lot of different parts of each, I'm not sure what exactly you are talking about.

KK20

You said something that's easy to get into like RPG Maker but is more diverse than just making RPG games. So I figured that Game Maker and (more so) GG Maker fit those roles.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

winkio

Right.  The idea is to have some pre-built stuff that can be worked with using the GUI only, and then instead of scripting, just open up the game's C# source for editing in Visual Studio.

ForeverZer0

I just realized you changed the image in your avatar and signature.... I have never see that!

Anyways, welcome back!
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

winkio

What?  I swear I've gone through like 6 of them by now.  There was purple, then purple, then blue, then light blue, then dark blue, and now the current one.

Blizzard

There were a few, but you mostly changed them in the first few years. You kept almost the same one for quite a while.