vgvgf Encryption help!

Started by Dylanrockin, November 15, 2015, 06:51:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylanrockin

Okay, I am sure a lot of you are familiar with vgvgf, and his amazing works, yes? Well, I am currently trying to encrypt my game using the methods that he posted on hbgames: http://www.hbgames.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=26&f=179&t=70582

I got the game to work properly by having it recognize the archive, however, the game just straight up crashes, which from what I was told, on here: http://forum.chaos-p...279.5/wap2.html that when it crashes, that I did it right. However, I am not sure how to fix the crashing issue on the black screen at the beginning.

If someone knows what I am doing wrong, that would be of HUGE help! (I may even pay the person who helps me ;w; )

G_G

November 15, 2015, 05:11:11 pm #1 Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:20:41 am by gameus
I would highly recommend to stop trying to encrypt your project. If someone wants your resources they're going to get it.

Notice how he lists some problems with it too.
QuoteProblems:
The scripts still can be obtained from memory
If someone manages to decompress/unpack/decrypt the dll, they would be able to obtain the custom magic key
Someone with some debugger experience can obtain the magic key
Some compressors/encrypters/packers for dll will leave the rgss dll unusable in some computers

The only people who are going to steal your resources/scripts are the people who aren't going to ever accomplish a video game/project themselves. RPG Maker VX/Ace's encryption is a joke as well and not to mention, RPG Maker MV, the new one, is all just HTML and JS which can all easily be downloaded if someone were to host their game on the web, including resources. I'd personally try to just focus on your game, especially since there's hardly anyone still into the RMXP engine itself.

Dylanrockin

Quote from: gameus on November 15, 2015, 05:11:11 pm
I would highly recommend to stop trying to encrypt your project. If someone wants your resources they're going to get it.

Notice how he lists some problems with it too.
QuoteProblems:
The scripts still can be obtained from memory
If someone manages to decompress/unpack/decrypt the dll, they would be able to obtain the custom magic key
Someone with some debugger experience can obtain the magic key
Some compressors/encrypters/packers for dll will leave the rgss dll unusable in some computers

The only people who are going to steal your resources/scripts are the people who aren't going to ever accomplish a video game/project themselves. RPG Maker VX/Ace's encryption is a joke as well and not to mention, RPG Maker MV, the new one, is all just HTML and JS which can all easily be downloaded if someone were to host their game on the web, including resources. I'd personally try to just focus on your game, especially since there's hardly anyone still into the RMXP engine itself.

I know, but, I was always the person who believed in doing the work yourself. People who are such losers that they have to go to lengths as to use a decrypter on my game, that utilizes custom scripts and graphics, REALLY aggravates me. I almost don't even want to release my game, until I can procure some kind of encryption from the people who don't know how to do basic Hex editing or debugging. Basically put, the people who rely too much on decrypters.

R.A.V.S.O

trust me when I tell you this,

the unique scripts and sprites (at least some of them) your project has most likely came from pre-existing unfinished or scrapped projects, in the
end some released RPG Maker projects that may seem way too different between them may end up sharing some scripts and systems
(maybe even sprites) not because one stole from the other, rather because such resources were open sourced and easy to get on the first place.
(case in point: steam's various resource packs and users who upload their own scripts, you CAN however credit them and edit them to your project)

the thing is, at the moment there is no proper encryption system that can protect your files without compromising stability
and if you ask me, there's no point on making a fancy RPG if half the PC's out there will struggle to even open the game exe to run it.
Personality Test results
Spoiler: ShowHide

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

G_G

Quote from: Dylanrockin on November 16, 2015, 05:06:52 am
I know, but, I was always the person who believed in doing the work yourself. People who are such losers that they have to go to lengths as to use a decrypter on my game, that utilizes custom scripts and graphics, REALLY aggravates me. I almost don't even want to release my game, until I can procure some kind of encryption from the people who don't know how to do basic Hex editing or debugging. Basically put, the people who rely too much on decrypters.

It won't stop people if they really want to get it. But the point I'm making, those who really want your resources will never release a successful project anyways, especially with a huge community against this sort of thing. If someone were to steal your things and use it in a project, it'd be as simple as calling them out on it or talking to an admin on the forums because your game will have obviously been released first.

ForeverZer0

Bottom line, there is no good encryption that works well.

Most encryption systems cause problems actually working, and none of them even work very well. The people who do not know how to decrypt it do not have to, only one person has to know how and post it somewhere. If you do not want your resources to be open for public viewing, then using a different engine is really your only option. RPG Maker pretty much can never be protected in the way that you are looking for, and as gameus said, it is not like anyone can/will ever actually use them. Your target users are the very people you are concerned about stealing them, but they could never really do that, because there target users would be the same, and those users would notice that, or you yourself would.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.