Critical Error with Blizz-ABS, Version 2.87, for RPG Maker XP!

Started by 1supermiguel, January 28, 2016, 02:45:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

1supermiguel

Everytime I go into the AI Triggers and go to create a new trigger, everything works fine, until I get to the "Action Type" menu where if I choose "Attack" or "Block" everything works out the way it should, however, if I chose "Item", I get the following error:

And then it proceeds to close my game. I go into the script editor and this is automatically the screen it brings me to, under the third ABS data script above main, with a marker next to it:

I am a complete novice to coding and scripting, don't ever touch the stuff, don't know how, so I have no idea what to do here, but my game was due for some public testing shortly but if this happens for me, for any else who plays with this function of the menu I fear the same may happen to them and then they'll get angry at me. What can I do to fix this error? Thanks in advance for any responses in regards to this critical error! I really need to fix this error fast so any and all information about how to do so would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again and I hope you all have a wonderful day! :)

KK20

I see what's going on now. To reproduce the detection, your actor must have no learned skills and at least one usable item on hand.

My guess is the code assumes the third option in the Action Types is always "Skill", so when you select "Item" (which is in the third slot), it tries to update the trigger with using a Skill. It also defaults the first "Action" available, or in this case the first Skill the actor knows. Since the actor knows no skills, it returns "nil", which then produces the error message.

EDIT:
Well that was a ride. Thought it'd be pretty fast, but took a bit longer than expected.

when 4
        # play sound
        $game_system.se_play($data_system.decision_se)
        # temporary variables
        old, new = @edit_window.trigger.action_type, @edit_trigger_window.index
        # if not skills availabled and selected skill action type
        if @skills.size == 0 && new == BlizzABS::TRGSkill
          # it is actually item action type
          new = BlizzABS::TRGItem
        end
        # if wasn't skill action type until now
        if old != BlizzABS::TRGSkill && new == BlizzABS::TRGSkill
          # set first available skill
          @edit_window.trigger.action_data = @skills[0]
        # if wasn't item action type until now
        elsif old != BlizzABS::TRGItem && new == BlizzABS::TRGItem
          # set first available item
          @edit_window.trigger.action_data = @items[0]
        end
        # set new value for trigger
        @edit_window.trigger.action_type = new
        # refresh trigger display
        @edit_window.refresh
        # return to edit command window
        return_to_edit_command_window

CTRL + SHIFT + F for def update_edit_trigger. Find "when 4" and replace it with this code above.

I did notice some other bugs with triggers as well. Those will have to be addressed another time.

@Blizz/winkio:

if @skills.size == 0 && new == BlizzABS::TRGSkill
  # it is actually item action type
  new == BlizzABS::TRGItem              # epic typo
end

@edit_window.trigger.action_type = @edit_trigger_window.index            # which ignores the "new = BlizzABS::TRGItem" completely

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Blizzard

It's weird that nobody so far noticed this. This bug has been around for years. xD
Anyway, winkio will have to update this. Best if you post this in the Blizz-ABS thread as well.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

KK20

It was a little odd to reproduce the error. I don't think anyone has made a character with absolutely no skills learned.

I'll post my collection of bugs I noticed while I was trying to figure out the problem.

Other Projects

1supermiguel

Thanks! It fixed the problem! Now I just wish I knew how to actually use the AI Triggers menu! But hey, glad I was able to help you guys fix another bug! And as for the skills thing, in my game I have it set so that you learn skills as you level, no one starts with any skills, you gotta work to earn your skills in my upcoming game. I actually thought this was pretty average of RPG's, I actually personally didn't think it'd be so rare where there'd be a game where you didn't start with any skills, only having the basic attack and defend abilities to help you survive until you levelled enough to earn new skills, kind of like how Pokemon does it. Players earn new skills every 5 levels so the first skill would be introduced at level 5 for the player. But they do have to conquer a series of challenges to start off, as again, I thought was pretty usual, so, in the end they are rewarded with some basic starter items to help them along the way, leaving them with the items and no skills until later on in the game. I thought that was pretty usual. Guess I was wrong.  :uhm:

Blizzard

The AI Triggers is similar to Gambits in FF12 if you played it. Basically you set up conditions and how the AI should react to those conditions.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

1supermiguel

Yeah that'd what I presumed but I guess I had messed up somewhere along the way when I tried to set up my own triggers. I had set a trigger for self to use an item when HP was below 50%, in this case, what I called in my game a "Traveler's Potion" which I was able to choose thanks to the fix from above without issue, kept the target at default because I don't know what setting the target type to "Activator" would do, and it wasn't really explained in the Blizz-ABS Manual so was completely lost there, but it didn't use the item. So I am guessing there must be like a button or something I have to push to actually trigger the well...trigger, but sadly, I could not find what button it was and it also wasn't stated on the Blizz-ABS Manual from what I recall, the only area that spoke of it was the very beginning area with the "Blizz-ABS" screen but then I couldn't find further information regarding it in the manual. So in the end the trigger did not work for me. Should I have pushed some special button to make it work or something? Also tried setting target type to activator but also did nothing. So was sad when it didn't work after I had made you guys look for a way to fix the script error. I am a sad panda and apologize for making you guys waste your time on me on trying to get that bug fixed.  :(

KK20

There's no button to press--it's all handled by AI. If you're trying to set a trigger for your actor, and you're controlling that actor, triggers aren't going to do anything. It's for your party members when CATERPILLAR is turned on in the Configuration.

Also there is a page on Triggers (Section 1.5.5) and a small write-up as to what it is (Section 5.2.4).
It's not super in-depth, but it should make sense as to what is doing what.

Other Projects

KK20

Other Projects

1supermiguel

Nah still couldn't figure AI Triggers out despite what was said above. Eh oh well guess am just stupid or something. But anyways, am glad I got to help you guys fix some bugs for some future makers who do know what triggers do. And I am aware of the trigger write up in the manual but it is not specific enough to explain to a super stupid person like me how to get it to work out is why I didn't acknowledge them as useful enough. Anyways, this topic can be locked now. Just wanted to point you guys out to the issue and glad was able to get it fixed for some other makers later on down the line. That's it from me on this topic. Peace!