[XP] Ideas on fully evented game mechanic

Started by GatsRoller, November 28, 2016, 12:09:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GatsRoller

Hi there forum!

Im very glad to let you all know that after many questions, and try and errors, Im learning a bit more about RPG maker and the system overall.

First as any other newbie I was having mostly scripting limitations, but after some research I discovered many great RPG maker games were made with fully evented mechanics, meaning no need of adding scripts, so I asked around and apparently just by editing the default script and taking out the exp value (not to work and also not to show on window) I can then proceed to come up with my own evented leveling up system (Credits to the always helpful KK20 to confirm this).

So please check this out as I might need some ideas how to come up with the eventing:

-Characters wont gain exp after battles, or the value wont show at all after battles or on status menu. The idea is to have items that besides the general use of any RPG item (Hp recover, cure status, inflict damage to enemies etc) can additionally call common events such as "increase parameter" so every time you use an item you are also increasing your statutes (max HP up, mas SP up, mas attack up, etc), as there is no actual exp system.

-Enemies will drop items so of course there is part of the grinding, but I would like to assign the value monsters give out, to call a common event that resets every time it reaches a certain number, So as an example, following up with the exp not working to level up, we use that value running backround so lets say from every battle I get an approximate of 10 points and every 60 points I want a common event to activate and "reset" many of the switches on the map, for items to respawn. So you know every some 5 or 6 battles you have a chance to scavenge for recorey items that also increase your status to keep fighting.

It would be great to have comments or suggestions on this! Let me know if you need a more detailed explanation, as every time I explain myself I also get a better idea of how to do it.

Thanks beforehand!

KK20

If your items increase a stat by a base amount all the time, you can just make an Item do that. Next to the "Consumable" drop down is "Parameter" and "Parameter Inc" which do what you want. If it needs to be more complex, then calling a common event is fine.

I'm more curious what this "reset" thing is all about.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

GatsRoller

Quote from: KK20 on November 28, 2016, 01:03:53 am

I'm more curious what this "reset" thing is all about.

Ok so lets use as an example harvest moon or other cropping games, many use a time system to "renew" or "respawn" your items at certain spots every once in a while, is something like that just not based on timers, but based on the exp value given by monsters...

KK20

But what kind of items are we talking about here? If a potion just randomly spawns again at a certain spot all the time, it doesn't really make much sense.

Other Projects

GatsRoller

Imagine the game as a dungeon crawler, so there are no towns, or regular shops, so your better chance in this game to get items is revisiting locations, such as chests, jars, crates, etc, these items will be hard to get or very expensive at the shop so I want to test the concept of having to scavenge respawned items after having triggered certain events or met certain requirements.

KK20

But that's the thing. It makes no sense for a non-genetic item to just suddenly spawn in a certain location just because you battled enough times. Unless there's some deeper meaning to the dungeon crawling, like the player is a scientific experiment thrown in a simulation and the "observers" are creating these drops for them.

Other Projects

Blizzard

November 28, 2016, 04:20:45 am #6 Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 04:26:59 am by Blizzard
You could use a script for that and just modify your database. I made both a script where you can designate points to stats (I think I called it Stat Distribution System) and one where the stats increase upon "stimulation" during battle (similar to the real Final Fantasy 2). Best you check the database http://database.chaos-project.com See the Actor category.

But maybe it's too far off the system you imagined. KK20's first idea with removing EXP drops and adding stat-increasing item drops might be the closest.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

GatsRoller

Quote from: Blizzard on November 28, 2016, 04:20:45 am
You could use a script for that and just modify your database. I made both a script where you can designate points to stats (I think I called it Stat Distribution System) and one where the stats increase upon "stimulation" during battle (similar to the real Final Fantasy 2). Best you check the database http://database.chaos-project.com See the Actor category.

But maybe it's too far off the system you imagined. KK20's first idea with removing EXP drops and adding stat-increasing item drops might be the closest.

Yes indeed Im aware I have your amazing tons of addons  8), thats actually the reason why I came to these forums as you guys know a lot of XP, thing is was trying to activate the addons and then realized even for that was kinda clueless, had to research first  :V:
So I figured if I still have to learn, I might as well try to figure basic script editing, and be able to tell what can be evented and what not, so by the time I get back to your addons I will have a better idea how to use them the way Im looking in my game  :P

Blizzard

If you can handle relatively complex eventing, scripting is only a bit more complicated than that. Of course, to be able to script almost anything, it takes some time to learn to RMXP's default scripts work. xD

If I haven't mentioned it already: Adding or removing certain scripts usually renders savegames messed up so you should prefer starting a new game when you add or remove a script to be on the safe side. And make sure you keep them in order in the editor since order matters.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

GatsRoller

Quote from: Blizzard on November 28, 2016, 02:55:36 pm
If you can handle relatively complex eventing, scripting is only a bit more complicated than that. Of course, to be able to script almost anything, it takes some time to learn to RMXP's default scripts work. xD

If I haven't mentioned it already: Adding or removing certain scripts usually renders savegames messed up so you should prefer starting a new game when you add or remove a script to be on the safe side. And make sure you keep them in order in the editor since order matters.

This is a "one day at a time" type of thing, but Im glad is getting me somewhere, Im very excited to launch a demo soon, so I might just go for  tons of add ons and the DSD script, they have all I need in some way.

GatsRoller

Allright guys! has a  breakthrough here after some days off.

So the best way I figured to take out the exp system was to set a parallel process to auto cast the "cant gain EXP" state on my character, and kept the state unnamed on the database thus wont show on screen.
Now I have tried to edit the script to take out any exp value to show on windows, but It either doesnt work or   crashes.
I have a better understanding of the editor and ctrl shift f is my friend! so maybe you can guide me as of where on the editor I might have to do what to keep any exp to show at all. I f worth mentioning Im using tons of addons and I can tell it alters the layout as an example exp is just shown as "E" on the menu.

But also I have a new question here:

Should I just take out the exp values to show, so then my character is actually gaining exp on the"background" and by setting his initial and final level as level 1 would he actually acummulate exp without really never leveling up? so the idea is to have a conditional variable based on EXP, to trigger every time a certain value of EXP has been reached...  is it making sense?

Once I have this last portion figured I would be confident to show a product with the system Im looking  :D

Blizzard

You could also just set each enemy to give no EXP if you don't need the actual EXP value for anything. e.g. You could just count battles.

GatsRoller

Quote from: Blizzard on December 02, 2016, 01:51:03 pm
You could also just set each enemy to give no EXP if you don't need the actual EXP value for anything. e.g. You could just count battles.

Well counting the exp adds a certain random value as of how many battles might trigger the parallel, and I do see character exp as a value for variables, so I have an idea how to do it, once I take the EXP to show on windows, any idea on how to do this, to make the exp not show on any window, but still being kept as  value the character is acumulating? Do I literally just delete the word "exp" from some windows? or like delete or type something to make those window not populate at all?