Looking for somebody to convert my website (paid!)

Started by Blizzard, August 17, 2015, 12:20:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

August 17, 2015, 12:20:46 pm Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 12:27:45 pm by Blizzard
I've been thinking and with the recent decline of Flash, I'd really like to move my website to a different system. ._.

http://www.blizzard-borealis.com/

It's fairly simple. I would prefer simple PHP + HTML + CSS + JavaScript implementation, but I understand that audio doesn't work unless you use HTML5. So that part should be disabled if the visitor's browser doesn't support HTML5 obviously. Other than that, the site is very basic. Just a few buttons and clean slide animations and playing/pausing audio. That's all I ask for. The only other thing I ask is that the internal data organization is properly done so I can easily add a new album or URL where you can buy my music. Seriously, just a small PHP class with everything inside is enough.

I'm willing to pay $50 over PayPal for it and I also offer the original source code in Flex 4 (including resources such as images and fonts) as reference.

EDIT: My MXML file is 500 lines long. This really shouldn't pose much of a problem.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Soulshaker3

August 17, 2015, 04:37:19 pm #1 Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 04:56:50 pm by Soulshaker3
I would like to try this but I have a couple of questions:

• Do you want a responsive design?

• Is the original design to be kept or you want to go for a different approach

• Would you like an administrative panel where you could insert music inside the website?

• And finally will you consider having a MySQL database?

Hellow?

Blizzard

August 17, 2015, 04:58:52 pm #2 Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 05:00:18 pm by Blizzard
1. Sure, I don't mind.
2. I actually would like to keep the design, yes. I see no point in changing it. Except for the changes for responsive design. (The current design is "everything is just one button click away" so I'm not sure if any significant improvements could be made.) But I'm all for improvements if they don't take too much of your time.
3. Nah, I handle it all manually. Plus, there is no need to go that far since I most likely won't be adding any more music than I have up right now. Even if I did, I can just upload it on FTP and add the URLs manually in the code.
4. Same as #3, no need. It's too small a site to bother with that kind of stuff.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Soulshaker3

So I fiddled with it a bit today, since you said you wanted something simple and wanted to mantain the design I tried to follow at most the initial one, doing some changes because of responsive ofc.

I have it hosted here temporarily http://soulsogame.byethost22.com/Blizzard/

Fiddle with it a little bit and give me some guide lines of what is wrong and should be changed.

Btw the songs part isn't done yet, if you hadn't figured it out by now :p
Hellow?

Blizzard

Looks ok so far. A few pointers.

1. The copyright notice should either be static or completely removed. (I'd prefer it removed completely.)
2. Text shouldn't be selectable.
3. Opening a URL should open a new tab.
4. The stuff in "Buy" looks weird centered. Are you sure about this?
5. Yeah, still waiting for music. :3
6. If you want to remove "Contact", add the email in "About".

Soulshaker3

Quote from: Blizzard on August 20, 2015, 03:37:57 am

1. The copyright notice should either be static or completely removed. (I'd prefer it removed completely.)
2. Text shouldn't be selectable.
3. Opening a URL should open a new tab.
6. If you want to remove "Contact", add the email in "About".

Done.
4. The stuff in "Buy" looks weird centered. Are you sure about this?

I've almost 100% sure that the text is centered. If that's not what you meant by it, tell me what then

5. Yeah, still waiting for music. :3

Starting it now

Hellow?

Blizzard

I meant that it's centered, but it looks weird to me. Maybe that's because I'm used to it not being centered. Are you sure that it looks better centered? That's what I meant. xD

Soulshaker3

Yeah I think they look good, thought they would look better with icons, but I can't seem to find a font with those. Also one of your links is down.

More testing to you : http://soulsogame.byethost22.com/Blizzard

Still have to do the data management but I've got the layout sorted out. Test the responsive design in your devices and tell me of any thing that looks weird
Hellow?

Blizzard

Looks great on my phone and audio works, too. (This is Opera on Android, BTW.)

Spoiler: ShowHide

It looks a bit shitty on Opera Next and there's no play button. It's Chromium-based, but I understand that it has somewhat different rendering. Not sure what's going on or why the button is missing since Opera Next does support HTML5.

On SRWare Icon (basically Chrome minus the Google-spying-on-you stuff) it looks better, but the play button doesn't seem to work. It changes the visual state, but no music plays.

I haven't tried Firefox, the actual Chrome browser, IE and Edge.

Soulshaker3

The Opera Next doesn't support automatic margins for what I see, I have the image centered with those margins but it seems that there they simply don't care.

The sound not playing is actually pretty odd, since that is basic JS, I'll have to take a look but my guess is that SRWare Icon doesn't support audio/video tags, I'll probably have to switch to use a jquery lib to play the sound and ensure better compatibility.

On chrome it does work since it's there that I'm testing, IE should have no problems aswell, I'm just kind of affraid that transitions won't work well on Firefox
Hellow?

Soulshaker3

August 21, 2015, 06:19:37 pm #10 Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:33:38 pm by Soulshaker3
Oh the double posting, but it's for a good reason!

Guess what: moar updates so here's a list:

- Play button now is actually a button (before it was just an empty rectangle with a background), this should fix opera problems
- Modified the design a little bit, so now it looks more a "list".
- Did all the logic needed to switch songs and such, I've hardcoded 2 songs for now.
- Switched to a jQuery audio lib to handle audio files better, the downside with audio in html5 is that you have to atleast have the song in 2 formats (mp3, ogg) to be compatible with all main browsers. If you don't want that we'll have to stick with flash for audio.
- Resposive design update woohoo , now it looks fancier

I'll upload it in 5 minutes or so, so if you don't see the updated yet, it's because I'm still uploading. I'll edit the post to warn tough.

All that is left now is the data management which should be relatively easy and I'll have it done by tomorrow. So maybe tomorrow you can have your website in testing phase :D

EDIT: Okay so it took a little longer than 5 minutes, hadn't noticed a huge bug in the code and was fixing it. So now everything should be okay.

Also, no the buttons aren't missing, just hover in the music row and he'll appear. I've disabled this in smaller screens cause it means that they are on a touch interface therefore it would be impossible for them to see the button

Be sure to hit ctrl + f5 to reload without the cached page
Hellow?

Blizzard

This is looking pretty good right now. :D Opera works fine, too. A few last things:

1. When I play the first song and then try to play the second one without stopping the first, the second won't start. I've waited for 10 seconds or so. When I tried doing that again, it worked fine more or less. It seems that it's taking some time to load the files, because the first play in general takes a few seconds. I would assume that the lib downloads the audio file and then plays it rather than streaming.

2. Make the button fading faster. At least 2-3 times faster.
IDK if completely hiding is such a good idea. I don't want people to miss the fact that you can play the demos. Maybe fade them only to 50% or 25%?

3. The album image doesn't flip when I switch albums.

4. Make the contact info bold in About. I noticed that it doesn't stand out and it would be good if it did.

5. I just noticed for the first time that the Facebook and Soundcloud links are missing. xD This will also need to go into some sort of data management.

Soulshaker3

Quote from: Blizzard on August 22, 2015, 01:36:09 am

1. When I play the first song and then try to play the second one without stopping the first, the second won't start. I've waited for 10 seconds or so. When I tried doing that again, it worked fine more or less. It seems that it's taking some time to load the files, because the first play in general takes a few seconds. I would assume that the lib downloads the audio file and then plays it rather than streaming.

This is from the host, locally it works flawless, since it just starts downloading the song after you click it, and the host is slow it takes some time to start downloading, but I started the first and then the second and in 3 to 4 secods the music started.

2. Make the button fading faster. At least 2-3 times faster.
IDK if completely hiding is such a good idea. I don't want people to miss the fact that you can play the demos. Maybe fade them only to 50% or 25%?

Done.

3. The album image doesn't flip when I switch albums.

Well, I still haven't done that XD
4. Make the contact info bold in About. I noticed that it doesn't stand out and it would be good if it did.

Done.
5. I just noticed for the first time that the Facebook and Soundcloud links are missing. xD This will also need to go into some sort of data management.

I'll do that at the same time I'll do the musics and albums.
Hellow?

Blizzard

There might be something you could do to indicate that the file is being downloaded before playing. Can you detect the moment when a file actually plays? You could put a spinner on the play-button if the file wasn't downloaded yet and remove it once the file actually starts playing. Can it be done?

Soulshaker3

August 22, 2015, 11:07:17 am #14 Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 11:09:30 am by Soulshaker3
Actually I don't think so, since that's the request that's taking long not the loading itself. Anyways I've completed the website can find it in the usual place:

http://soulsogame.byethost22.com/Blizzard/

Tell me when I have the gree nlight to send it to you. I've been testing on the host for some time and it seems that those wait times are like 0.5s now.

I'll leave home now, later I'll see if I can do something about that issue

Edit: I forgot to make the part of "links to buy" dynamic, woops, I'll take care of it when I get home
Hellow?

Blizzard

August 22, 2015, 02:25:03 pm #15 Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 02:26:11 pm by Blizzard
And you forgot the album cover art spinning. xD

Apart from that, this seems to be it. Send me the files when you're done and I'll upload it on my site to see how things look. Once everything is the way I want it, just send me your PayPal email and I'll send you the money. If I need some more edits after that, I'll take care of them myself.

Soulshaker3

I think I got everything covered, I'm going to send you the files via PM. And I don't remember ever saying I wanted a payment  :xP:
Hellow?

Blizzard

Soulshaker3

If you didn't saw it already I PM'ed you the files, they should work no problem whenever you put them. I also included instructions on the PHP file on how to add social media links / buy links / albums and musics
Hellow?

Blizzard

I actually added it already. I changed/fixed some stuff and one last problem remains. I just PM'd you about it.