MV Mode 7

Started by Blizzard, November 08, 2017, 01:46:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

Some may already know that I started working on a new game in RMMV. It was all shakey until I wrote my first lines of code. xD I am definitely going to continue working on it and I will release some of my scripts to the public. The one most notable would be a Mode 7 script. Now, I'm wondering what kind of extra features you would like to see in this script, what kind of parameters, what kind of configurations.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

KK20

I guess you should first layout what your Mode7 will entail. I'd assume the angle viewing the horizon could be adjusted. How about drawing distance? Will certain tiles pop up like a picture book (mainly how will "over the character"/star'd tiles work)? I take it no height map as that would be pretty complicated. Rotating the map (also might be too much)?

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Blizzard

November 08, 2017, 02:51:43 am #2 Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:53:45 am by Blizzard
Rotation actually isn't that hard. Since MV has direct access to GL calls, I just need to add rotation to the transformation matrix. Mostly because just adjusting using Mode 7 is already rotating, just by a different axis. Since this isn't manual calculation and rendering like it was done in XP and other RMs, it will actually be ridiculously easy to make the first working version. The majority of the time I will need is figuring out where stuff is in pixi.js to understand what I need to call and what I need to manipulate. xD

Drawing distance is a good one since it can add/reduce lag. I can easily include a horizon fade there as well.

Over the character tiles are a good question. I think the best way is to flatten everything and use events for standing objects / billboard sprites. I don't wanna go full 3D.

Height map probably no. But technically if I can find how the shader is set up or if I can write my own shaders, it could be possible.

If I can do shaders, this actually opens up the possibility for a curved map.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

LiTTleDRAgo

I'd like to see mode 7 with proper collision system, like when jumping your characters can bump into the ceiling, or characters could actually step at the top of objects, like a box, table, chair, etc.

Blizzard

Yeah, that's already in the domain of proper 3D. Let's not go there. xD Even just having a height map is quite complicated. I've implemented an isometric renderer once and it was quite difficult, especially z-ordering.

KK20

Zooming?
Also, ensure that plug-in calls can make smooth transitions from one value to another, e.g.

M7.change_angle(80, 30) // Transition to 80 degree angle in 30 frames

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Blizzard

Yes, of course. This is can all be done with the transformation matrix. :D Technically we can also do skewing.

I like the automated animations thingy. Will do.

Heretic86

Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Blizzard

Shaders need to be done in a custom manner either way most likely. So there's not really a point in integrating them here. Of course, only if shaders are actually supported. I haven't looked into that yet. Working on some other stuff right now.