Understanding Creative Commons Noncommercial for commercial game development

Started by Memor-X, July 28, 2018, 10:05:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Memor-X

So obviously I've been working on a game in RPG Maker XP and along with the development i've been looking into where and how to sell it when it's completed since obviously i want this to be the start of me getting into the games industry.

now while i have been trying to all the scripting myself such as editing the base script and making new systems, there are a couple of scripts i use that have came from where using Creative Commons - Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported. now Attribution and ShareAlike are fine but the nagging concern i have is the NonCommercial Part

QuoteNoncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes

now looking at this, to me it means that most scripts here which use it can't be used for games we would make and hope to sell and as much as i would love to just give my game away for free, there has been costs involved and i hope to raise up money to hire people for my next project.

So i would like to know,

• can i sell my game if i used a script that has this NonCommercial condition?

• is the answer to above the same if i make alterations to the script?

NOTE: i have posted this in Game Development because this is more general Game Development rather than being something unique to RPG Maker

Blizzard

Hi, Memor-X, long time no see. xD We're hanging out in discord most of the time now, FYI.

As for you questions, unfortunately you can't sell your game, even if you alter the script.

That being said, I usually don't mind people using my scripts, but I want them to explicitly ask first. That way I know if somebody stole my script in a commercial game or not. I'm pretty sure most people here at CP would give you permission for their scripts as well.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.