Web Audio API - Changing Pitch and Firefox

Started by Heretic86, April 15, 2021, 11:07:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Heretic86

I put together a simple page that can play back an audio file, and changes pitch by adjusting playbackRate.  Then just to get into the deeper parts of Web Audio API, I saw there was a way to create a visual output of tones in a canvas element.

After I put in the graph canvas tho, I am no longer able to adjust the pitch of an audio file by changing the playback rate, and just in Firefox, but oddly it still works in Chrome.

audio.preservesPitch = false;
        audio.mozPreservesPitch = false;
        audio.webkitPreservesPitch = false;

function graphAnimator(){
      requestAnimationFrame(graphAnimator);
      let fbc_array = new Uint8Array(analyzer.frequencyBinCount);
      analyzer.getByteFrequencyData(fbc_array);
      ctx.clearRect(0, 0, graph.width, graph.height);
      ctx.fillStyle = "#00FFAA";
      for (let i = 0; i < 100; i++){
        let x = i * 3;
        let h = -(fbc_array[i * 8] / 12);
        ctx.fillRect(x, 20, 2, h);
      }
    }

function setupGraph(){
      graph.width = 222;
      graph.height = 20;
      ctx = graph.getContext('2d');
      aCtx = new window.AudioContext();
      analyzer = aCtx.createAnalyser();
      audio_source = aCtx.createMediaElementSource(audio);
      audio_source.connect(analyzer);
      analyzer.connect(aCtx.destination);
      graphAnimator();
    }

Is there a better way to change the pitch of audio?  Honestly, one of the things I did like a bit better about old ass RMXP was its use of MIDI files did not change the playback rate and only changed the tones, but so far, I cant find any reliable ways to play MIDI files, which might be a better solution?  Not sure, and only recently noticed too (or maybe forgotten) that changing Pitch on MP3 / Ogg files does adjust playback rate , lol!

What am I doing wrong that the pitch no longer changes in Firefox but does in Chrome?
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Blizzard

The thing with playback rate is that physically it always changes the pitch (that's just how sound waves work). If you want to change the playback rate without changing the pitch, what internally happens is that the sound wave is actually resampled to maintain the same pitch while speeding up or slowing down the playback rate. It probably depends on the browser whether it supports this or not. Unless you resample the waves yourself, you really won't be able to use that feature if the browser doesn't support it.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.