RPG Maker XP in Javascript, PHP, and MySQL (WIP)

Started by Heretic86, March 16, 2022, 01:51:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Heretic86

March 16, 2022, 01:51:21 pm Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 07:52:21 pm by Heretic86
I am still around, focusing on something a bit different.

I have been experimenting to see if I can remake the RPG Maker XP Engine in Javascript, driven on the back end by PHP and MySQL.

There is a lot of work to do on this, but the Tile Editor is complete and some of the back end stuff is done, Event Editor is a Work in Progress, the game engine itself has not been started yet so this is not playable or even close to Alpha stage...

I am deviating from the XP Editor in many places to try to put in IMPROVEMENTS to things I felt that the XP Editor is lacking.  One thing you can immediately notice is there are four graphic layers instead of 3, and an "Auto" mode...  Other things like "Zoom" by just rolling your Mouse Wheel or "Pan" (like Photoshop) where you can hold down the Spacebar and click drag your mouse to pan the map.

These screenshots are of a WEB PAGE so this is all DONE in PURE HTML and Javascript!  Not even the JQueries (too much overhead)!  Map is just a simple map I slapped together...

Layers:

Zoom Out:

Zoom In: (is this zoomed in enough?)

Improvement: Error Detection (This Event has an error where the Condition Switch is out of range, so it is HIGHLIGHTED)

Zooming and Panning:

If I am able to finish this and you want to make games using this, your players wont need to download or install ANYTHING, the plan is to simply send a LINK and play away, so no version comparability issues!

If you have ANY interest, please POST!

Not just scripters but anyone with a general interest...
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Heretic86

I will try to post some Updates as things happen.

Currently Im working thru the Event Editor, and it is a BEAST to do in HTML and Javascript.  Im doing my best to set up the Event Data to be as similar as RPG Maker XP's Event structure as I can, which will hopefully make things easier for Scripters once we get to that point.

The Event Editor is about 75% complete.  Event Graphics, Pages, Conditions, Move Route Commands and Parameters are done, and Audio are also mostly done.  Right now I am going through each Event Command creating forms for each command, which is a very time consuming process to make each form.  Each form is created to be fully functional, so when the Event Command Forms list properly on the Event Editor screen with proper data.

I just started on Page 3 of the Event Commands (Battle Processing), all the buttons on the previous two pages are DONE.

This is quite different than doing things in Visual Studio as the page requires a ton of CSS styling and javascript listeners, so its actually more work, not less.  The forms are relatively simple, there are just so many of them!

One thing that did throw me off was how to achieve the Color Tone shifting that was achieved in XP without a custom DLL.  The solution I came up with was to use an SVG color matrix filter on an image then draw that filtered image to an HTM5 Canvas element.

Gif is highly compressed so it should load fast for most people and here is the effect in action:

A big part of my plan here is to allow for TEAMS.  Another thing that I hope can be achieved is games created with this should be playable on most modern phones!  I dont have any plans to support touch devices for Game Creation however so the editor is being geared toward PC over mobile.

PM if you are interested in seeing what is already done, and what needs to be done.  I wont post any public links until this is in a further state of development...

Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?
Current Scripts:

Current Demos:

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

KK20

As I've mentioned multiple times before, the CP regulars don't visit the forums at all. I only check it in case some unfortunate soul posts a question about a script on here instead of on the official RM forums.

The biggest concern with your project here is the legality issues. IDK what your plan is regarding the RTP as it is against EULA to use it outside of RM. Absolutely doubt you can publicly release this, which further reduces the size of your potential audience.

And with RM Unite being the next hotness, I don't think anyone wants a purely JS solution anymore. You should have worked with Unity or Godot IMO.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Heretic86

March 22, 2022, 02:28:38 am #3 Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 03:06:29 pm by Heretic86
Fully agree on making it sure that it is fully legal.

For me, this is just more of a passion project, so yes, still playing with this over Unity...  Just a personal preference...

I think the best solution is to work with Enterbrain prior to making games distributable to make sure that users have a valid license for using the RTP assets on any sort of distributed games.  If a person doesn't have a valid license, I plan on setting some stuff up to assist them in getting a valid license.

I already have rudimentary checks set up that will check for uploading known copyrighted material, which currently is just the RTP assets.  The checks I have in place currently are also intended to make it more difficult for any users to steal other users work that they did not license for free use.

Although RPG Maker has been around for a long time by our standards, there is now a whole new generation who have not experienced how much fun it can be to create games!  That means new sales for Enterbrain, if they are willing to allow their XP RTP to be used here when a user has a valid RTP license.  Its their product, so they should be the ones to make profits off of it, not me.

That being said, users will be able to upload their own assets and share, which will be encouraged.

---

Aside from that, Battle Processing in the Editor...

Setting up the stuff to allow for Conditional Branches was quite the chore, next is Shop Processing and thats gonna take some work also...

---

4-21-2022

Not that anyone would be following this, if anyone does, at this time, I really only want a handful of people being aware of what is going on.

The Event Editor is just about complete.  I still need to put in Cut Copy and Paste functionality, which should only take a few hours at tops.  Next up is the Database.

In the XP Editor, there is a button called "Database" where you set up your Items, Actors, Armors, etc.  That is the next very big part, and its gonna be a pain in the buttootie, so expect it to take a while.  Upside is that the Battle Event Editor has everything set up already from the Map Event Editor, so most of that code can be recycled.  Event Editor is a giant pain due to the number of forms that had to be created to handle configuring all of the event command parameters.  And of course, since I overbuild everything, it includes Error Checking.  So if you delete an Item, but you have an Event that lists that Item in a Shop Event, that event and specific command will be highlighted.

Yes, Im still making progress, so YAY for you!
Current Scripts:

Current Demos: