Blizzard's little tricks

Started by Blizzard, January 12, 2008, 12:50:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Calintz

Shining Riku

Thanks a bundle, Calintz!  :up: BTW, I really like the sound of your game project that you're working on. Good luck with it!  :)
Uh, if you need any help, I could prolly help out. :ninja:

Maybe.

Calintz

February 03, 2009, 01:59:54 am #22 Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:03:54 am by Calintz16438
OFF TOPIC
Spoiler: ShowHide
Hey I really appreciate that...
Just keep on checking in there from time to time.

I am always updating the Main Post of the Thread...

Here very soon, I will creating the Title Screen to my game, and from it I will extract enough of the photo to make a banner for my thread. I will do the same for my Sprite Workshop, while adding every completed sprite into the banner itself...

But back to the topic...
I am thinking there should be more to this thread...

How about we all help Blizzard out if he doesn't mind that is?? Wait for a reply before posting anything in here, and if he doesn't mind. I say we all jump in on this and post any little tricks that we might have discovered during out time as game makers =)

winkio

QuoteBlizzard's little tricks

Make your own thread Calintz ;p

Blizzard

Quote from: Blizzard on January 12, 2008, 12:50:57 pm
I am making a collection of simple add ons in the database and/or events and I need your help to make this tute better. Suggestions are more than welcome.
Thanks to:

• Oops, nobody yet

Nope, winkio. ;)
I like the idea, Calintz. :)

Quote from: Calintz16438 on February 03, 2009, 01:24:36 am
...Lol, I am sure Blizzard doesn't care if you tweak the script to adapt to YOUR GAME'S specific needs, so long as you don't attempt to take credit for the changes. Let's face it...Adding an option or two into his CMS doesn't give anybody the right to claim any form of credit...

Yeah, you can edit it all you like. I don't even mind if you credit yourself as editor, but remember to give appropriate credit to me. ;)

Quote from: Calintz16438 on February 03, 2009, 01:24:36 am
Hell, I have tweaked his CMS to fit my game.
My main character has an artbook where you can view the important pictures that are viewed throughout the game. I added this artbook to the menu so that you can view them anytime you feel like it =)

I edited it myself as well. ._.; Well, actually I made my version first, then I removed stuff from it and released it as public script. One reason is that my game uses some special things that are not really plug-and-play for other games. Another one is obviously that my game has original stuff I don't want to share like the info window that explains commands, options and even shows SR ability descriptions when you use it on equipment parts. :P
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

yeah sorry about that.  And my last few posts as well.  They were made at 3 in the morning.  I had bad insomnia last night.

Anyways, besides the fact that you have two a)'s under 3, here is an easy way to make a switch puzzle:

First, create the events for the switches with graphics and all, but nothing in the body yet.
Then, find a single variable that is either a temporary variable or is dedicated to this puzzle.
In the body of each event write a different mathematical operation to do with the command (For example, if you have 4 switches, go with + 3, - 3, * 3, / 3)
Then, find out what the variable would end up as if you hit the switches in the right order (Ex order 1324 == 2, or order 4231 == -6)
Then, just have each of your switches check for that value after you press them.  If the value is correct, let the player move on.

That's it.  I know that it's kind-of lame, but I know people that try and use a ton of switches and conditionals for these things when they really don't need to.

Blizzard

It might be a good idea. I also think my push-to-move would be quite interesting. o.o

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Calintz

I think that this would be a really good topic for posting the general stuff too...

Like, whenever you go to a new forum, you always see questions like: How I make the character jump?? How do I make him run?? And you see this several times by different people. I think this little tricks thread should contain the answer to these over-asked questions as well...

This would be a good thread to add event snippets as well as script snippets...

Calintz

March 13, 2009, 07:29:35 pm #28 Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 08:32:43 pm by Calintz16438
I have a contribution Blizzard...Nothing big, but I am an aesthetics guy, and I found a way to center the Hero's names in the battlestatus window.

7. Battle Status - Center the Hero's Name

• Open the script editor and bring up the Window_Battlestatus script please.

• **If you are using a script that rewrites the Battlestatus window, I suggest that you make these
        changes there...

• Drop down to line #33(def refresh).

• Now find the area of the code that draws the actor name(line #39).

• Replace draw_actor_name with...

case i
      when 0
        draw_actor_name(actor, actor_x + 36, 24)
      when 1
        draw_actor_name(actor, actor_x + 44, 24)
      when 2
        draw_actor_name(actor, actor_x + 32, 24)
      when 3
        draw_actor_name(actor, actor_x + 32, 24)
      else
        draw_actor_name(actor, actor_x, 0)
      end

**In order to center your hero's names, you will need to tinker with the x-coordinate a little bit for each character. A different font will cause a larger appearance, requiring a different x-coordinate, along with the #of letters in each characters name...etc.

**If you have more than 4characters in your party, then you will need to add a condition for each character...

**Changing the y-coordinate is also available :D

Screenshot

Blizzard

Actually there's a better way to center the name. :P

I'm too lazy to update the first post, but feel free to post stuff here.

Calintz

Hey now!!
You just gonna tell us about an easier way, and not reveal it!? :P

**I figured that there would be when I was creating this snippet, because I have seen icons and other text center justified. I just don't know how to justify the text myself, so I used this to go around it. XD

Reno-s--Joker

It's probably just (width - actornamewidth)/2 - that way you don't need to tinker with the numbers. Maybe.

Calintz

I bet it is, but I didn't know the syntax, so I will try to incorporate that now, and we will see what happens. I will get back to all of you momentarily.

legacyblade

If someone figures out how to get the width of a specified string, I could come up with a simple "center name" script

Reno-s--Joker

Shouldn't it be:
actornamewidth = contents.text_size(@actor.name).width

With @actor.name being a string...?

(i.e.
blah = contents.text_size("Reno-s--Joker").width

would work too.)

I see it in custom scripts a lot.

Calintz

Haha, perhaps...

**But an entire custom script would definitely not be needed, which is why I posted this feature into this thread. It is best left as an edit to the default 'battle_status' window.

legacyblade

I'll have something up tomorrow (and I meant script snipper, something like what you posted)

Calintz

Haha ok...I look forward to it XD.

I doubt I will use it, because my system currently works perfect, so...But you can def. throw yours up and outclass mine XD.

Reno-s--Joker

Quote from: Calintz16438 on March 14, 2009, 10:56:45 pm
**But an entire custom script would definitely not be needed, which is why I posted this feature into this thread. It is best left as an edit to the default 'battle_status' window.

I should have said I learned this from custom scripts. You only need one line or something. But I'll let lb do it. <3
;)

Calintz