Permadeath?

Started by Rymdpotatis, August 28, 2008, 01:53:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rymdpotatis

Is it possible to make permadeath? That is, when the player dies the savefile he uses gets deleted and he is forced to make a new character.

Starrodkirby86

So if someone gets a Game-Over, the savefile is gone? Gee, that's a really annoying feature if the player is negligent on saving. Then again, you can easily thwart this with manual backups. Nevertheless, if you want Permadeath of party members, then you can do that through Common Eventing (Parallel Process Common Event or something and make a conditional asking if this party member is in knockout then you remove him).

For the hero itself, I suppose you can do that, it'll be similar to the lines of a temporary save, just find the Game Over screen and get the code for the save deletion...I suppose. I don't know, this is all just assumptions.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Rymdpotatis

Cheers, I'll give it a go.

Blizzard

It's true, somebody could simply make a new game. I don't see any means to make that system since the user can outsmart your system easily. ._.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Viviatus

In anyway that would be quite the frustrating game... Having to start over and over from the beginning. Imagine your like on your way to the final boss and he kills you right away.

TheHackMan

Well I know for some games this doesn't happen instantly but after you die x number of times then your dead for good. One example would be Armor Core 2 for the PS2. Although a robot is easier to repair and revive than a human it all depends on your game and the tech involved and that stuff.

Starrodkirby86

It would easily work better for a tactics like game, such as Fire Emblem. Having your only hero die is really a bad thing. Also, the thing you're saying seems to remind me of a life system, like in Mario or Sonic.

Still, there is a VERY EASY way to avoid Permadeath...All you need to do is save constantly and then copy the savefile into another folder (Maybe rename it for safety). Then if your character dies, you can simply copy that moved savefile and put it where the regular save-stuff is (Renaming it back to the original Savefile name). Voila, you have your save back...Spic-and-span...-_-;

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Rymdpotatis

September 02, 2008, 04:53:04 pm #7 Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:55:52 pm by Rymdpotatis
The point is that when the character dies he is dead. And the player will have to make a new one. It's a basic feature of any roguelike. And a part of the charm that keeps the player coming back for more, trying to stay alive, wanting to see what lies on the bottom of the dungeon.

Never heard of roguelikes? You must be an odd one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

Starrodkirby86:
Yes, that's called savescumming. Noobs do it, but most hardcore roguelike players don't since it ruins the fun.

Blizzard

I guess the best idea is a script with forced save games (you select a slot and everything is saved on it during the game) and just use a savegame deletion command upon death.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.