9 Lord Rescue v1.4.99

Started by TheHackMan, September 01, 2008, 12:07:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHackMan

September 01, 2008, 12:07:35 am Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 12:55:55 am by TheHackMan

Title: 9 Lord Rescue
Version:1.4.99
Genre: Action, adventure, RPG, Sci-Fi
Rating: T - Teen: Adult Language, Violence, Use of alcohol, Adult Situations
System Requirements: 500MB free space
256MB RAM
Intel Pentium 4 processor or higher
Windows XP or Vista

Background of the game:
Well I originally started working on this game back in '04 but after a few months of work just kind of stopped due to school and for a few years kind of just lost interest in continuing the game although every now and then I would dabble a bit here and there. Back in '07 I then picked the game back up for about a month and did some minor overhauls of the starting town and whatnot then just kind of let it fade away. Finally about the start of August I picked back up again and ever since I have been doing overhauls to the graphics since they all were square plain maps. I still have some more graphic overhauls to do on a few old maps but for the most part I have continued to advance the game some more

Story behind the game:
While this isn't the complete story or anything this is a basic synopsis about the game itself and all that good jazz. There were 9 powerful lords who used to rule the land and ensure a general peace and happiness for their citizens. Eventually though, about 20 years before you were born, something happened and one of the lords began to attack the other kingdoms. It is still unknown as to what started this but several rumors have it that he made a pact with an evil that once used to rule the land thousands of years ago. You are a fighter, you have been your entire life, and ever since your parents were killed by an evil that has risen again to plague the land. You have been training with your old friends and school teacher in some basic fighting techniques. You are now 17 years old and with your friends all dead or missing and your master at his death bed you decide its finally time to change things. You are now on a mission to gather friends and create an uprising to bring down the Darkness that has engulfed the land. It has been almost 40 years since the Darkness took over and lately several areas have had some general peace, although nobody knows why, and have been able to prosper. Since your town is one of them you know this is the best time to act. So you gather what armor and weapons you find around the house and decide to set out.

The game's features:
This is what is going to be in the final game(or at least planned)
-47 interactive quests
-12 mini quests
-400 monsters
-35 major towns/cities
-10 small towns
-25 dungeons
-20 Possible team members(some of which might not join up with you)
-Endless fun and awesomeness

Credits:
TheHackMan
Elizabeth B.
Sebastein D.
Bjorn Lynne
Leon Westbrooke
Sthrattoff
Shinami
NAMKCOR
Rune
Berans
Blizzard
The people at Chaos Project and RMXP.org
Shockwave-Sound

Screenshots:
Spoiler: ShowHide

9 Lord Rescue Demo (70.10MB)

9 Lord Rescue 1.4.99 (Graphic Update) (46.63MB)
*You MUST have downloaded and installed the original demo before installing the update.
**This update is just to update some graphics and make minor changes, no major updates are available in this update

Next Demo Release Date: Mid-October
Next Version: 1.5.3
Progress:
-Reworking towns: 100%
-Reworking dungeons: 65%
-Addition of 4 mini quests:33%
-Addition of 2 dungeons/quests: 18%
-Addition of a new town: 50%
-Overall Progress: 57%
What will be updated:
-All old towns and current dungeons will be reworked
-2 more dungeons will be added
-At least 4 more mini quests
-Two more large quests
-Addition of one more town

9 Lord Rescue ©2004-2008 HackMan Games Inc.
Visit: http://www.9lordrescue.com for all game details and updates
All graphics, scripts, and music is property of its respective creator and is used with permission.

Vell

O.o it started ten years before our seventeen year old character guy was born, but it has been in control for forty years?

PLOT INCONSISTENCY ALERT!

TheHackMan

September 01, 2008, 02:02:05 pm #2 Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 02:10:13 pm by TheHackMan
x . x whoops, this is what happens when your trying to multitask math homework and writing a plot summary numbers get all mixed up in the process.
Should now be started 20 years before he was born to make it almost 40 years :P

Vell

37 to be exact. i await a demo.

TheHackMan

Sure, I should have one up within the next 5 hours. Going to try and make a few adjustments and all that good jazz.

Diokatsu

I see Rivy! And Arshes scared me O.o He went woman on me...

Looks like it could have potential but I now await the Demo

TheHackMan

September 02, 2008, 10:27:55 am #6 Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 10:29:12 am by TheHackMan
I wanted to have a demo up last night but I believed that a 150MB install file was a bit too large for a demo file so right now I am in the process of converting all the music files to ogg format to cut that down to about a 40-60MB demo file. I hope to get one up within the next three to four hours however. *trys to find a free converter to finish the last 30 files*

I know that the biggest thing that needs work is about three of the dungeons as they have not been worked on and were last touched when I made them almost 2 years ago so they are a bit, crappy  :<_<: but other then that I don't know of any problems that will be found in the demo.

Blizzard

I'm a bit confused. You have "RMXP.net" in the credits. Are you referring to the old, now disappeared forum before RMXP.org?
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

TheHackMan

>.> That would indeed be the one. Domain change was pretty small so I never noticed it until just now
*changed*
*demo link added*

Diokatsu

thanks! Gonna play it now.

TheHackMan

Awesome, hope to get some feedback in the next 24 hours :D

Sally

September 02, 2008, 09:43:30 pm #11 Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:44:07 pm by Susys
Quote500MB free space
256MB RAM

really 500mb game? and 256mb RAM?

and i will check out your demo tomarrow, today is the last day of my summer vacation.

TheHackMan

That number was based on the 200MB installed game before I compressed all my music to ogg and chopped out a massive set of unused music. I just copied the RAM requirements from the RPG Maker XP homepage so I figure if you need it for the actual program its probably a good idea to have that much to play the games.

Blizzard

Nah, if you don't use the RTP and have all resources and the RGSS10XX.dll in your game, that's all the space you need.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Starrodkirby86

Looking at your game, I see a lot of items from other games, and Aiden has her name changed, just a For Your Information, TheHackMan. I don't know if this game is more for fun or leisure, or a parody even, but whatever it is, I'm perked to play it and I'm going to commit myself to playing it so...at least after school.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

TheHackMan

Yah, I am working on learning how to draw my own stuff so for now I am using other peoples resources until then as place holders. I am working on doing some final graphic overhauls and whatnot to three dungeons and the road from one town to another. I hope to get some feedback from you pretty soon though and I am glad your eager to play :D

Starrodkirby86

I couldn't play the whole game...at the moment. However, I do deem this definitely longer than 30 minutes. Let me give you my feedback for this demo. Please note that this is all constructive criticism/praise, and if I were to type this seriously and words that denote a negative connotation/environment, I'm not maligning your game at all. :P

I do sincerely hope that your final game eradicates a lot of these problems from the demo. What I see in the demo so far isn't total crap, but rather, it isn't a...what do you say, a major success either. I can always go to the assumption that when you began this game, you were a total beginner at RMXP, I can support this by saying your Tent maps are very simplistic and they love the top left corner. The maze map, which is in the beginning, since that's the segment I played so far, is also very Beginner-showing. In a way, the actual game is very novice-like in creation, but the other stuff (I.E. the installer I had to go through, the credits, HackMan Games) make it very professional.

Here's a few questions myself I want to ask you in regards to this demo. I'll give each question a picture, all the pictures are in the next spoiler...coming about...now.

Spoiler: ShowHide

A) There's a spelling error over there. I don't know if you corrected it yet.

B) I got this error when trying to equip a Bronze Sword these two Ghosts dropped in the Training Tent. I don't know why I'm equipping a Bronze Sword in exchange for a Bronze Sword, but oh well.

C) Is this a mapping error or a secret? o,o

D) *This one isn't in the pictures* I began the game and I realize I'm not full HP, is this intentional?

All in all, I really think you should boom up the mapping and some of the eventing. Ghosts huddling around the Teleportation event, especially when there's 9 Ghosts huddling up when I'm battling two of them is really strange. I hope you corrected these errors, whether now or before, and there's probably more out there, but I didn't feel like continuing one for the moment.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

TheHackMan

I really do appreciate your review so far of the game in both a positive and critiquing light.

A) There's a spelling error over there. I don't know if you corrected it yet.
-Corrected as of right now, skipped through that section so many times I am surprised I never noticed it myself XD

B) I got this error when trying to equip a Bronze Sword these two Ghosts dropped in the Training Tent. I don't know why I'm equipping a Bronze Sword in exchange for a Bronze Sword, but oh well.
-I think this MIGHT be due to the fact I have Tons and didn't realize the Wep/Armor requirement thing was in there and added in a separate one. I just removed the additional one and turned on the one in Tons so I will test this out in another 10 minutes.

C) Is this a mapping error or a secret? o,o
-I believe it might be a mapping error if your referring to the single light square in the maze area.

D) *This one isn't in the pictures* I began the game and I realize I'm not full HP, is this intentional?
-I believe its because I have CSBS added on there and its giving a small bonus to a couple classes and since I haven't completely balanced the system or anything I am just leaving it as it is for now.

Arbor and all portions of the town have yet to get their second and latest graphic overhaul. I last worked on it a couple years ago so it still needs some work to get it looking better. I wanted to make the training dungeon just something to get newbies a bit more familiar with the game but yes, like you said, it is very noobish and will get a reworking within the next few days after I get some of the more important dungeons looking better.

GAX

If you need help with character design, I could help out.

It's not that tough for me to find a character sprite and select a name, jobclass, etc...

Rule 2: ShowHide
Quote from: Rule No.2Keep your signatures at reasonable size. The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB and take up an area of 1600px2. That means 2 pictures of 400x200 are fine, one picture of 800x200 is fine and so on. Also your pictures height must not exceed 200 pixels, width can be as big as you want as long as your pictures match the other criteria. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

TheHackMan

September 07, 2008, 04:48:58 pm #19 Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:41:59 pm by TheHackMan
Thank you  for your offer and I will probably take you up on that very soon but for now I am concentrating on getting a few more maps and dungeons made and then will move on to characters and that stuff. How good are you with making monster sprites btw?

-See main post for progress and ETA till next demo-