Deira

Started by Falcon, September 05, 2008, 03:38:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Falcon

That would suck. There's only one character who has a sad past. Tyrius just has an interesting one, but nothing that can't be explained fully in a cutscene or two.

Diokatsu

Quote from: Falcon on September 22, 2008, 08:49:56 pm
Frankly, I believe that idea of revealing everything early is one of the most incredibly stupid ideas I've heard.

Stupid is a bit harsh. In fact, you didn't even tell me why it's stupid to reveal "all" the background. Note how I NEVER said all the background :\ And stop tell people why you won't do an idea with a shitty attitude, because I'm tired of trying to help. Rather than navigate the tides of plot holes with exuces, why don't you actually explain WHY the heck you won't do things.

Chaze007

lol diokatsu, don't waste your breath. do you seriously think he will go "oh...you're right" i think not. some people just, stick to their gut.
Always I Wanna Be With You! Make Believe With You!

Falcon

September 25, 2008, 07:08:18 am #23 Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 07:09:40 am by Falcon
You act like that's uncalled for, you did call my ideas crap also.

QuoteAlso, the fact hat you leave the background a mystery is....to put it lightly it's crap. It's a plot coup[on, free plot somewhere in the story so that you don't have to develop it elsewhere. Look at great stories, Catcher in the Rye, Lolita, War and Peace, and Brothers Karamazov and you see they don't use this bullshit plot device to fabricate a plot but use development in an effort to expel the character. The plot is also quite dynamic, not flipping back to fix holes in itself as it has the ability to do without them.

I already explained why I wouldn't reveal the characters story early on, and why I thought that was a stupid idea; I'm not going to bore the player by showing him backstory they won't give a shit about. Now, I'm not going to argue with you over a book, but in video games, that won't work.

Just curious, do you actually have a game demo or something, I've never seen the idea of revealing background early used.

Blizzard

Actually a majority of the games reveals the background story right away. Or are you seriously telling me you have never played a game where you get to watch scenes for half an hour before you can actually start playing?!
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Falcon

Oh, I may be understanding this wrong, weren't we talking about character background?

If we're talking about the world background, then I totally agree with you.

Blizzard

Character background story my not be part of the world's background, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't talk about it in the beginning. You don't have to say much, just some basics. Of course, this is rather a matter of choice. I'm actually perfectly fine to be dragged into a story (which means not much background story about the world either!) without warning. Stuff can be explained along the way. But you should develop the plot in advance in any case or you will end up going back over and over fixing logical conflicts. I was lucky not to have gone away too far from my original idea while working on CP. I had to fix several pieces of the intro scene because the intro scene is very closely related to the main story which has changed since I started working on the game. As I said, I was lucky that it wasn't too much. I think that's what Dio was actually talking about.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Falcon

I think we may have been misunderstanding each other, I was under the impression he was calling the idea of hiding the character's backstory bullshit; it should be hidden until the player should care about the character enough to sit through the cutscene.

But yeah, me and modern are finishing up the story first.

Blizzard

Maybe we're all misunderstanding each other in some way. O.o;

Spaceman McConaughey

Hello, Falcon. I would like to be apart of your team. I know you've already got mapping covered, but If you have two mappers(good ones at that) you can get many levels done way faster.

Examples:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Spoiler: ShowHide

G_G

Falcon hasnt been on since october 2008, no need to necropost this hasnt been posted in since september

Starrodkirby86

If you really are still interested in joining his team, please post so in RMRK , the main forum he does go to. (Like Dr_Sword, he joined this forum from RMRK)

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Spaceman McConaughey

Damn. Blizzard reall needs to make the necro post warning more visable, but still, I should've looked at the date. xD

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Branden on July 11, 2009, 02:11:54 pm
Damn. Blizzard reall needs to make the necro post warning more visable, but still, I should've looked at the date. xD

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 90 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

*cough* :>

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Spaceman McConaughey

Kirby, if you're like me,(which you aren't :D ) you only look at the message box when you're adding a reply. So, I never notice it.