Falcon's Interior Mapping Tutorials

Started by Falcon, September 06, 2008, 04:29:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Falcon

Reading this, I am assuming you know the basics of mapping, if you don't then other tutorials may help you.

Tutorial One: The Shop
Well, instead of doing a house (there are other tutorials for that) I'm going to show you how to make a shop.

Step One

Alright, to start lets fill the first layer with a wood flooring.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Step Two

Next, lets use the wall autotile to make the outline of the building.

Step Three

Now, let's make rooms. Let's make half of the shop a weapon shop, and the other half an item shop.

Step Four

Alright, now it's time to add some walls, go to the first layer and add the walls.
Tip: Use layers effectively, if something can go on the first layer, put it on the first layer, this opens a lot more possibilities for your map

Step Five

Lets now add counters for the shopkeepers to be behind.

Step Six

Okay, now we need to add some objects, let's add a table and a shelf in the item shop, and lets put some weapons behind the counter of the weapon/armor shop. Let's also put some boxes and other things in the item shop, and let's plan on making a row of armor in the weapon/armor shop.

Step Seven

Hold on though, we can't make a row of armor, we only have three layers, and only two would work! And two armors isn't really a row.
Wrong!
To make a row of armor, put half of the armor on the second layer, and the other half on the top layer. This will allow you to make an row of armor ;)

Step Eight

Tip: Never leave too much empty space on a map
Let's add some things to that wall in the middle of the shop.

Step Nine

Alright, now we need to put some more items in the shop, and we should put items on the table.

Step Ten: The Final Step!

Now that the mapping is done, we need to do one more thing, add shopkeepers and other events!
Tip: The eventing layer is your "fourth" layer. The eventing layer can be used as a fourth layer, in addition, people are part of the map as much as a table is. Remember, your hero isn't the only one in the inn or in the shop!

The final product!

A very nice map, would look good in a large forest town :)

Now, here's a view of all the layers.

Shadonking

this is a very good tut, im good at mapping and it was very helpful to make good looking shop.

Creator Of Music And Games
]

keywords: ShowHide
rmxp rmvx blizz-abs rpg maker xp vx abs cbs cms script tons of addons charsets autotiles HUD

come here if you have a ps3
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=1952.0

Falcon

Thanks.

Y'all may have seen the layout before, many idiots just copy the layout and don't bother to fill the rest of the shop up. I've seen like five projects use the exact shop layout XD

Shadonking

i havent, i dont like copying (much lol) iv made my own design but i used your tips and it looks great.

Creator Of Music And Games
]

keywords: ShowHide
rmxp rmvx blizz-abs rpg maker xp vx abs cbs cms script tons of addons charsets autotiles HUD

come here if you have a ps3
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=1952.0

Pokol DaErran

Nuts, now I have to redo all my houses so they look awesome! XD
Ah, it's awesome anyways. *powers up*
"...Sometimes, the impossible can become possible- if you're awesome!"
--Bolt

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

G_G

Can anyone help me find this tutorial again? The pictures are down and this could really help me out.