Layer Problem...

Started by CrimsonWolf, September 07, 2008, 01:03:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CrimsonWolf

September 07, 2008, 01:03:28 am Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 05:35:29 am by CrimsonWolf
Spoiler: ShowHide

The screenshot kinda says it all, but basically the bridge appears above the ground in the editor (as the ground is on the ground layer, and the bridge is on Layer 2), but in the game it reverses. It doesn't do this anywhere else, just here. Any ideas?

Beautiful demonstration of your problem, points to you on that. Just put it in a spoiler next time, heh. ~Love, Starrodkirby86

Starrodkirby86

September 07, 2008, 01:09:08 am #1 Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 01:10:55 am by Starrodkirby86
The cliff's priority is higher than the bridge's, so it'll appear higher no matter what layer you put it on.

Solution: Make the bridge tiles at the top Events and set them Always on Top. Just hope your bridge isn't obscenely long or an Event lag may occur. Other than that, that's the solution. :D

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

CrimsonWolf

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on September 07, 2008, 01:09:08 am
The cliff's priority is higher than the bridge's, so it'll appear higher no matter what layer you put it on.

Solution: Make the bridge tiles at the top Events and set them Always on Top. Just hope your bridge isn't obscenely long or an Event lag may occur. Other than that, that's the solution. :D

That kinda worked, except now they also go over my character. So if I walk up to them, the bottom of the tile overlaps my hero's head! I tried unticking "Always on Top", but then it didn't appear at all. I've probably just forgotten to do something, so thanks for the help!

Oh, and sorry about the image ;) I'll remember to put it in the tags next time.

Starrodkirby86

Yeah, I figured you didn't want your hero to go there, so Always on Top worked then. You can always set the bridge top's priority higher than the cliff's, that'll instantly settle the problem in a cheap way.

And don't worry about the images, it's not a bad rule violation. ^^

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

Aqua

You could always set the bridge's priority higher than the cliff's in the tileset...

However, this /might/ cause problems if you're using a bridge behind a cliffside because the bridge would appear above it.
Then you'll be able to use an event with the cliffside tileset and set it on 'Always on Top' and it should be fine

Star posted before me... but I added some info.

CrimsonWolf

Thanks both of you. I'll modify the priority for now, and hopefully it won;t cause problems in the future! If it does, i'll just have to do some extra landscaping ;) Thanks again.

CrimsonWolf

September 07, 2008, 05:39:34 am #6 Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 05:56:36 am by CrimsonWolf
Hmm... I've now run into another problem to do with layers and priority.

Because of the direction you can move, if you position the tile in the blue circle like this, it allows you to walk through it from the right. So that the hero essentially jumps from the ground up the cliff. However, If I stop the movement there, the red circle tile won't be able to be walked behind as it's the same tile in use.

Also, I'm currently mapping the top of a mountain which requires me to have a part like this:

so you can see the panorama out the back. But we get a similar problem here where you can't walk on the edge tiles and that changing it would muck it up in other places.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Oh, just found another issue.

I'm assuming this is because there's grass on the ledge above and you're able to pass through grass, to therefore, your character can do this.

Blizzard

1. You need that tile twice. Once with a higher priority and once with priority 0. Don't forget that stuff on the different layers have an additional priority where the higher layer has a has a higher priority.

2. Use that tile on the 3rd layer, not the 1st/2nd.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

CrimsonWolf

Quote from: Blizzard on September 07, 2008, 06:00:53 am
1. You need that tile twice. Once with a higher priority and once with priority 0. Don't forget that stuff on the different layers have an additional priority where the higher layer has a has a higher priority.

2. Use that tile on the 3rd layer, not the 1st/2nd.

I'll try adding another tile with a different priority.

As for 2. it's actually already on Layer 3, so I guess that isn't the problem.

Starrodkirby86

If you still have THAT very problem, refer to this thread, the user evil1357 also had some trouble:

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=1569.0

It's resolved too, so you know it'll work!  8)

CrimsonWolf

That solution didn't work for me. My tiles are already at a priority of 1, so that doesn't fix it either.

Starrodkirby86

For the passability, there's a topic I noticed with this same problem...Located here...

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=1207.0

I don't know any other solution, it's kind of confusing me too, but we'll see what happens. Surely if you merge both topics together (Solution-wise and all) you can find a solution to your very problem...Good luck. XD

CrimsonWolf

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on September 07, 2008, 06:05:05 pm
For the passability, there's a topic I noticed with this same problem...Located here...

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=1207.0

I don't know any other solution, it's kind of confusing me too, but we'll see what happens. Surely if you merge both topics together (Solution-wise and all) you can find a solution to your very problem...Good luck. XD

Ah, that one was pretty helpful. There doesn't seem to be a direct solution, but if I use a whole lot of events, it certainly makes things a fair bit better. Thanks for the help!