[XP] Crystals (Working Title)

Started by tSwitch, September 07, 2008, 01:40:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tSwitch

September 07, 2008, 01:40:20 am Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 01:16:40 pm by NAMKCOR

Temperance Studios Original Production
Chaos Project EXCLUSIVE! (Alpha Preview)

Welcome, Subject 1337.
During your perusal of this topic I hope you come to find some understanding of the task you will be asked to complete.
You will be entered into a brain-intensive, puzzle solving endeavor to which the outcome may be fatal.
Should you be prepared to test your skills against the prepared stages, proceed to the 'Enroll' Link below.
Have a nice day, Subject 1337.

Features:

• Original and refreshing gameplay concept

• 15 Levels of Gameplay

• Vision Cone ranges for Guards

• Tons of Addons by Blizzard

• UMS by CCOA

Prepare yourself for a whole new type of RMXP Game!

Screenshots:
Spoiler: ShowHide

yes, they will look better eventually ;)

Progress:
Story: 100%
Maps: 33%
Resources: 100%
Eventing: 33%
Scripting: 100%
Testing: Alpha
Total Progress: 33%

Enroll Now:HERE!
Demo requires RTP

Credit and thanks:

• Blizzard

• CCOA

• That guy on .org that made the vision cone script

• Enterbrain

• Valve

*Disclaimer: Temperance Studios in no way take credit for ANY of the resources used in creating this game (except the T.S. Intro Graphic).  Temperance Studios only claims credit for the story, dialogue, character personalities, database work, mapping, and gameplay concept.  If the resources are not properly credited and you KNOW the correct author, contact NAMKCOR at Rockman922@hotmail.com so that he might credit it properly.*

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Diokatsu

It's the rmxp version of Portal xD

A game by Namk is bound to be good. I'll try it out!

tSwitch

September 07, 2008, 03:03:39 am #2 Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 03:05:00 am by NAMKCOR
Quote from: Diokatsu on September 07, 2008, 01:49:24 am
It's the rmxp version of Portal xD

A game by Namk is bound to be good. I'll try it out!

the concept is inspired by and influenced by portal, however the gameplay isn't quite the same ;)
and thank you for that vote of confidence :)

Blizzard

Quote from: NAMKCOR on September 07, 2008, 01:40:20 am
Vision Cone ranges for Guards

Lol, I had no idea there was a script for this. xD I made my own and it has least lag since it's integrated into my CEAL. ^_^
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Hellfire Dragon

I cleared the demo 8) It's an interesting game. I like it ;)

Falcon

I'm definatly going to check this out once the jets game is over, this looks nice.

tSwitch

September 07, 2008, 01:16:14 pm #6 Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 01:17:55 pm by NAMKCOR
Quote from: Hellfire Dragon on September 07, 2008, 11:35:43 am
I cleared the demo 8) It's an interesting game. I like it ;)

the demo is the basic tutorial stages that introduce the different gameplay concepts central to the game :)

Quote from: Blizzard on September 07, 2008, 04:46:34 am
Quote from: NAMKCOR on September 07, 2008, 01:40:20 am
Vision Cone ranges for Guards

Lol, I had no idea there was a script for this. xD I made my own and it has least lag since it's integrated into my CEAL. ^_^

it's the same one I used for Case High RPG, all it does is track if the event can see the player, then either activate a switch that causes an event trigger, or makes the event follow the player.

NOTE: The full game will be released to every website I can get myself on, however, the alpha, and beta stages will be released only on CP :)

FlyingHamsta

I played the demo, and it was pretty refreshing.  One suggestion I had was, on the last part of the demo where you could lose, if spotted by the guard you would go to game over screen.  I think you should simply restart the level instead of going to game over, because the game over screen is very long in terms of time.  And if you intend on having some hard levels later on, this could go from frustrating to flat out annoying and unenjoyable to sit through game over every time.

In fact, the part with guard should be changed slightly.  Part of what made Portal fun was the constant action despite it being a puzzle game.  I felt the guard area slowed down the action considerably.  Perhaps have timed traps instead that you must navigate through.

Oh, and not relevant to the gameplay but the comparisons to Portal are inevitable.  Perhaps try and give the 'voice' a more distinct personality.  The sterile computer persona with a dark sense of humor worked for Portal, why not try something different for your own 'voice' to make it a little more interesting.  Just an idea.

Overall I liked it a lot and can't wait for more.

tSwitch

Quote from: FlyingHamsta on September 07, 2008, 05:28:13 pm
I played the demo, and it was pretty refreshing.  One suggestion I had was, on the last part of the demo where you could lose, if spotted by the guard you would go to game over screen.  I think you should simply restart the level instead of going to game over, because the game over screen is very long in terms of time.  And if you intend on having some hard levels later on, this could go from frustrating to flat out annoying and unenjoyable to sit through game over every time.

In fact, the part with guard should be changed slightly.  Part of what made Portal fun was the constant action despite it being a puzzle game.  I felt the guard area slowed down the action considerably.  Perhaps have timed traps instead that you must navigate through.

Oh, and not relevant to the gameplay but the comparisons to Portal are inevitable.  Perhaps try and give the 'voice' a more distinct personality.  The sterile computer persona with a dark sense of humor worked for Portal, why not try something different for your own 'voice' to make it a little more interesting.  Just an idea.

Overall I liked it a lot and can't wait for more.

they are the tutorial stages, they're not meant to be fast paced, cool your jets and wait until you get to the actual game.
Also, I found the parts with the sentries in Portal to be slow sneaking portions, rather than fast paced flinging portions, so even Portal had its balance between fast and slow game progression.

Not only that, but the idea of a tutorial is not to challenge the player with fast paced traps and puzzles, but to introduce basic gameplay structure and basic gameplay mechanics in a simple and clear way.  Notice the first room clearly establishes the switch as an important object, then the crystal as your key out.  the second introduces the crystal's movement, the third adds on the warp tiles, and so on and so forth.  It's not meant to be fast paced, it's a tutorial.

I know comparisons to portal are inevitable, in fact I stated the game is inspired and influenced by it in more ways that one.  I'm going to keep the disembodied voice the way it is for now, I have my reasonings.

As far as the game over goes, when you died in portal there was a distinct PAUSE/STOP, I just used the game over as a quick way to demonstrate that.  I'm working on it.

glad you liked it so far, keep in mind it's only an alpha.