Is this a bug?

Started by TheHackMan, September 07, 2008, 10:24:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHackMan

Well I was working on the starting town to my game to try and fix it up a bit and I have combined a few tilesets and just got all the directional and priority stuff put in from the other ones. I haven't changed anything with the auto tiles and just double checked everything related to them. Well this issue is happening in only TWO squares on the entire tileset. I have tried to replicate the problem elsewhere but to no avail. The first issue is here:
Spoiler: ShowHide

And the other one happens almost identical to this except its when I walk right one square and then all the way to the top.

Chaze007

hmm that part should be non passable.but i never say this before so i dont rlly know :\ ima link some peopel to this to help you out.
Always I Wanna Be With You! Make Believe With You!

Starrodkirby86

Make an event on that space, giving any graphic (Like Fighter01) with the opacity 0. That'll do as a temporary placeholder and prevent your hero from stepping there. It will do in that case. Other than that, check the priorities and tiles very carefully. Maybe that tile is not the top left tile and some other blank space...See what happens.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

TheHackMan

Nothing is there on any other layer or as an event that might make this possible. All other corners and identical places like that are none passable but this one small strip of about 4 squares where it is possible to do this. I know the priorities are correct because I copied the Plains tileset(which copied all priorities and whatnot for that tileset too) and then just replaced it with the new one keeping the same permissions and all that for this stuff.

Starrodkirby86

This might sound like the stupidest solution ever, but it's the last thing anyone would be thinking. Try playing this very map on the regular Game.exe and not the Test Play version. See what you get. Maybe it's a Ctrl thing. Other than that, I suppose a good temporary solution would be just having an event posing as an impassable space.

If you're REALLY unsure what's happening, there's a script by Rataime on .org that shows Passability Tiles on your game. I'll find it if only .org could have been more organized...I'll try though.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

Aqua

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on September 07, 2008, 10:50:28 pm
If you're REALLY unsure what's happening, there's a script by Rataime on .org that shows Passability Tiles on your game. I'll find it if only .org could have been more organized...I'll try though.

Actually, there's an add-on in Tons that does the same thing.  Turn that add-on on, play the game, press F6, and see what happens.

TheHackMan

September 07, 2008, 11:09:18 pm #6 Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 11:13:11 pm by TheHackMan
What makes this even stranger is that I copied the map, and pasted it as a new map. I then edited the properties of the new map and switched it back to the Plains tileset. This did cause several things to disappear as they were no longer on there and when I tried to test the game it acted as if the fence I had previously(disappeared when I switched back tilesets) and in test play it acted as though a fence was there but this time it acted as though the fence were stretched out an extra couple tiles and was blocking other areas as well.

I just tried to compress the game and run it through game.exe and still get the same errors

Did the F6 thing and it shows passable squares JUST in that one section of water where I am having the problem

Starrodkirby86

Then it must be a problem with your merging, though I'm sure there can't be anything wrong. >_< You did a standard tileset and then just added a longer height dimension right? If you did, then I don't know what's the problem...If you didn't...then there may be something funny. D:

TheHackMan

Just expanded the width, added the heights of all maps together and properly merged them all in paint leaving no off centered anything.

Starrodkirby86

Ex...Expanded the width!? o_o

In RPG Maker XP, you're only allowed to have eight tiles for the width and only that. I hope you set the width back to 8 32x32 tiles...That should be...256 I believe?

Well, another way to eradicate this would be to set your very own custom passability permissions, unless you did that already and I'm blatantly ignoring some remarks you made. :P

TheHackMan

September 07, 2008, 11:21:09 pm #10 Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 11:24:47 pm by TheHackMan
Err >.> I meant to say height
I wish I could expand the width XD

For now to solve this problem I just expanded a couple water tiles so now its impossible to get in that little area there with the bug.

Blizzard

That is because of your mapping style. A tile is passable only if on the highest layer that is passable the tile's priority is 0 or when the tiles on all layers are passable. Refer to my mapping tutorial for my style which will save you from stupid passability errors like this. Generally you won't have to remap your maps, but you will need to update them a bit. When you read how I map, you will see what the difference is. The topic is in Tutorial Database.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.