End of the World?

Started by Terry16389, September 10, 2008, 05:12:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry16389

Well, as most of you know, the world was believed to have a slight chance of ending today. Some supercollider or another was supposed to generate a black hole, ending Earth and our entire solar system.

Another theory says that on December 21, 2012, the world is going to end, due to the alignment of the Earth, the Sun, (I also believe the moon, but I don't recall.) and the center of our galaxy (Or is it the universe? I don't remember.), and the end of the Mayan calendar.

I personally believe the world isn't going to end until the time comes when the Sun consumes Earth, as it inevitably will, in about 200 billion years.

Thoughts?

"Anyone can say you can't write, don't let anyone say you don't."

Aqua

December 21, 2012 is one day before I turn 20... T_T
Hopefully this isn't true...

Mmm... I go with your third theory.

Shadonking

i herd that the galaxy is expanding so we wont go into the sun but freeze becuase we will be to far away from it.

an ice age would kill us off anyway and they have happend hundreds of times in the earths live span that we can measure.

so to be blunt were all f*cked any way lol

Creator Of Music And Games
Spoiler: ShowHide
]

keywords: ShowHide
rmxp rmvx blizz-abs rpg maker xp vx abs cbs cms script tons of addons charsets autotiles HUD

come here if you have a ps3
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=1952.0

Diokatsu

September 10, 2008, 05:59:51 pm #3 Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 06:01:53 pm by Diokatsu
The end of the world? End might be a lot of things kid.

The third theory is the only one that makes sense out of those...

Eventutally the world IS going to end, unless of course God aut al.* will save us...

This thread will just go into religion in the end ;_;

* Aut al. is a variation on et al. from the Latin "Et Alii/Aliae/Alia" meaning and others. "Aut" means or

Shadonking

i bloody hope not. :^_^':

the earth relies on somany things all that needs to happen is for one of them to lose control or vanish and its all over for us, but it wont happen in our life time (i hope) so no need to worry much.

the way things are goin the ozone will be the first to give

]

rmxp rmvx blizz-abs rpg maker xp vx abs cbs cms script tons of addons charsets autotiles HUD

Starrodkirby86

Class of 2012's really going to get it...Right out of graduation, the apocalypse is going to strike. Gee, they have a bad life ah---Oh crap, I'm part of the Class 2012! 0_0

Really now, the Mayans have been on a complete accurate event telling, and that's really the only proof why this can actually happen. The Mayans were right about the Romans' downfall, the Mayans were right about their downfall. Scientifically, this can't even be true. Well, it can, but I mean, someone would notice. It's illogical at sometime that soon...Oh well.

Issac Newtwon had an apocalypse prediction himself; 2060. Don't know when though.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

DeathLock

Quote from: Terry16389Well, as most of you know, the world was believed to have a slight chance of ending today. Some supercollider or another was supposed to generate a black hole, ending Earth and our entire solar system.

There's another theory about the Sun consuming the Earth before a black hole could generate.

Quote from: Terry16389Another theory says that on December 21, 2012, the world is going to end, due to the alignment of the Earth, the Sun, (I also believe the moon, but I don't recall.) and the center of our galaxy (Or is it the universe? I don't remember.), and the end of the Mayan calendar.

They are theories and nothing else. They weren't proven, at all. The Mayan's could have stopped? Who knows? We weren't there. Plus, humans still continued along with 2013 and more.

Quote from: Terry16389I personally believe the world isn't going to end until the time comes when the Sun consumes Earth, as it inevitably will, in about 200 billion years.

True.

Blizzard

I fail to see how the prediction of the own downfall is difficult. We will all die as well. Now, when we are all dead and somebody discovers about our civilisation they will say: "OMG, THAT BLIZZARD GUY WAS SO SMART, HE KNEW THEY WERE ALL GONNA DIE!" Seriously, everything ends someday the one way or another. That's the only thing that is certain: the end of something.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Shadonking

true

apart from the smart thing :P lol

life always ends at some point and then the cycle starts all over agian.

]

Blizzard

That's exactly my point. Just because they were able to predict their downfall doesn't mean they were "smart" because of that.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Chaze007

the world is going to end when obese people [like me] weigh it down & it sinks and falls and we freeze? :D
Always I Wanna Be With You! Make Believe With You!

Shadonking

about the black hole, i herd that some scientist's made something that can make one thats so small that you can hardly see it, (personly i dont believe it becuase what is the point of that) to be honsest i did hear it on it on mock the week.

]

Diokatsu

Quote from: shadonking on September 11, 2008, 11:41:42 am
about the black hole, i herd that some scientist's made something that can make one thats so small that you can hardly see it, (personly i dont believe it becuase what is the point of that) to be honsest i did hear it on it on mock the week.

The point of science in the first place is too investigate and observe the wor,d through reasoning and experiementation, or something along those lines. Personally I think it doesn't matter when the world will end, it's just stupid to spend time thinking on. If the world ends tomorrow, you'll die. If the world ended in 200 billion years, you'll all be dead anyways.

Vell

theres one major fail to this thread: everything will end. that is a given.

NOW ENJOY WHATEVER YOU HAVE YOU DAMNED FOOLS!

Diokatsu

Now now, God may save us Ulta. As such, you must accept all views. We have no insight on what goes on outside our reality so the end is NOT a given. And don't give me crap about how there is no religious debates. This thread was bound to cross that line.

Terry16389

September 11, 2008, 05:53:23 pm #15 Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 05:57:32 pm by Terry16389
Quote from: Diokatsu on September 11, 2008, 05:32:58 pm
Now now, God may save us Ulta. As such, you must accept all views. We have no insight on what goes on outside our reality so the end is NOT a given. And don't give me crap about how there is no religious debates. This thread was bound to cross that line.

No, it wasn't bound to cross the line. I was talking about the SCIENTIFICALLY INCLINED theories people have about the world ending, not the religious theories. Not to mention we're talking about the end of the world not humanity, which is what religious texts call an 'end' to, if it can even be called an end, they don't talk about the end of the world.

Anyway, I'm still sticking to my theory that the world ends when the Sun consumes the earth. There's nothing else that has even a close percentage of certainty as that, from what I've seen.

"Anyone can say you can't write, don't let anyone say you don't."

Diokatsu

Change the topic then.

Of course the scientifically bound theories all are based on the assumption the world will end and no variance will occur in time. I'd love to see time stop xD

TheHackMan

September 11, 2008, 06:02:16 pm #17 Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 06:03:27 pm by TheHackMan
Quote from: Terry16389 on September 10, 2008, 05:12:13 pm
Well, as most of you know, the world was believed to have a slight chance of ending today. Some supercollider or another was supposed to generate a black hole, ending Earth and our entire solar system.

This rumor is a load of bullshit on so many levels. For one we are already doing the same thing and the people who say this stuff spew this crap every time a new super-collider comes online. The truth is they are smashing photons of light and even if that near impossible chance came to be the black hole would be the size of a photon of light which won't do a thing. It would take a black hole at least as big as our sun to destroy the earth.

The biggest threat to life on earth is the current global warming threat we are facing right now and aside from that the next thing we have to worry about is in 2029 I believe when there is a 1:1000ish possibility that an asteroid will pass through a keyhole and hit us 7 years later(April Friday 13th).

As far as the total destruction of earth goes that will be happening in about 200 billion years as the sun continues to expand and due to gravitational forces it will probably stop expanding just short of the earth due to the fact that as the sun moves out the other planets will slowly move away too. The destruction will happen when the sun finally collapses into a red dwarf and the shock wave will spread out and turn the solar system into a few small rock balls and some dust and whatnot.

*The super-collider you are referring to is the LHC(Large Hadron Collider) run by CERN

Starrodkirby86

I was about to mention if an asteroid hits Earth and we are unprotected, we're screwed. You ever seen this video of a Japanese simulation if an Asteroid of a huge size does hit Earth? My, it was just destructive. Of course, the asteroid just HAD to kill Japan first...>_>

Nevertheless, the end of the world is not going to be anytime near. If it is, then Science instantly turned illogical and it's all crazy. I seriously can't wait to go bananas when the apocalypse arrives if it really is that near. But I doubt it'll be near, and by the next billion years, we'll all be extinct or humanity would leave Earth anyway. Who knows what will happen, we'll all not experience it after all...I mean, we'll be all dead!

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

Chaze007

what the hell are you talking about? god is going to kill us O.O...

jesus: GOD WHAT THE HELL? I'M GONE FOR ABOUT 2 THOUSAND YEARS AND LOOK WHAT THE FUCK YALL DO TO MY PLANET! MAN IN OUT OF HERE *goes back to heaven*

*world plunges & collides with hell*

oh noes ]:
Always I Wanna Be With You! Make Believe With You!

Blizzard

Quote from: TheHackMan on September 11, 2008, 06:02:16 pm
It would take a black hole at least as big as our sun to destroy the earth.

Very wrong. It's not only about the size, it's about the mass. If you would compress of an object the mass of the Earth into less than 9mm radius (called Schwarzschild Radius), it would collapse into a black hole that would consume the planet.

And this is a debate about the destruction of Earth, not about the aftermath. No religion.

jcsnider

Wow nice thread...
Anyways the black hole is out of the question... It would take too long to build up to destroy/ suck in the planet.
The sun sucking in the earth is also out of the question because something will happen before 200 years like an astroid be better be even more advanced in technology if we would want to stop something like that.

Mayan calander I say is just something to scare us, Ever think the Mayan didn't want to continue a calander that they wouldnt be alive for?

Also the Sun/Earth/ and Moon lining up? Why should we be scared of that? How many times has Mercury or Venus lined up with the sun and what not....

Still all of this is weird to think about, most of it we will all be dead when it happens or if it does we will all die anyway  :(

Hopefully God or something will save us  :cclove:

DeathLock

Quote from: jcsniderAnyways the black hole is out of the question... It would take too long to build up to destroy/ suck in the planet.

Incorrect, a black hole can easily destroy Earth.

Quote from: jcsniderThe sun sucking in the earth is also out of the question because something will happen before 200 years like an astroid be better be even more advanced in technology if we would want to stop something like that.

The isn't sucking in the Earth, its getting large and it will go supernova.

jcsnider

never the less, a black hole would still take to long to build up and in 200 billion years repeat that over and over again something WILL happen in 200 billion years

Either way we will be dead

Vell

Black Hole = GRAVITY.

from what I'm told a black hold the size of your finger can absorb the mass of a large star in days.

it wouldn't take much to gravitate us into something.

from what I'm told.

I never seem to be told truth, for some damned reason i all of hell and the skies.

Starrodkirby86

A black hole is all theory, but it is definitely powerful. You shouldn't underestimate it, even if it's small. That's to say, you shouldn't underestimate the power of one. What are the chances of a Black Hole appearing around our area anyway?  :???:

DeathLock

Quote from: jcsniderEither way we will be dead

Exactly.

Quote from: UltaFlameBlack Hole = GRAVITY.

Yes, that is what the theory states.

Quote from: Starrodkirby86A black hole is all theory, but it is definitely powerful. You shouldn't underestimate it, even if it's small. That's to say, you shouldn't underestimate the power of one. What are the chances of a Black Hole appearing around our area anyway? :???:
Who knows? Maybe a black hole could start right now. As you said, its a theory.

Phasedscar

September 25, 2008, 06:10:27 am #27 Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:15:38 am by Phasedscar
Quote from: TheHackMan on September 11, 2008, 06:02:16 pm
Quote from: Terry16389 on September 10, 2008, 05:12:13 pm

This rumor is a load of bullshit on so many levels. For one we are already doing the same thing and the people who say this stuff spew this crap every time a new super-collider comes online. The truth is they are smashing photons of light and even if that near impossible chance came to be the black hole would be the size of a photon of light which won't do a thing. It would take a black hole at least as big as our sun to destroy the earth.

Though I agree with you on the super collider, I should correct you on this.  Photons have no mass, they're just the particle of light.  Light acts as both a wave and a particle, and the particle portion of light's behavior is called the photon.

I think you're thinking of neutrons or quarks, since both don't have a charge.  These are actual particles that will be accelerated to 99.99% the speed of light (185,999 miles an hour) and then smashed into eachother.  Now it IS possible this could generate a black hole, but the black hole would be the size of about..  one one trillionth of an atom and weight as much as the two neutrons minus roughly a third of their mass due to the fusion process.  Needless to say, that's such a small amount of weight that the black hole would evaperate before it becomes a threat.

The biggest threat to life on earth is the current global warming threat we are facing right now and aside from that the next thing we have to worry about is in 2029 I believe when there is a 1:1000ish possibility that an asteroid will pass through a keyhole and hit us 7 years later(April Friday 13th).

Though global warming is now considered real, even though it's still a theory.  We need to consider that humans have contributed less than 3% of the current carbon dioxide in the atmosphere right now.  A single volcanic eruption roughly equals 100 times the yearly output of carbon dioxide that humans produce right now.  My point being that reducing carbon immissions wont save the earth.  Doesn't mean we shouldn't take care of the planet however.

We're due for a major impact however.  Roughly speaking there should be a major impact once every 100,000 to 200,000 years.

As far as the total destruction of earth goes that will be happening in about 200 billion years as the sun continues to expand and due to gravitational forces it will probably stop expanding just short of the earth due to the fact that as the sun moves out the other planets will slowly move away too. The destruction will happen when the sun finally collapses into a red dwarf and the shock wave will spread out and turn the solar system into a few small rock balls and some dust and whatnot.

Our star is a medium sized yellow dwarf star.  It's average lifespan is about 12 billion years.  Right now it's 5 billion years old.  In about another 5 billion years the hydrogen core will deplete itself, eat into it's helium, and so on until it converts sodium into iron.  At that point it'll expand and the outer photosphere will be in earth's orbit, which will slow down the Earth eventually causing the sun to swallow it whole.

BTW, our sun is too small to supernovae, it will however turn into a stellar nebulae, but we'll all be dead long before that.

My guess will be either the asteroid or comet that will bring an end to humanity.
Afterall, even with extreme weather patterns from Global Warming, we could develop technology to deal with it.  And there's nothing we can do about the sun swallowing the earth in 5 billion years.  But I hope at that point we aren't still relegated to our little blue spitball.
My own game project & My resource workshop! (respectively)
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=608.0 http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=682.0

What that is? Affection area for flails. - Blizz-ABS, the ultimate ABS

The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB. The height must not exceed 200 px and the width must not exceed 800 px. Altogether they may take up an area of 160000 px2. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

tSwitch

September 25, 2008, 10:08:58 am #28 Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 10:10:46 am by NAMKCOR
the supercollider couldn't have caused a black hole.  A black hole is caused by mass compressing to an extremely small point, creating a large gravitational disturbance (if requested, I will provide diagrams to explain myself).  Given that photons have no -measurable- mass (how can they be affected by gravity if they have none**) they couldn't create a black hole, as in order for a black hole to form, mass must compress even smaller onto a very small point, to create the necessary disturbance.  The photons have such little mass, that even if they collapsed upon themselves, they couldn't create the necessary mass to size necessary to create that large a gravitational force.

**light is sucked into black holes and curves around massive bodies such as planets and stars, therefore gravity effects it. If it had no mass/weight it wouldn't be affected by gravitational pull, as in order for something to be affected by gravity it must be made of -something- for gravity to pull (gravity is defined as the force of attraction between two massive bodies, massive meaning having mass) and thus have mass. (theoretically of course)

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Blizzard

September 25, 2008, 03:22:14 pm #29 Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:25:46 pm by Blizzard
Don't forget that mass is a mere effect of energy and not energy itself. Photons may have no mass, but they are energy. Something similar works for the conventional particles protons, electron and neutrons. They have a mass, but that mass is the equivalent of the energy which that mass represents. Actually "mass" doesn't exist. Mass is simply the relative effect of gravity which makes gravity the effect between two forms of energies. Photons are not affected by this most probably because they are a different form of energy than atoms' particles.

Also yes. The super collider can't cause a black hole big enough to become dangerous. Even if the newly created particle becomes small enough to have a radius smaller than the required Schwarzschild Radius, its mass wouldn't be enough to create a gravity field strong enough to suck up other particles before it vaporizes. Basically the same what Phasescar said.
In case you didn't know, the empty space between particles is huge relatively to the size of those particles. If a proton was as big as a golf ball, his closest electron would be away like a couple of kilometers.

I agree on everything else with Phasedscar except for the percentage of human contribution to global warning. I read somewhere that it was less than 1%. But then again, the author of that text could have been wrong. The point is that humans contribute much less than we may think. In any case we should concentrate on saving the planet. We might not be the reason it goes down in the end, but we could have prevented it probably.

BTW, quarks do have a charge. ;)

Pokol DaErran

I saw this somewhere, and decided to make my own.  It's a convenient way to tell if the LHC destroyed the world!
Has the Large Hadron Collider destroyed the world yet?: ShowHide
NO.
"...Sometimes, the impossible can become possible- if you're awesome!"
--Bolt

Blizzard

I saw that site, but I don't remember the URL.

KRoP

As for 2012, that's all bull.  Do you want to know why?  Because that's not the only "theory" (though, have you noticed that there hasn't been any evidence behind it?  It seems more like a rumor to me) that has been created to happen on 2012.  This suggests that these are only random ideas spread as a trend.

But yeah that's just my opinion. :.)

Shadonking

of course there just making this stuff up, the world isnt going to end any time soon and by that time we will be dead anyway.

]

Blizzard

Did you actually know that even Nostradamus' prophecies were altered to fit more into the scheme so that they seem true? So much about prediction of the future. -_-

Vell

Nostradamus?

the only prophecy I ever believed was when that guy asked 'if i go to war with ___ what will happen?'

'if you go to war with ___ a great nation shall fall'

...well, theres a war going on between Iraq and America right now, i think that prophecy is relevant.

...NOTE: if any kind of a debate starts up about the war, then I am avoiding Intelligent Debate forever.

on the 2012 thing.

I think it might be true, but then, I've always been the kind of person to believe that the ancients were more intuned with something (i mean, Im somewhat of the belief that being born near midnight can lead to being slightly in touch with the spirit-world of sorts) that we now dont even know CAN exist, and that, as there is always a logical explanation for things, so is it true that there is an equally illogical explanation.

Blizzard

I completely agree with you there. Except for the midnight birth thing as it doesn't make any sense to me. -_- I mean, why the heck should this happen?! What is midnight actually? It's a number defined by humans. That's the same as being frightened from friday 13th. Numeric notations were made up by humans for Christ's sake!

Vell

and that is why it has significance for Humans. because it is so deeply rooted into humanity that midnight is the cross between two things, it has become of some significance to us.

thats my reasoning for it.

KRoP

As for global warming, I think yer lookin' in all the wrong places.  It's not what has been added to the atmosphere, it's what's been taken away. (If that makes any sense :P)

Valcos

I personally dont care when the end of the world happens. I honestly just want to do the stuff in my life that are important to me till the day I die. Cause... when Im dead if Earth is here or not I wont make a difference to me cause Im dead. :haha:
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

Blizzard

October 25, 2008, 03:13:47 pm #40 Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 03:15:20 pm by Blizzard
I pretty much agree with you there. When we die, we die.

@KRoP: Yes, it does. To me at least. xD

Quote from: UltaFlame on October 23, 2008, 06:36:06 pm
and that is why it has significance for Humans. because it is so deeply rooted into humanity that midnight is the cross between two things, it has become of some significance to us.

thats my reasoning for it.

Actually you're right. It may be made up by humans, but it works like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

legacyblade

Quote from: UltaFlame on October 21, 2008, 08:50:44 pm
I think it might be true, but then, I've always been the kind of person to believe that the ancients were more intuned with something (i mean, Im somewhat of the belief that being born near midnight can lead to being slightly in touch with the spirit-world of sorts) that we now dont even know CAN exist, and that, as there is always a logical explanation for things, so is it true that there is an equally illogical explanation.

Hey, I was born like 15 mins after midnight! XD

about the end of the world thing, I agree with those who say who cares.

Earlier blizz said mass is just a term for gravitational interaction. According to my science book, that's weight. Mass is what gravity interacts with to create weight. so if you take something with a mass of 3 to the moon, it'll weigh less, but have the same mass.

Anyways, if the world ends, I think it'll be by us blowing ourselves up, XD We'll be dead before the sun blows up, most likely.

Blizzard

Actually I was right. It's mass that is important, not weight. Weight is the effect that two masses have at each other. Weight is force and can vary while mass can't. Weight is proportional to mass and inverse proportional to the square of the distance between their so-called mass centers.

Vell

ahhhh science in End of the World. WE JUST FIGURED OUT HOW WE DIE!

Valcos

Lmao! :haha: I get enough science in science class.... -_-"

But yeah... we'll probably kill ourselves before the sun does or w.e :o
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

HELLO1470

Hi, My theory is that we will be killed of by something other than the sun chewing us up.

Maybe a disease or an animal... The thing is, it will be so long until the Sun chews us up we will be hit by multiple HUGE meteors, several of fatal diseases will kill loads of the population, or maybe we just cant be bothered to live anymore.

Personally i think that the world ending in 2012 is a load of (SWEAR!!!)

The mayans just took a random guess and hoped for the best.
Hopefully i can get a reply because i think this post is dead...
:O.o:

Spaceman McConaughey

HELLO1470, this is the second time(that I've seen) you've necro-posted. :o

But to comment on your theory: that is a very good point, I must say.

Blizzard

February 26, 2010, 02:29:58 am #47 Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 09:09:45 am by Blizzard
The post is relevant so necroposting is fine. *points to rules*

I'm still convinced nothing is going to happen.

EDIT: *deletes spam posts* Don't spam in Intelligent Debate.

SwiftDeathSK

Wait, the world is going to end?

You know, humans are a crafty race, we are survivors at heart. If we don't blow ourselves up (which, imho, really isn't as big of a threat as you would think - those who can press the buttons are smarter than that, at least to some degree), then I'm sure we will eventually reach a technological era where we populate other planets and leave our solar system. Maybe humanity will never die, as long as the intelligent few continue to strive. Needless to say that the population, at least in the US, is noticeably dumbing down because "derp" hooks up with "derpa" and make little baby "Derpa-derp", thus making things worse.
But back to the topic of the end of the world: maybe this expected apocalypse will never come, at least not in our current evolutionary form.

Just my two cents.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Bug Catcher Swift on February 26, 2010, 08:53:36 pm
Wait, the world is going to end?

You know, humans are a crafty race, we are survivors at heart. If we don't blow ourselves up (which, imho, really isn't as big of a threat as you would think - those who can press the buttons are smarter than that, at least to some degree), then I'm sure we will eventually reach a technological era where we populate other planets and leave our solar system. Maybe humanity will never die, as long as the intelligent few continue to strive. Needless to say that the population, at least in the US, is noticeably dumbing down because "derp" hooks up with "derpa" and make little baby "Derpa-derp", thus making things worse.
But back to the topic of the end of the world: maybe this expected apocalypse will never come, at least not in our current evolutionary form.

Just my two cents.

Yeah, if we destroyed this planet, just abandon it and look for a new one to wreck. Throwaway society at its best. Seriously, who cares if a few animals or even big parts of the planets nature die during the process? They are just there for our amusement anyways.

That being said, I seriously hope the other planets will be spared from humanity.

SwiftDeathSK

I never said we were a good thing  :evil:

winkio

Yeah, big bad humanity.  Oh wait, never mind, humans are the best thing that ever happened to Earth as a planet.

fugibo

Quote from: Arceus on February 27, 2010, 06:29:42 pm
Yeah, big bad humanity.  Oh wait, never mind, humans are the best thing that ever happened to Earth as a planet.

Well, you could say that we made it "worthwhile," but you can't say that we exactly helped the other life on the planet. That's very arguable.

I do like your viewpoint, though.

winkio

Here's something to think about:  When all life was still single celled, a small new organism evolved that processed the poisonous Oxygen molecules in order to survive.  It was so competitive that it wiped out or assimilated into virtually all other life on the planet.  End result: the development of complex, oxygen-based multicellular organisms.  Cost: the extinction of almost all non-oxygen based life forms.

Blizzard

Just because you're the best in your category and have survived doesn't mean you're perfect or that you're good in any other category. Just because humans are the most intelligent species on this planet doesn't mean we're doing only good things to the planet.

Did you know that if every person in India or in China would get their bills on a piece of paper, that we wouldn't have any forests at all anymore?

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Arceus on February 27, 2010, 09:03:13 pm
Here's something to think about:  When all life was still single celled, a small new organism evolved that processed the poisonous Oxygen molecules in order to survive.  It was so competitive that it wiped out or assimilated into virtually all other life on the planet.  End result: the development of complex, oxygen-based multicellular organisms.  Cost: the extinction of almost all non-oxygen based life forms.

I do and did know about that. I even think we will never be able to destroy this planet, since "earth heals herself" (buckethead song names ftw). Nature will nearly always be able to adapt to the circumstances, even when we completely destroy it. This doesn't mean that it's right to do it, at least in my opinion every lifeform has a right to live and exist and shouldn't be wiped out conciously, since humanity is a species that can think about what they do unlike one-celled organisms. I sadly can't explain my point any further since my english still sucks,
but in my post up there I was just, sarcastrically, making fun of the statement "Even when we destroy this planet, we could just use the next one."

Blizzard

Nature can recover only in time. I think "destroying Earth" here means something like messing things up so badly that it will take tens thousands of years of more to repair the damage we've done.

Also, we could blow up the planet in future, you can never know. RECOVER FROM THAT, MOTHER NATURE!

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Champion Blizzard on February 28, 2010, 07:14:52 am
Nature can recover only in time. I think "destroying Earth" here means something like messing things up so badly that it will take tens thousands of years of more to repair the damage we've done.

Also, we could blow up the planet in future, you can never know. RECOVER FROM THAT, MOTHER NATURE!

"Only in time" I guess you mean that by human standards. Against all thr time the evolution of life took, recovering from whatever we could do would be nothing.
Also, I believe you won't find enough material on earth for a bomb that could do any "serious" harm to it, but I can't prove it, so whatever. We're not allmighty after all.

Blizzard

It's not about quantity. A nuclear bomb doesn't use relatively much material, yet it's quite devastating. Imagine what we will be able to do when we work out fusion.

tSwitch

Reading a few posts back, I love it when people talk about the Mayans like they were a bunch of total idiots who didn't know what they were doing.  I mean, it's not like they could ACCURATELY PREDICT WHEN THE NEXT ECLIPSE WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.  Oh wait...

I don't think the world is going to end, rather, I think it'll be a form of Paradigm shift.  Basically it means some new cycle entirely, not an end as much as a beginning.

That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes,
an aeroplane - Lenny Bruce is not afraid.
Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn,
world serves its own needs, dummy serve your own needs.
Feed it off an aux speak,, grunt, no, strength,
The ladder starts to clatter with fear fight down height.
Wire in a fire, representing seven games, a government for hire and a combat site.
Left of west and coming in a hurry with the furies breathing down your neck.
Team by team reporters baffled, trumped, tethered cropped.
Look at that low playing!
Fine, then.
Uh oh, overflow, population, common food, but it'll do.
Save yourself, serve yourself. World serves its own needs, listen to your heart bleed dummy with the rapture and the revered and the right - right.
You vitriolic, patriotic, slam, fight, bright light, feeling pretty psyched.

It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Six o'clock - TV hour. Don't get caught in foreign towers.
Slash and burn, return, listen to yourself churn.
Locking in, uniforming, book burning, blood letting.
Every motive escalate. Automotive incinerate.
Light a candle, light a votive. Step down, step down.
Watch your heel crush, crushed. Uh-oh, this means no fear cavalier.
Renegade steer clear! A tournament, a tournament, a tournament of lies.
Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives and I decline.

It's the end of the world as we know it. (It's time I had some time alone)
It's the end of the world as we know it (It's time I had some time alone) and I feel fine.
(I feel fine)

It's the end of the world as we know it (It's time I had some time alone) and I feel fine.

The other night I dreamt of knives, continental drift divide. Mountains sit in a line
Leonard Bernstein. Leonid Brezhnev. Lenny Bruce and Lester Bangs.
Birthday party, cheesecake, jelly bean, boom!
You symbiotic, patriotic, slam book neck, right? Right.

It's the end of the world as we know it (It's time I had some time alone) and I feel fine...

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

GrieverSoft

I'll give you that, the Mayans Long-Count calendar could be perceived as being startlingly accurate and that's the same logic as horoscopes being accurate.  The reason it stops at 2012 is not the end of the world, but rather they just stopped calculating it.  Y'know, on account of them being too busy being conquered by the Spanish.
I like pie.  The pie is also evil.

winkio

I thought the reason it ended at 2012 was because it was the most appropriate exponentially.  Because it was on a circle of large radius, they could either end at 2012, or something in the 30,000s I think, if they extended the radius.

edwardthefma

well i bleave the myan wer smart and maid a relly long calender and now that we are coming to the end
means what what do we do wen the calender year ends XD it starts allover agane  :D
i am the lead dev for the shellium mmorpg project
http://wiki.shellium.org/w/Mmorpg
shellium.org :) free linux shells pm me and i will gladly
help you get 1

Zeriab

The world ends I die.
If I am wrong? Well, it's not like you'll be to tell me the happy news  :<_<:

Blizzard

That kind of thinking reminds me of this site.

Spoofus

eh if the world doesnt end by 2012
man will find a way to end the world after all the most common path in human nature seems to be destruction

My Blog site I am working on: http://spoofus.weebly.com/

Lakieth

:evil:I think that we wont die in 200 billion years or wutever im pretty sure that if everyone in the world all picked a year the end would happen and people could'nt pick the same year as someone else2 things would happen

1. when the end did happen one person no matter the real intelligence of him would be considerd a genuis

and....

2. Mass chaos would happenand the one guy to pick that year would be right only one person to a year woul cause ww3

poxy

Quote from: Wikipedia
Misinterpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar is the basis for a New Age belief that a cataclysm will take place on December 21, 2012. December 21, 2012 is simply the first day of the 14th b'ak'tun.

Besides that point, the end of a calendar has no meaning in of itself. If my calender ends on Dec 31, 2012 I don't assume the world ends, I go out to buy a new calendar. The choice of Mayan's calendar is pretty arbitrary as a super intelligent people with knowledge of the future, anyway.

Sorry to shatter the dreams of apocalypse nuts, but you guys still owe for y2k.

About the LHC; I'm pretty sure they don't collide photons but electrons or alpha particles.
Some people assumed the LHC would bring about the end of the world and decided to sue CERN. CERN created an investigative body to look into the possibility of the two predicted senarios: the creation of a black hole, and the strange matter catastrophe. They found the possiblities highly unlikely.

The strange matter catastrophe I think is the more interesting one, if I remember correctly it's strange quarks arranging in such a way to produce "strange matter", which procedes to interact with the nearby matter to cause a cascade of transformation of everything on Earth into "strange matter."

Anyway, it's a good thing the eggheads are dealing with the particle smashing otherwise there would be more reason to worry.
My Project: ShowHide

Blizzard

Maybe we all turn into strangelets. #_# You gotta love this site.

I don't know what's worse, the people who starts idiotic rumors of the end of the world or the people who actually believe it.

poxy

Quote from: Blizzard on May 07, 2010, 02:46:24 am
Maybe we all turn into strangelets. #_# You gotta love this site.

I don't know what's worse, the people who starts idiotic rumors of the end of the world or the people who actually believe it.

LOL'd at that website.. so informative.

What get's me most about 2012 is tall the money made on the dozen's of books written on it. Maybe it's some sort of money making conspiracy...  :roll: : p
My Project: ShowHide