End of the World?

Started by Terry16389, September 10, 2008, 05:12:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

Quote from: TheHackMan on September 11, 2008, 06:02:16 pm
It would take a black hole at least as big as our sun to destroy the earth.

Very wrong. It's not only about the size, it's about the mass. If you would compress of an object the mass of the Earth into less than 9mm radius (called Schwarzschild Radius), it would collapse into a black hole that would consume the planet.

And this is a debate about the destruction of Earth, not about the aftermath. No religion.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

jcsnider

Wow nice thread...
Anyways the black hole is out of the question... It would take too long to build up to destroy/ suck in the planet.
The sun sucking in the earth is also out of the question because something will happen before 200 years like an astroid be better be even more advanced in technology if we would want to stop something like that.

Mayan calander I say is just something to scare us, Ever think the Mayan didn't want to continue a calander that they wouldnt be alive for?

Also the Sun/Earth/ and Moon lining up? Why should we be scared of that? How many times has Mercury or Venus lined up with the sun and what not....

Still all of this is weird to think about, most of it we will all be dead when it happens or if it does we will all die anyway  :(

Hopefully God or something will save us  :cclove:

DeathLock

Quote from: jcsniderAnyways the black hole is out of the question... It would take too long to build up to destroy/ suck in the planet.

Incorrect, a black hole can easily destroy Earth.

Quote from: jcsniderThe sun sucking in the earth is also out of the question because something will happen before 200 years like an astroid be better be even more advanced in technology if we would want to stop something like that.

The isn't sucking in the Earth, its getting large and it will go supernova.

jcsnider

never the less, a black hole would still take to long to build up and in 200 billion years repeat that over and over again something WILL happen in 200 billion years

Either way we will be dead

Vell

Black Hole = GRAVITY.

from what I'm told a black hold the size of your finger can absorb the mass of a large star in days.

it wouldn't take much to gravitate us into something.

from what I'm told.

I never seem to be told truth, for some damned reason i all of hell and the skies.

Starrodkirby86

A black hole is all theory, but it is definitely powerful. You shouldn't underestimate it, even if it's small. That's to say, you shouldn't underestimate the power of one. What are the chances of a Black Hole appearing around our area anyway?  :???:

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

DeathLock

Quote from: jcsniderEither way we will be dead

Exactly.

Quote from: UltaFlameBlack Hole = GRAVITY.

Yes, that is what the theory states.

Quote from: Starrodkirby86A black hole is all theory, but it is definitely powerful. You shouldn't underestimate it, even if it's small. That's to say, you shouldn't underestimate the power of one. What are the chances of a Black Hole appearing around our area anyway? :???:
Who knows? Maybe a black hole could start right now. As you said, its a theory.

Phasedscar

September 25, 2008, 06:10:27 am #27 Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:15:38 am by Phasedscar
Quote from: TheHackMan on September 11, 2008, 06:02:16 pm
Quote from: Terry16389 on September 10, 2008, 05:12:13 pm
Well, as most of you know, the world was believed to have a slight chance of ending today. Some supercollider or another was supposed to generate a black hole, ending Earth and our entire solar system.

This rumor is a load of bullshit on so many levels. For one we are already doing the same thing and the people who say this stuff spew this crap every time a new super-collider comes online. The truth is they are smashing photons of light and even if that near impossible chance came to be the black hole would be the size of a photon of light which won't do a thing. It would take a black hole at least as big as our sun to destroy the earth.

Though I agree with you on the super collider, I should correct you on this.  Photons have no mass, they're just the particle of light.  Light acts as both a wave and a particle, and the particle portion of light's behavior is called the photon.

I think you're thinking of neutrons or quarks, since both don't have a charge.  These are actual particles that will be accelerated to 99.99% the speed of light (185,999 miles an hour) and then smashed into eachother.  Now it IS possible this could generate a black hole, but the black hole would be the size of about..  one one trillionth of an atom and weight as much as the two neutrons minus roughly a third of their mass due to the fusion process.  Needless to say, that's such a small amount of weight that the black hole would evaperate before it becomes a threat.

The biggest threat to life on earth is the current global warming threat we are facing right now and aside from that the next thing we have to worry about is in 2029 I believe when there is a 1:1000ish possibility that an asteroid will pass through a keyhole and hit us 7 years later(April Friday 13th).

Though global warming is now considered real, even though it's still a theory.  We need to consider that humans have contributed less than 3% of the current carbon dioxide in the atmosphere right now.  A single volcanic eruption roughly equals 100 times the yearly output of carbon dioxide that humans produce right now.  My point being that reducing carbon immissions wont save the earth.  Doesn't mean we shouldn't take care of the planet however.

We're due for a major impact however.  Roughly speaking there should be a major impact once every 100,000 to 200,000 years.

As far as the total destruction of earth goes that will be happening in about 200 billion years as the sun continues to expand and due to gravitational forces it will probably stop expanding just short of the earth due to the fact that as the sun moves out the other planets will slowly move away too. The destruction will happen when the sun finally collapses into a red dwarf and the shock wave will spread out and turn the solar system into a few small rock balls and some dust and whatnot.

Our star is a medium sized yellow dwarf star.  It's average lifespan is about 12 billion years.  Right now it's 5 billion years old.  In about another 5 billion years the hydrogen core will deplete itself, eat into it's helium, and so on until it converts sodium into iron.  At that point it'll expand and the outer photosphere will be in earth's orbit, which will slow down the Earth eventually causing the sun to swallow it whole.

BTW, our sun is too small to supernovae, it will however turn into a stellar nebulae, but we'll all be dead long before that.

My guess will be either the asteroid or comet that will bring an end to humanity.
Afterall, even with extreme weather patterns from Global Warming, we could develop technology to deal with it.  And there's nothing we can do about the sun swallowing the earth in 5 billion years.  But I hope at that point we aren't still relegated to our little blue spitball.
Spoiler: ShowHide
My own game project & My resource workshop! (respectively)
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=608.0 http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=682.0

What that is? Affection area for flails. - Blizz-ABS, the ultimate ABS

The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB. The height must not exceed 200 px and the width must not exceed 800 px. Altogether they may take up an area of 160000 px2. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

tSwitch

September 25, 2008, 10:08:58 am #28 Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 10:10:46 am by NAMKCOR
the supercollider couldn't have caused a black hole.  A black hole is caused by mass compressing to an extremely small point, creating a large gravitational disturbance (if requested, I will provide diagrams to explain myself).  Given that photons have no -measurable- mass (how can they be affected by gravity if they have none**) they couldn't create a black hole, as in order for a black hole to form, mass must compress even smaller onto a very small point, to create the necessary disturbance.  The photons have such little mass, that even if they collapsed upon themselves, they couldn't create the necessary mass to size necessary to create that large a gravitational force.

**light is sucked into black holes and curves around massive bodies such as planets and stars, therefore gravity effects it. If it had no mass/weight it wouldn't be affected by gravitational pull, as in order for something to be affected by gravity it must be made of -something- for gravity to pull (gravity is defined as the force of attraction between two massive bodies, massive meaning having mass) and thus have mass. (theoretically of course)

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Blizzard

September 25, 2008, 03:22:14 pm #29 Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:25:46 pm by Blizzard
Don't forget that mass is a mere effect of energy and not energy itself. Photons may have no mass, but they are energy. Something similar works for the conventional particles protons, electron and neutrons. They have a mass, but that mass is the equivalent of the energy which that mass represents. Actually "mass" doesn't exist. Mass is simply the relative effect of gravity which makes gravity the effect between two forms of energies. Photons are not affected by this most probably because they are a different form of energy than atoms' particles.

Also yes. The super collider can't cause a black hole big enough to become dangerous. Even if the newly created particle becomes small enough to have a radius smaller than the required Schwarzschild Radius, its mass wouldn't be enough to create a gravity field strong enough to suck up other particles before it vaporizes. Basically the same what Phasescar said.
In case you didn't know, the empty space between particles is huge relatively to the size of those particles. If a proton was as big as a golf ball, his closest electron would be away like a couple of kilometers.

I agree on everything else with Phasedscar except for the percentage of human contribution to global warning. I read somewhere that it was less than 1%. But then again, the author of that text could have been wrong. The point is that humans contribute much less than we may think. In any case we should concentrate on saving the planet. We might not be the reason it goes down in the end, but we could have prevented it probably.

BTW, quarks do have a charge. ;)

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Pokol DaErran

I saw this somewhere, and decided to make my own.  It's a convenient way to tell if the LHC destroyed the world!
Has the Large Hadron Collider destroyed the world yet?: ShowHide
NO.
"...Sometimes, the impossible can become possible- if you're awesome!"
--Bolt

Blizzard

I saw that site, but I don't remember the URL.

KRoP

As for 2012, that's all bull.  Do you want to know why?  Because that's not the only "theory" (though, have you noticed that there hasn't been any evidence behind it?  It seems more like a rumor to me) that has been created to happen on 2012.  This suggests that these are only random ideas spread as a trend.

But yeah that's just my opinion. :.)

Shadonking

of course there just making this stuff up, the world isnt going to end any time soon and by that time we will be dead anyway.

Creator Of Music And Games
Spoiler: ShowHide
]

keywords: ShowHide
rmxp rmvx blizz-abs rpg maker xp vx abs cbs cms script tons of addons charsets autotiles HUD

come here if you have a ps3
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=1952.0

Blizzard

Did you actually know that even Nostradamus' prophecies were altered to fit more into the scheme so that they seem true? So much about prediction of the future. -_-

Vell

Nostradamus?

the only prophecy I ever believed was when that guy asked 'if i go to war with ___ what will happen?'

'if you go to war with ___ a great nation shall fall'

...well, theres a war going on between Iraq and America right now, i think that prophecy is relevant.

...NOTE: if any kind of a debate starts up about the war, then I am avoiding Intelligent Debate forever.

on the 2012 thing.

I think it might be true, but then, I've always been the kind of person to believe that the ancients were more intuned with something (i mean, Im somewhat of the belief that being born near midnight can lead to being slightly in touch with the spirit-world of sorts) that we now dont even know CAN exist, and that, as there is always a logical explanation for things, so is it true that there is an equally illogical explanation.

Blizzard

I completely agree with you there. Except for the midnight birth thing as it doesn't make any sense to me. -_- I mean, why the heck should this happen?! What is midnight actually? It's a number defined by humans. That's the same as being frightened from friday 13th. Numeric notations were made up by humans for Christ's sake!

Vell

and that is why it has significance for Humans. because it is so deeply rooted into humanity that midnight is the cross between two things, it has become of some significance to us.

thats my reasoning for it.

KRoP

As for global warming, I think yer lookin' in all the wrong places.  It's not what has been added to the atmosphere, it's what's been taken away. (If that makes any sense :P)

Valcos

I personally dont care when the end of the world happens. I honestly just want to do the stuff in my life that are important to me till the day I die. Cause... when Im dead if Earth is here or not I wont make a difference to me cause Im dead. :haha:
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya