End of the World?

Started by Terry16389, September 10, 2008, 05:12:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

October 25, 2008, 03:13:47 pm #40 Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 03:15:20 pm by Blizzard
I pretty much agree with you there. When we die, we die.

@KRoP: Yes, it does. To me at least. xD

Quote from: UltaFlame on October 23, 2008, 06:36:06 pm
and that is why it has significance for Humans. because it is so deeply rooted into humanity that midnight is the cross between two things, it has become of some significance to us.

thats my reasoning for it.

Actually you're right. It may be made up by humans, but it works like a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

legacyblade

Quote from: UltaFlame on October 21, 2008, 08:50:44 pm
I think it might be true, but then, I've always been the kind of person to believe that the ancients were more intuned with something (i mean, Im somewhat of the belief that being born near midnight can lead to being slightly in touch with the spirit-world of sorts) that we now dont even know CAN exist, and that, as there is always a logical explanation for things, so is it true that there is an equally illogical explanation.

Hey, I was born like 15 mins after midnight! XD

about the end of the world thing, I agree with those who say who cares.

Earlier blizz said mass is just a term for gravitational interaction. According to my science book, that's weight. Mass is what gravity interacts with to create weight. so if you take something with a mass of 3 to the moon, it'll weigh less, but have the same mass.

Anyways, if the world ends, I think it'll be by us blowing ourselves up, XD We'll be dead before the sun blows up, most likely.

Blizzard

Actually I was right. It's mass that is important, not weight. Weight is the effect that two masses have at each other. Weight is force and can vary while mass can't. Weight is proportional to mass and inverse proportional to the square of the distance between their so-called mass centers.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Vell

ahhhh science in End of the World. WE JUST FIGURED OUT HOW WE DIE!

Valcos

Lmao! :haha: I get enough science in science class.... -_-"

But yeah... we'll probably kill ourselves before the sun does or w.e :o
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

HELLO1470

Hi, My theory is that we will be killed of by something other than the sun chewing us up.

Maybe a disease or an animal... The thing is, it will be so long until the Sun chews us up we will be hit by multiple HUGE meteors, several of fatal diseases will kill loads of the population, or maybe we just cant be bothered to live anymore.

Personally i think that the world ending in 2012 is a load of (SWEAR!!!)

The mayans just took a random guess and hoped for the best.
Hopefully i can get a reply because i think this post is dead...
:O.o:

Spaceman McConaughey

HELLO1470, this is the second time(that I've seen) you've necro-posted. :o

But to comment on your theory: that is a very good point, I must say.

Blizzard

February 26, 2010, 02:29:58 am #47 Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 09:09:45 am by Blizzard
The post is relevant so necroposting is fine. *points to rules*

I'm still convinced nothing is going to happen.

EDIT: *deletes spam posts* Don't spam in Intelligent Debate.

SwiftDeathSK

Wait, the world is going to end?

You know, humans are a crafty race, we are survivors at heart. If we don't blow ourselves up (which, imho, really isn't as big of a threat as you would think - those who can press the buttons are smarter than that, at least to some degree), then I'm sure we will eventually reach a technological era where we populate other planets and leave our solar system. Maybe humanity will never die, as long as the intelligent few continue to strive. Needless to say that the population, at least in the US, is noticeably dumbing down because "derp" hooks up with "derpa" and make little baby "Derpa-derp", thus making things worse.
But back to the topic of the end of the world: maybe this expected apocalypse will never come, at least not in our current evolutionary form.

Just my two cents.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Bug Catcher Swift on February 26, 2010, 08:53:36 pm
Wait, the world is going to end?

You know, humans are a crafty race, we are survivors at heart. If we don't blow ourselves up (which, imho, really isn't as big of a threat as you would think - those who can press the buttons are smarter than that, at least to some degree), then I'm sure we will eventually reach a technological era where we populate other planets and leave our solar system. Maybe humanity will never die, as long as the intelligent few continue to strive. Needless to say that the population, at least in the US, is noticeably dumbing down because "derp" hooks up with "derpa" and make little baby "Derpa-derp", thus making things worse.
But back to the topic of the end of the world: maybe this expected apocalypse will never come, at least not in our current evolutionary form.

Just my two cents.

Yeah, if we destroyed this planet, just abandon it and look for a new one to wreck. Throwaway society at its best. Seriously, who cares if a few animals or even big parts of the planets nature die during the process? They are just there for our amusement anyways.

That being said, I seriously hope the other planets will be spared from humanity.

SwiftDeathSK

I never said we were a good thing  :evil:

winkio

Yeah, big bad humanity.  Oh wait, never mind, humans are the best thing that ever happened to Earth as a planet.

fugibo

Quote from: Arceus on February 27, 2010, 06:29:42 pm
Yeah, big bad humanity.  Oh wait, never mind, humans are the best thing that ever happened to Earth as a planet.

Well, you could say that we made it "worthwhile," but you can't say that we exactly helped the other life on the planet. That's very arguable.

I do like your viewpoint, though.

winkio

Here's something to think about:  When all life was still single celled, a small new organism evolved that processed the poisonous Oxygen molecules in order to survive.  It was so competitive that it wiped out or assimilated into virtually all other life on the planet.  End result: the development of complex, oxygen-based multicellular organisms.  Cost: the extinction of almost all non-oxygen based life forms.

Blizzard

Just because you're the best in your category and have survived doesn't mean you're perfect or that you're good in any other category. Just because humans are the most intelligent species on this planet doesn't mean we're doing only good things to the planet.

Did you know that if every person in India or in China would get their bills on a piece of paper, that we wouldn't have any forests at all anymore?

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Arceus on February 27, 2010, 09:03:13 pm
Here's something to think about:  When all life was still single celled, a small new organism evolved that processed the poisonous Oxygen molecules in order to survive.  It was so competitive that it wiped out or assimilated into virtually all other life on the planet.  End result: the development of complex, oxygen-based multicellular organisms.  Cost: the extinction of almost all non-oxygen based life forms.

I do and did know about that. I even think we will never be able to destroy this planet, since "earth heals herself" (buckethead song names ftw). Nature will nearly always be able to adapt to the circumstances, even when we completely destroy it. This doesn't mean that it's right to do it, at least in my opinion every lifeform has a right to live and exist and shouldn't be wiped out conciously, since humanity is a species that can think about what they do unlike one-celled organisms. I sadly can't explain my point any further since my english still sucks,
but in my post up there I was just, sarcastrically, making fun of the statement "Even when we destroy this planet, we could just use the next one."

Blizzard

Nature can recover only in time. I think "destroying Earth" here means something like messing things up so badly that it will take tens thousands of years of more to repair the damage we've done.

Also, we could blow up the planet in future, you can never know. RECOVER FROM THAT, MOTHER NATURE!

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Champion Blizzard on February 28, 2010, 07:14:52 am
Nature can recover only in time. I think "destroying Earth" here means something like messing things up so badly that it will take tens thousands of years of more to repair the damage we've done.

Also, we could blow up the planet in future, you can never know. RECOVER FROM THAT, MOTHER NATURE!

"Only in time" I guess you mean that by human standards. Against all thr time the evolution of life took, recovering from whatever we could do would be nothing.
Also, I believe you won't find enough material on earth for a bomb that could do any "serious" harm to it, but I can't prove it, so whatever. We're not allmighty after all.

Blizzard

It's not about quantity. A nuclear bomb doesn't use relatively much material, yet it's quite devastating. Imagine what we will be able to do when we work out fusion.

tSwitch

Reading a few posts back, I love it when people talk about the Mayans like they were a bunch of total idiots who didn't know what they were doing.  I mean, it's not like they could ACCURATELY PREDICT WHEN THE NEXT ECLIPSE WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.  Oh wait...

I don't think the world is going to end, rather, I think it'll be a form of Paradigm shift.  Basically it means some new cycle entirely, not an end as much as a beginning.

Spoiler: ShowHide
That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes,
an aeroplane - Lenny Bruce is not afraid.
Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn,
world serves its own needs, dummy serve your own needs.
Feed it off an aux speak,, grunt, no, strength,
The ladder starts to clatter with fear fight down height.
Wire in a fire, representing seven games, a government for hire and a combat site.
Left of west and coming in a hurry with the furies breathing down your neck.
Team by team reporters baffled, trumped, tethered cropped.
Look at that low playing!
Fine, then.
Uh oh, overflow, population, common food, but it'll do.
Save yourself, serve yourself. World serves its own needs, listen to your heart bleed dummy with the rapture and the revered and the right - right.
You vitriolic, patriotic, slam, fight, bright light, feeling pretty psyched.

It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Six o'clock - TV hour. Don't get caught in foreign towers.
Slash and burn, return, listen to yourself churn.
Locking in, uniforming, book burning, blood letting.
Every motive escalate. Automotive incinerate.
Light a candle, light a votive. Step down, step down.
Watch your heel crush, crushed. Uh-oh, this means no fear cavalier.
Renegade steer clear! A tournament, a tournament, a tournament of lies.
Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives and I decline.

It's the end of the world as we know it. (It's time I had some time alone)
It's the end of the world as we know it (It's time I had some time alone) and I feel fine.
(I feel fine)

It's the end of the world as we know it (It's time I had some time alone) and I feel fine.

The other night I dreamt of knives, continental drift divide. Mountains sit in a line
Leonard Bernstein. Leonid Brezhnev. Lenny Bruce and Lester Bangs.
Birthday party, cheesecake, jelly bean, boom!
You symbiotic, patriotic, slam book neck, right? Right.

It's the end of the world as we know it (It's time I had some time alone) and I feel fine...

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr