End of the World?

Started by Terry16389, September 10, 2008, 05:12:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GrieverSoft

I'll give you that, the Mayans Long-Count calendar could be perceived as being startlingly accurate and that's the same logic as horoscopes being accurate.  The reason it stops at 2012 is not the end of the world, but rather they just stopped calculating it.  Y'know, on account of them being too busy being conquered by the Spanish.
I like pie.  The pie is also evil.

winkio

I thought the reason it ended at 2012 was because it was the most appropriate exponentially.  Because it was on a circle of large radius, they could either end at 2012, or something in the 30,000s I think, if they extended the radius.

edwardthefma

well i bleave the myan wer smart and maid a relly long calender and now that we are coming to the end
means what what do we do wen the calender year ends XD it starts allover agane  :D
i am the lead dev for the shellium mmorpg project
http://wiki.shellium.org/w/Mmorpg
shellium.org :) free linux shells pm me and i will gladly
help you get 1

Zeriab

The world ends I die.
If I am wrong? Well, it's not like you'll be to tell me the happy news  :<_<:

Blizzard

That kind of thinking reminds me of this site.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Spoofus

eh if the world doesnt end by 2012
man will find a way to end the world after all the most common path in human nature seems to be destruction

My Blog site I am working on: http://spoofus.weebly.com/

Lakieth

:evil:I think that we wont die in 200 billion years or wutever im pretty sure that if everyone in the world all picked a year the end would happen and people could'nt pick the same year as someone else2 things would happen

1. when the end did happen one person no matter the real intelligence of him would be considerd a genuis

and....

2. Mass chaos would happenand the one guy to pick that year would be right only one person to a year woul cause ww3

poxy

Quote from: Wikipedia
Misinterpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar is the basis for a New Age belief that a cataclysm will take place on December 21, 2012. December 21, 2012 is simply the first day of the 14th b'ak'tun.

Besides that point, the end of a calendar has no meaning in of itself. If my calender ends on Dec 31, 2012 I don't assume the world ends, I go out to buy a new calendar. The choice of Mayan's calendar is pretty arbitrary as a super intelligent people with knowledge of the future, anyway.

Sorry to shatter the dreams of apocalypse nuts, but you guys still owe for y2k.

About the LHC; I'm pretty sure they don't collide photons but electrons or alpha particles.
Some people assumed the LHC would bring about the end of the world and decided to sue CERN. CERN created an investigative body to look into the possibility of the two predicted senarios: the creation of a black hole, and the strange matter catastrophe. They found the possiblities highly unlikely.

The strange matter catastrophe I think is the more interesting one, if I remember correctly it's strange quarks arranging in such a way to produce "strange matter", which procedes to interact with the nearby matter to cause a cascade of transformation of everything on Earth into "strange matter."

Anyway, it's a good thing the eggheads are dealing with the particle smashing otherwise there would be more reason to worry.
My Project: ShowHide

Blizzard

Maybe we all turn into strangelets. #_# You gotta love this site.

I don't know what's worse, the people who starts idiotic rumors of the end of the world or the people who actually believe it.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

poxy

Quote from: Blizzard on May 07, 2010, 02:46:24 am
Maybe we all turn into strangelets. #_# You gotta love this site.

I don't know what's worse, the people who starts idiotic rumors of the end of the world or the people who actually believe it.

LOL'd at that website.. so informative.

What get's me most about 2012 is tall the money made on the dozen's of books written on it. Maybe it's some sort of money making conspiracy...  :roll: : p
My Project: ShowHide