[RMXP] Midnight: Genesis Project (Complete)

Started by Zylos, May 12, 2009, 10:41:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Zylos

May 12, 2009, 10:41:28 pm Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:55:49 pm by Zylos

Let me take you behind the scenes real quick. A year ago, I was working on a good, Resident Evil inspired, survival horror game simply entitled Midnight. In the game, you played as private investigator Garrett MacIntyre and were trapped on a lonely island called Devil's Island in the midst of a zombie outbreak. Unfortunately, due to technical errors in the ABS system I'd made, I was not able to finish the project and for all intents and purposes, it was scrapped. However, I've learned a lot in the past year. I learned to use GIMP instead of MS Paint, learned to script a little bit, learned how to edit music and create sounds, even learned some things about RMXP that I hadn't known before. I'd been recently considering starting again on Midnight using some serious system improvements, and when G_G's BlizzABS contest came along, I saw this as a good chance to test out the system idea I had been toying with and prove that I'm just as good as my partner in crime Namkcor.

18 days later, you have the final product. Midnight: Genesis Project, a short 45 - 60 minute long "non-canon" game in the world of Midnight. I stress that this is non-canon. For those of you who remember the original demo on RMRK, this is very similar except that it's a full game that takes place in a much more modern setting. It's still the same level of graphic violence and corny dialogue, but with a darker feel and attitude (as reflected in the language of the game, which contains more swearwords than in the original). The game does contain some spoilers, but not enough to ruin the original game should I ever get a chance to start again anew on it.

So enjoy the game, and cross your fingers that I win the contest whenever G_G finally gets the scores.

"It's been two years since I returned from Devil's Island. Two years since the nightmare had started, and two years since I began my campaign to bring GENETECH, the corporation behind in the incident, to justice for their crimes. So many people died because of what they did, and as the only known survivor it was my duty to make the truth known. But, with no proof of my claims, my accusations fell on deaf ears and eventually the blame was turned onto myself instead. I became GENETECH's scapegoat, and was arrested for the murder of those who had died on the island. My lawyer and I put up the best defense that we could, but it was no use under GENETECH's influence. I was found guilty and sentenced to death. I became a "serial killer" in the papers and in the eyes of the public, though the real criminals were sitting in corporate office chairs hundreds of miles away.

Now, I'm due to be executed by lethal injection here tonight at midnight. However, I feel dark winds in the air, as though evil itself has other plans for me. Lady Luck has always gotten me through in the past, but tonight, only time will tell what fate awaits me..."

Spoiler: ShowHide

WARNING: This should be obvious, but if I was ESRB, I'd be rating this game a definite M for Mature. It contains blood and gore, strong language, intense violence, and even a little mild nudity (two naked genderless zombies, lol). This is all 2D though, so if you can't handle it, you're probably not old enough to be on the forums in the first place.

Download Here

Two things you MUST know first. One, you have to copy the font I included into your regular fonts folder. Otherwise, the opening is going to be really messed up for you. Two, I'm too lazy right now to include all of the RTP resources and drivers, so you have to actually have RMXP in order to play the game. I'll probably make a seperate version later that includes the RTP.

Game Created By:
BAYARD ZYLOS

RPG Maker XP By:
ENTERBRAIN

Resources By:
DERTT
ETORIE
FAYFOREST
FREESOUNDS
MICHAEL JACKSON?
NEMESIS THEORY
NINESAGES
PARTNERS IN RHYME
RESIDENT EVIL (CAPCOM)
SITHJESTER
SOUNDSNAP
ZANYZORA

Scripts By:
BLIZZARD
DUBEALEX
MOGHUNTER

Special Thanks To:
KUME AMETA
NAMKCOR
RAMI
RASSE (I promised him to name a character after him ^_^)
ZEICHWOLF

Though every effort is taken to make sure that proper credit is given for all resources, it is sometimes impossible to accurately identify the creator of certain resources. For this reason, I ask that if you know someone that I have neglected to properly credit, please send me a message and I shall amend the situation quickly.

Kagutsuchi

tSwitch

game's cash.
If you liked shadows, Anima, or Revenant, you'll like this one.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Zylos

Haha, thanks for the advertisement, Namkcor. ^__^

http://www.sendspace.com/file/877swn

This is a version that includes the RTP and one or two extras added after the contest (at the cost of a few more mb to download. This works for those who don't have RMXP at all. Also, for those who remember the "special room" in Shadows, Midnight has it's own version as well, but it's a little more well hidden this time. You have to use a special password in the smallest room in the game to find it.

impulszero

Great game. :evil: 5/5
One advice: put a save option after control tutorial. Since is so easy to die(wich is cool, make the thing more tense), the player can get frustrated after waching the intro scene again and again.
do that and u get 6/5  8)
<br /><br />Order is for idiots, Genius can handle Chaos.

Zylos

Thanks! =D

Everyone keeps telling me I need to force the player to save. I'm not going to do that though, because A) there's a save room just a little ways south from the starting point where you initially take control of Garrett, and B) it gives you much more incentive to try to stay alive at least until you find it.

King Munkey

It was a great game. Wish G_G would hassle whom ever it is that did not send in their scores.

G_G Is my hero!
Munkey != monkey
Munkey > monkey

OracleGames

May 20, 2009, 05:16:54 am #7 Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 05:20:18 am by OracleGames
I really liked this game.. but got stucked when you have to...
Access "Mr Hayes" PC.. found out the password, but i dont know what to type in "Username"

Well.. anyways, nicely done game.. it really has that feeling of danger and suspense from RE games, also good dialogues n_n

Zylos

Thankies!

Oh, and...

The answer to that was given to you in the intro itself, if you remember it. If you don't, it should be easy enough to figure out. It's just first initial and last name.

impulszero

Quote from: Zylos on May 19, 2009, 08:54:57 am
Thanks! =D

Everyone keeps telling me I need to force the player to save. I'm not going to do that though, because A) there's a save room just a little ways south from the starting point where you initially take control of Garrett, and B) it gives you much more incentive to try to stay alive at least until you find it.

a) yes i know,but i actually died 3 times before i made it. It's easy when u know that the save is close :P
b) No, it gives me wish to use cheats, since i dont want to wach (no offence)annoyingly boring intro (wich cant be skiped) again and again (and again)