Scripts that are not possible (and why they aren't)

Started by Blizzard, January 07, 2008, 08:54:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

January 07, 2008, 08:54:15 pm Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 04:37:12 pm by Blizzard
I have seen people ask too many timess for some very simple (or not so simple) scripts, but yet are impossible without rewriting half of RMXP's engine (NOT SCRIPTS!). Here is a list of scripts and my personal rating from 1 to 10 how hard it would be to be made, the reasons and some other stuff.

• BGM continues after battle (9/10)

- Reason:
    RMXP's audio player does not have the "resume" function to start a file from a different position than the starting one. Attempts to create this system never went further than playing the file from a different position, but without looping.
    - What is needed to create this:
    Good understanding of WinAPI and audio control. Also a new MIDI synthesizer needs to be created to create the same changed MIDI sound like RMXP. An implementation for .wav/.mp3/.ogg might be easier.
    - Does an implementation already exist?
    Yes.
    - Have I ever attempted doing this?
    Yes, but failed. I never came past the missing repeat after starting a file from another position than start.
    - Will I ever attempt doing this (again eventually)?
    No.
    - Anything else to know?
    I actually implemented this easily in RMMV.

• Mode 7 (7/10)

- Reason:
    A few implementations so far were successful, but due to heavy lag and high bug factor mostly unusable. The only useable implementation would be a complete change of RMXP's "Tilemap class".
    A complete rewrite of the Tilemap class and a change of sprite handling.
    Yes, there are 2, one is pretty good.
    Yes, I have tried to decrease the lag in mewsterus' Mode 7 script and failed. The implementation was not suited for improvement.
    - Will I ever attempt doing this? (again eventually)
    No.
    - Anything else to know?
    I actually implemented this in RMMV. It's a very different engine and actually supports 3D internally.

• Rotating Mode 7 (10/10)

- Reason:
      Due to the internal definition of RMXP's "Tilemap class" and the impossibility to use a "skewed 3D" sprite, this system can only be realized by using a bitmap that is constantly recalculated and redrawn. But this causes extreme lag which makes it possible to create the script, but it would be unusable. Another problem would be the rewrite of the internal Graphics module if an attempt was made by using a 3D rotated sprite.
      A complete rewrite of the Tilemap class, a 3D view handling system that is actually useable due to no or little lag.
      Yes.
      No.
      No.
      - Anything else to know?
      I actually implemented this in RMMV. It's a very different engine and actually supports 3D internally.

• Changed Resolution (6/10)

- Reason:
      The problem on itself is not a big one and several scripts already exist. The problem is RMXP itself. Since the map does not work with bigger resolutions, RMXP's "Tilemap class" would need to be rewritten to support it. Eventually many other scripts would need to be edited. Also, this would cause problems with various menu systems from custom scripts as well as CMSes themselves. The last problem would be lag. Bigger screen means bigger sprites and more stuff to be updated.
      Understanding of WinAPI. Understanding of all RTP scripts. Ability to improve RTP scripts in a way of lowering the lag by decreasing algorithm complexity (NOT SIMPLE OPTIMIZATION!).
      Yes.
      No.
      No.
      - Anything else to know?
      When using XPAce, the lag isn't so bad and might be somewhat viable if the resolution doesn't get out of hand (e.g. 4k).

I just wanna add that it's interesting how many "impossible" things have become easy in newer RPG Makers such as MV or MZ because they completely changed the underlying engine/framework.

Feel free to ask for my rating for any type of script. I will try to explain as good as I can.
    Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
    Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
    Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zeriab

This is a good idea  ;D

I suggest giving an alternate rating for Changed Resolution (6/10) with lower resolution. It is easier decreasing the resolution than increasing. ^_^

Blizzard

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zeriab

Sally

Vell

Nortos

it would be very hard, you know the full screen scripts? They aren't changing resolution just enlarging it

Calintz

I see...
    You know sooo much more about practically everything consisting with CPUs Blizz.
    What's your major??

Fantasist

He knows pretty much everything about RGSS and the way everything works together.
    Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Blizzard

I'm studying under a different program, we don't have something like majors. We have 5 to 6 classes per semester and that's about it. To finish a year, we need to pass all classes in those two semesters. No failure is tolerated. =/

Vell

Calintz

I see...that's kinda cool.
    As for the BGM continuing after the battle. Didn't one of the older RPGMaker's have this function.

P.S. What I don't understand, is why Enterbrain doesn't only ADD features to the new RPGMakers. Why do they eliminate older features to implement new ones I wonder?? Enterbrain should have constrcuted a default script for each style of battles (ABS, SVBS, and the original) to give the maker's some options...

Blizzard

That's why made the scripting system possible: So you can do it yourself.

Calintz

But why get rid of features already created?? We can always make stuff like menus and junk, but if you haden't noticed, most scripts aren't as good as professionals, unless they're yours, or a other selected few good scripters...

Ryex

Is the golden sun battle syesem inposible to emulate in RPG maker?

I am not entirly clueless on the subject. I know how the effect is acheved. but not how to creat the achevment prossess with scripts.

Here is my assessment of how it is done.

The system can skew the back groud it a scereys so it takes the origonal background and displayes sevrral diferent skews to acheve the rotating effect and at the same tume changes the position and flips the actor and monter battlers. indavigualy not a group when playing anamation it skews them too.

if I'm correct this would creat a toon of lag if not done correctly but it is possible to do sence it uses simlar effects to what the mode 7 dose but not with a tile map
    I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Fantasist

QuoteThe system can skew the back groud

Skewing in practically an impossibility in RMXP. You CAN skew something, at the cost of great lag. The GSBS has been my interest for some time now, and I think it's possible. If not an exact replica, something close enough is definitely possible.
    Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Blizzard

But beat me to it, FTS. (-_-') *powers up*

I made this here by request

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=168.0

If the background is actually 3D (because it is rotating in an actual 3D perceptual environment), then no. Or yes, it would create heavy lag. I haven't played Golden Sun, so I'm likely not to know the details.

Fantasist

Quote from: BlizzardI haven't played Golden Sun, so I'm likely not to know the details.

That could be a quote, Bliz! You haven't played GS is a shock to me! Go get a crack at it for my and Ulta's sake at least :)

Blizzard

Hmmm... I just might. I still have to play Minish Cap. =X

Ryex

you want to?

then here is an emlater and the game you only have to extract the first zip file the emulater can read out of zip files

http://www.sendspace.com/file/847yxk
    I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />