Scripts that are not possible (and why they aren't)

Started by Blizzard, January 07, 2008, 08:54:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Blizzard on October 06, 2008, 08:58:04 am
I know. ;_; I seem to be getting old, maybe I should retire.
And let SephirothSpawn still go o---Hey what happened to that old prune anyway? Is he extinct? :V:

IF YOU RETIRE, WHO WOULD BE THE HEIR TO YOUR ALMIGHTY THRONE!? D: I'll start finding candidates right away, Sir Boris.

On topic by the way, doesn't this quote give the conclusion that it's possible if you program the right DLL and have a war plan, instead of tackling it head-on or something?

QuoteIt's not too hard, it's just a matter of knowing how to do it. If you don't know how to do it (majority of people), then it's "impossible". And you don't have to be massively intelligent, you just need some experience. Blizz-ABS wasn't made by a genius either and neither was RMXP and neither was Windows. The two latter were actually made by not just one person. -_-

You can say the same for the audio module rewrite. The basic is a custom audio API for Windows made by somebody completely else. All the scripter did was created a so-called bridge between the DLL methods and functions and RMXP. You don't have to be a genius for that. Just knowing how to call DLL functions from RMXP is pretty much the only knowledge you need along with the knowledge how the audio calls were made.

The rotating Mode 7 is a different story. If I am not wrong, the DLL was created by the scripter. But yet again, the basic knowledge you need is how 3D rendering works. Neo Mode 7 still lags on my PC, there's probably no work around that. It's running at around 20 fps when I have both CPU cores at 1.2GHz. Note that I am talking about a non-rotated view.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not turning down those works. Somebody with the knowledge to even make them probably has enough understand that he made them the way they should have been made. In any case those script are great additions to the RM community. I am considering of using both the custom audio module and the rotating Mode 7 in my own game. The former will be most probably there and the latter only if the lag is low enough when I combine the script with my world map slicer and my other anti-lag systems.

Because for the average scripter these aren't possible, but for revolutionaries they are, it just needs to be tackled on logically and all...

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Blizzard

Yeah, that's true. You can make a sofisticated 3D engine in RMXP after all using external DLLs. :P
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Satoh

Technically you could override every bit of coding in RMXP with external DLLs... but for the time spent doing that, you could use the same DLLs to make a new engine entirely...

Anything is possible with time effort and skill...(or as is my case, lots and lots of error fixing...)
Requesting Rule #1: BE SPECIFIC!!

Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night...
Light a man afire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life... ¬ ¬;

My Resources

Blizzard

I agree. Better make a new engine that is better than enhance RMXP to a point where it makes no sense like the 3D engine. There are tons of good 3D engines out there that don't lag.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

shdwlink1993

You retire and I release all the scripts for Chaos Project  :evil:

No, of course not. I'd probably be one of the more psychotically inclined afterward. xD
Stuff I've made:

"Never think you're perfect or else you'll stop improving yourself."

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

Blizzard

After I retire, I might even release the CP engine fully. Of course, it would be under the license that you may distribute it and modify it, but you may not distribute the modified version. ;) And I want huge credit. But then again, I can't give out a generic engine since it's coded for CP specifically and I deleted all comments since I personally don't need them. Except if you're an experienced scripter, you better forget messing around since it has 4-5 times more code than the default scripts.

MeVII

QuoteBGM continues after battle (9/10)

- Reason:
RMXP's audio player does not have the "resume" function to start a file from a different position than the starting one. Attempts to create this system never went further than playing the file from a different position, but without looping.
- What is needed to create this:
Good understanding of WinAPI and audio control. Also a new MIDI synthisizer needs to be created to create the same changed MIDI sound like RMXP. An implemenation for .wav/.mp3/.ogg might be easier.
- Does an implementation already exist?
Yes.
- Have I ever attempted doing this?
Yes, but failed. I never came past the missing repeat after starting a file from another position than start.
- Will I ever attempt doing this (again eventually)?
No.

Before I offer an idea, and only look foolish. Could someone explain briefly exactly how this would be used?
Such as, is the point to skip the victory fanfare sound, without a moment of silence between the restart of the BGM? Is it preferable necessary for after the battle the music to start up in the exact place it stopped before the battle? All in all, what is it exactly people want to use this script for?

MeVII

Blizzard

This is the only place where it would be used (continue map BGM after battle without restarting it).
Pretty stupid to do such an amount of work for such a little feature most people won't even notice, don't you think?

MeVII

I would agree that the amount of work needed far outmatches the value of the feature.

If people don't want/need this to start the BGM in the exact same spot, could this feature be accomplished the same way, but avoiding the massive rework needed currently, by muting the BGM instead of stopping and restarting it?

So the song never actually stops playing, its volume is just reduced to 0. Then after a battle, its volume is increased back to where it was. You would even be able to add a line in the script for "bring volume back to normal after X seconds" so that X could be customized in order to allow the battle victory fanfare to play out before the BGM comes back in.

I guess, you could even have a "instant" or "Fade" effect as an option. To instantly bring the volume back to normal, or fade it back up to normal.

I don't understand scripting (as you know :) ) and I dont grasp 100% how and why this would be used.

Im a tinker, and I was really just curious if this concept would work or not, as a valid work around that the issue of stopping and restarting the BGM currently poses.

Me VII

Blizzard

Not possible because RMXP can't run multiple music files at once. When you start another BGM, the previous one is automatically removed from memory and when you start it again, it simply is restarted.

MeVII

January 29, 2010, 11:36:06 am #50 Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:14:30 am by MeVII
Hummm, ok, last one, then Ill stop prodding a dead horse.   :poke:

What, if if if, a script substituted a BGS,ME or SE for the battle music? Since it can play those at the same time? (Im pretty sure, right?  :hm: )

I think all those sounds come to an "end", so the script would need to loop it until the battle stopped, then return the volume for the BGM back to normal.

Me VII

Blizzard

MEs and SE's don't loop.
The thing with the BGS would allow you to mute the map BGM, but not pause and resume it. It's simply not the same.

MeVII

Well then ... there you have it.  :yesmaster:

Thanks for humoring me with your explanations.  :up:

Me VII

Blizzard

ForeverZer0

I just wrote a script to redefine the Tilemap class, and used it with a Resolution script, and I must say that I'm not experiencing any lag with a 1024x768 screen, and using a large map with a lot going on. My computer is a pretty basic labtop, so its not that I have some powerful system. I include the ability to have any viewport defined to a size of (0, 0, 640, 480) automatically adjust to the new screen size, unless explicitly called not to, which should definitely reduce the amount of edits needed to make in other scripts. As of the moment, the only problem is going to be menu systems and graphics (panoramas, etc.) made for the new screen size.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.