Blizzard

Quote from: computerwizoo7 on September 30, 2008, 07:21:25 pm
Xas is WAAAAY BETTER THAN bliz abs  :evil:

Still, but not for long. Just wait for Blizz-ABS v2.x. >:3
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

computerwizoo7

Quote from: Blizzard on October 01, 2008, 08:17:44 am
Quote from: computerwizoo7 on September 30, 2008, 07:21:25 pm
Xas is WAAAAY BETTER THAN bliz abs  :evil:

Still, but not for long. Just wait for Blizz-ABS v2.x. >:3

Hahahaha! in your dreams!
XAS ABS HERO V2 can do anything! Mwahahaha!
at first i saw blizz abs i thought that it was good for my game THEN XAS ABS CAME FROM THE HEAVENS AND LIGHTED A PATH FOR MY GAME!
to sum it up xas can do it if you can think it.
and its better in every way because you can switch players with an event system to make a party!
anyone want to join my campaign?

Blizzard

October 01, 2008, 10:14:54 am #3 Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 10:19:36 am by Blizzard
How can a SCRIPT be better if you have to do it BY EVENT? -_- Any practically any script can do anything if you make it work. So... Has XAS an anti-lag passability system and an event anti-lag system? Has XAS a configuration application which makes the required scripting knowledge to use it equal to zero? Has XAS enemies so smart that they can rape you by collaborating? :P

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

computerwizoo7

Now you are getting me MAD! XAS is WAAAAY BETTER!
we don't want enemies running away and crap like that!
we don't want someone playing and seeing a stupid enemy AI settings on the menu that you can't go into!
xas have devastating special attacks and not a stupid stop time crap to use a skill!
XAS have a super cool HUD! and everything is fully customizable!
you don't have to have a bag of crap character set that you can't even figure out!
XAS is BETTER! and we can do this all day! so until i see a game built with blizz abs that is not rubbish then put a sock in it!

Blizzard

Actually Blizz-ABS is customizable as well. In fact, I have a big surprise for you: Every script is customizable. If you use CRLS, you have "devastating special attacks". Blizz-ABS even works with other of my scripts and seems to have no problems working with SDK as well. Can XAS pull that off? How compatible is it anyways?

You can remove the time penalty for skill use, but then you won't have any normal animations. And how lagfree is XAS? How does the HUD work? It was coded so badly that I had a hard time to find the code that is handling the HUD behavior and in the end I gave up instead of wasting more time. In Blizz-ABS you can create your own HUD which uses the exiting HUD system to decrease lag as much as possible. BTW, the "AI Setup" is not for enemies, it's for allies. If you read my posts for a change, you would know that.

Hm, how about you just don't use Blizz-ABS if you like XAS so much? CoSLAL was a pretty ok game that uses a very outdated version of Blizz-ABS. I think everybody here would agree with me if I say that you have no right giving a bad critique based on comparison with other games if there are no other games and you haven't made a better one using Blizz-ABS.

legacyblade

Ok, while we're on the topic of XAS vs. Blizz ABS

The demo of XAS, particular hero version 3, has lots of shiny stuff. You could do most of that using blizzABS. Once BlizzABS version 2.0 comes out, I am going to work on making as much addons as are needed to regain all the functionality I lost when switching to blizzABS. True, if you want Zelda or harvest moon (I'm making an XAS harvest moon :P), XAS is by far the best. The hud is really nice looking, it has the flashy look of all of MOG's graphic stuff. But all the code is horribly messy. And giving the enemies good AI is laggy and difficult. I think the dawn of blizzABS 2.0 will have the functionality of XAS. I think the way to make people realize this would be to make the graphics in the demo more amazing. (which I can help with, if you'd do a few things to the sprite handling speeds).

BlizzABS:

Pros:
easy to configure, compatible with most scripts, easy to read the code, lag free script, advanced AI, a caterpillar system that works with the game, and an author who answers our questions.

Cons:
Attack and skill sprites animate WAAY to fast to make good looking attacks and skills, the lack of event commands in skills (you can't make the hero move while they attack), and the demo doesn't look as flashy :P

XAS:

Pros:
You can do ANYTHING, if you put enough time into it, good sprite poses for skills and attacks are really easy to set up, easy to use the script for puzzles, flashy demo

Cons:
Mog doesn't really answer questions, hard to get the hang of (I got the hang of it though), can lag on slow computers if there are too many enemies that automatically guard, doesn't work with most scripts, confusing code, way too many lines of code, a few graphic bugs.

I think blizzABS 2.0, with a few addons, will give even MORE power than XAS, and pwn it completely (after all, he's adding in all its abilities into his own script, but well coded :P), but for the moment flashy adventure RPGs, that want amazing graphics, should go with XAS. But only time will tell if BlizzABS 2.0 surpasses the leet XAS 3.0

Now, back on topic. I'm using blizzABS, but trying to use XAS style graphics.

computerwizoo7

>:( hey this is no time for trick questions!
anyway isn't this legacyblade's project topic.

Blizzard

That's good, LB, give me MORE INFO on XAS. >:3 The way to beat your enemy is to know him! MWUAHAHAHAHA!!!

computerwizoo7

so you wanna fight!
Round 1:
Xas has a system where you can reflect attacks and seal enemies or the players skill or weapon! and devastating Special attacks with awesome enemy AIs which are fully customizable so you can make them as smart as you want or as dumb as you want too! and they can run away too!

try and beat that blizzard!

Starrodkirby86

I'm pretty sure Blizz-ABS has a reflecting system along those lines.

Fellows, I split the two topics as this subject was getting too unrelated of recruitment. I'm also noticing a little debate with some sparks. If anyone erupts and start maligning the other ABS system, this topic will get locked, users can get banned, though that's worst case scenario. Please debate about this calmly, coolly, and maturely. This is a really interesting topic that will show how Blizz-ABS and XAS are different and the same, how both can improve off of each other (Blizz-ABS more), and it can show opinions of many users throughout here.

On my belief, Blizz-ABS has a user-friendly coding and compatibility that virtually anything can be done if you're knowledgable within scripting. I mean, you can mod Blizz-ABS pretty easily compared to XAS, which has a complex coding, according to Legacyblade. That's all I have to say. Ta ta.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Galatea

Quote from: legacyblade on October 01, 2008, 02:31:10 pm

Pros:
easy to configure, compatible with most scripts, easy to read the code, lag free script, advanced AI, a caterpillar system that works with the game, and an author who answers our questions.

Hell yeah! Very User Friendly! and an author who answers our questions. yesss

I like blizzABS cause the whole idea is from the mixed thoughts of the brilliant members, and
its improvements are quite fascinating, you just w8 for the next version!  >:(

Blizzard

Good job, SRK. Ok, now back on topic.
And thanks for the support, Galatea. ^_^

cw7, you can't use customizability as argument because:
1. Blizz-ABS is easier to customize because it's coding is way better.
2. You can customize ANY script which makes your point of "customizable AI" obsolete.

Also, Blizz-ABS AI is customizable as well. I only took the time to make an easy interface for users. You have several defined options which you can use without any scripting knowledge. With some scripting knowledge you can customize it yourself while with XAS you need A LOT of scripting knowledge because of the messy coding. Blizz-ABS 2.0 will even have a better coding. I am planning on separating semantically Blizz-ABS specific code and putting it all at one place. Things like that would be the enemy dying process which is currently part of Game_System.

And what about the devastating super attack? Hello? Are you even reading what I said? That's just a normal skill wrapped up as "Special attack". If you REALLY want a special attack on button press, you can add that easily in Blizz-ABS. Do you have any idea how big the code of a secondary weapon is in Blizz-ABS which is equipped instead of a shield? Take a look:

Spoiler: ShowHide
# Secondary Weapon plugin for Blizz-ABS created for Aqua

if $BlizzABS || BlizzABS::VERSION < 1.99
 raise 'ERROR: The secondary weapon plugin requires Blizz-ABS 1.99 or higher.'
end

class Game_Controls

alias update_attack_aqua_later update_attack
 def update_attack
   return true if update_attack_aqua_later
   if $game_system.attack_button && Input.trigger?(Input::Key['G'])
     $game_player.use_attack2
     return true
   end
   return false
 end

end

class Map_Actor

def use_attack2
   self.battler.weapon_id, self.battler.armor1_id =
       self.battler.armor1_id, self.battler.weapon_id
   use_attack if self.battler.weapon_id != 0
   self.battler.weapon_id, self.battler.armor1_id =
       self.battler.armor1_id, self.battler.weapon_id
 end

end

class Game_Actor

attr_accessor :weapon_id
 attr_accessor :armor1_id

end

Now, how about you tell me all you can do with your enemies WITHOUT touching the scripts? Can your enemies in XAS learn? Can they evaluate a party member as dangerous and defend more when they engage into one-on-one combat with him? Can your enemies in XAS concentrate on healing? Can they organize a group of other enemies and lead them into collective attacks? Can your enemies in XAS keep a safe distance from you?
Did you know that allowing enemies to escape is as easy as adding the "Escape" action in the enemy database? What do you have to do for this in XAS? Does XAS use database enemies or do you have to define them MANUALLY IN EACH EVENT just like in Near's ABS with comments?

You are not making valid points here. I can also just say "OMG BLIZZ-ABS PWNS XAS SO HARD BECAUSE IT HAS A CUSTOM INPUT MODULE". While we're at it, how's XAS with custom controls?

What about compatibility? Does XAS support Tons of Add-ons, CRLS, SDS, RO Job-Skill System, any CMS or any of my other scripts? And does it support SDK? Blizz-ABS is practically fully compatible with SDK 2.x! Also Blizz-ABS supports my Full Reflection System which means you DO have Reflect. And what is "sealing enemies" supposed to mean? Care to explain?

Also, what about documentation? Blizz-ABS not only has a manual explaining ALL of Blizz-ABS features but also my continuos support (like Galatea said). Blizz-ABS has been created as a system responding to users' wishes.

I have created an interface for users so they don't have to bother about implementation details. ANYBODY can use Blizz-ABS. I've only met a few people which had problems and those problems were solved by me simply pointing them to the right chapter in the manual. Of course, with a bit of scripting knowledge, you can edit Blizz-ABS. In that case I have provided a fully commented and documentated code. In 2.x I will also provide class diagrams and method descriptions as separate documention for even easier reference and an overview over the entire system so editors will be able to find the spot they need to edit very quickly without searching and browsing the script. Using Blizz-ABS was never easier and editing will become even more easy.

One drawback which I admit is the sprite format. I will change the sprite format in 2.0 to a similar or the same format as it's used in XAS so people can switch easier between the systems. Or in other words: People who used XAS but didn't want to change to Blizz-ABS because of the extra work of sprite conversion will now have a chance to change without bothering about sprite conversions.

Caro Ru Lushe

Blizz-ABS is better . . . .

XAS ABS made me work too many hours on what Blizz-ABS let me do in a short time. Plus, It has Compatibility with Blizz's Ton's of Add-ons & CLS, plus the comming Ally AI's & a tons of features . . . It will defeat XAS :p plus, Blizz-ABS is fully customizable with ease, unlike XAS. :x & has an Author who is willing to help out even if people ask the same questions 10 times over & over again, & he considers the suggestions people give him to add >:3

JohnPetrucciPwns

I do admit, I have never used XAS, and I truly only have used Blizz-ABS, and I can say I have always had a hard time coding. (I'm still very new to it) Blizzard has never left me clueless on any question that I have asked him. He has helped me so many times with issues and gaming problems. Even if XAS is better, I would still stay with Blizz-ABS because of how user-friendly it is, and how knowledgeable and respectful Blizzard is as a programmer and a person. Compatibility is also very important. It isn't only compatibility, it also leads into how customizable a system is. Like I said, I myself haven't done much coding, but never have I had a problem customizing Blizz-ABS.

And maybe I am easy to please, but I have never frowned upon Blizz-ABS.

legacyblade

I think that XAS is better than blizzABS in terms of customizable power (at the current moment) True, it's annoying to get the hang of, but you can pull off ANY skill design you want with the system. I don't really like working with XAS, but it allows greater graphical immersion, and greater flexibility with skills. True, blizzABS is easier to use, faster, and more compatible. But as things stand now, XAS is better if you want things to look nice, not just process quickly.

Pokol DaErran

XAS seems a bit better, but it also seems too hard for most noobs to use. :P
On the other hand, Blizz-ABS turned my disaster of a game into a passable diversion, so I'll have to cast my vote with the Chaos Project admin.
"...Sometimes, the impossible can become possible- if you're awesome!"
--Bolt

legacyblade

I am personally using BlizzABS. It's compatible with more scripts, and you can get a caterpillar script to work with it. Since blizz is actively trying to incorporate our suggestions into blizzABS, I think it shows the most potential. As things stand, if you want an awesome battle system, with lots of features, go with blizzABS. However, if you want great graphical immersion, and the ability to make each skill very unique and cool looking, and make spells part of puzzles, go with XAS. I'm sticking with BlizzABS, because it shows great potential.

Blizzard

Potential which I will try to use well. :)

Fantasist

Quotexas have devastating special attacks and not a stupid stop time crap to use a skill!
XAS have a super cool HUD! and everything is fully customizable!

*sigh*... A script IS the result of customization if you think about it, the important point is, how well will you be able to customize the system with what you know about scripting? Besides, if eye candy is soo important, I'd LOVE to see you make a game which has those flashy "devastating special attacks" and "a super cool HUD!" which doesn't lag like hell in my laptop with a 2 GHz processor. If you pull it off with XAS, I'll:
eat my hat (content warning, open for what REALLY came to my mind when I was typing): ShowHide
give you a friggin blowjob

There's something called balance b/w eye candy and performance. I think I can say I know about this pretty well, because most of my scripts are eye-candy related. I've tried LOADS of stuff for my game and I've not even posted a quarter of those. I wanted really good eye-candy, but I came to realize it can be achieved without having a "script" which lags the game down. Heck, I know some RM2k games which had brilliant CMSes and stuff entirely evented. The point of an ABS is to introduce that feature, it's not a product which has to have EVERY DAMN THING in it. There's no point. And btw, there are some VERY old games which suck at graphics (DOS RPGs with letters) but are still interesting. I think Blizz-ABS has the right balance, and I prefer it so much because it offers so many features with pretty good performance. I'd use the COSLAL version Blizz-ABS than XAS just because it gives me what I want without screwing up anything else.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews