Blizz-ABS vs. XAS

Started by computerwizoo7, September 30, 2008, 07:21:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Niche

Dude, that's the best choice. I'm doing writing, sociology, politics or engineering whenever I get into college.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

36inc

Quote from: Markchapman10 on September 29, 2010, 01:41:14 pm
Can i ask you a couple Questions? i dont think they are personel...
What college did you go to?
How long did it take you to get this kick ass at scripting?

Ruby for Vx and Xp is easeir then full C++ you dont need much to learn it.
it almost tells you its language in the help menus
I am Rose Erin.

Blizzard

September 29, 2010, 03:06:07 pm #342 Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 03:07:27 pm by Blizzard
Can i ask you a couple Questions? i dont think they are personel...
What college did you go to?
How long did it take you to get this kick ass at scripting?
What kinda job do you have?

Lots of people around the community know me so no, this isn't really personal (or at least no private information anymore). If you asked me if I had a girlfriend and started hitting on me, that would be personal. xD

I went a college in my country called Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing.
I currently work for a game development company in my country (Cateia Games) as developer and project leader (depending on the project).

I didn't do any significant amount of programming prior to college so I learned pretty much all I know during the last 5 years. Is had some small C knowledge before starting with Ruby so it was easier to get into it than for most people without any prior knowledge. I got quite good during my first year, but it took me another year to learn things beyond just coding stuff. I started understanding how to develop systems on an abstract base rather than just coding during my second year and I improved both skills heavily during my third year (improved coding style that makes it easier for others to read and understand the code and better design through refining of experience and already solved problems in the past). Back then I thought I was quite good, but when I look back now, I can see how inexperienced I really was. I was just at the beginning there. I had the true basics down, but there was a lot more to come. Sure, 3 years is a lot, but it was in the last 2 years that I started understanding my true capabilities. And the more I learn, the more I understand how much more there is to learn. I consider myself good, maybe really good. But I can get even better so it doesn't matter to me how good I am now. I want to the next level. And once I'm there, I will figure out what the level after that is and then get there, too. And I will keep doing this. This stuff doesn't only relate to coding, it relates to my whole life and my way of living. Everything is a new challenge for me.

But let's not go too much offtopic here.

Sorry, lol... im 18 and was wondering if it was worth it to go to college for some type of computer deal. I was thinking about going to college for marketing, but i would rather go for something i like instead...

Well, you can try MIT. Supposedly it's easier than my college was (or at least that's what some trustworthy people told me).
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Markchapman10

winkio

Quote from: Blizzard on September 29, 2010, 03:06:07 pm
Well, you can try MIT. Supposedly it's easier than my college was (or at least that's what some trustworthy people told me).

Sorry Blizz, but I fail to believe that a college with a 3-year comp sci degree is harder than MIT.

Blizzard

Well, for one thing it's a college that has a B.Sc degree in 3 years INCLUDING a M.Sc degree after 5 years and a PhD degree after 8 years. Secondly my college has an internationally recognized diploma. I can literally call a company in the US now, send them a copy of my diploma and they'll take me. Thirdy, I've talked to both a guy who went to MIT after 3 years here and a guy who came to us from MIT (I can't remember which year). Both told me the exact same thing: MIT is easy compared to FER.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

cyclope

Quote from: Blizzard on September 29, 2010, 04:42:22 pm
Well, for one thing it's a college that has a B.Sc degree in 3 years INCLUDING a M.Sc degree after 5 years and a PhD degree after 8 years. Secondly my college has an internationally recognized diploma. I can literally call a company in the US now, send them a copy of my diploma and they'll take me. Thirdy, I've talked to both a guy who went to MIT after 3 years here and a guy who came to us from MIT (I can't remember which year). Both told me the exact same thing: MIT is easy compared to FER.

Harder doesnt mean better, just saying :P like XAS is harder to use than Blizz-ABS but Blizz-ABS it way better :D
Things I Hate

1. People who point at their wrist asking for the time... I know where my watch is pal, where the hell is yours? Do I point at my crotch when I ask where the toilet is?

2. People who are willing to get off their a** to search the entire room for the TV remote because they refuse to walk to the TV and change the channel manually.

3. When people say "Oh you just want to have your cake and eat it too". Damn Right! What good is cake if you can't eat it?

4. When people say "it's always the last place you look". Of course it is. Why the hell would you keep looking after you've found it? Do people do this? Who and where are they?

5. When people say while watching a film, "did ya see that?" No Loser, I paid $12 to come to the cinema and stare at the damn floor!

6. People who ask "Can I ask you a question?"... Didn't give me a choice there, did ya sunshine?

Calintz

College is a huge decision to make.
No, harder does not always mean better, but when it comes to college it does for the most part...

Better colleges will often present you with the more tasking road of knowledge which in most cases WILL be harder. If you plan on making your way to the top wherever you want to go with life, then the hard road is what you want, because it will be testing you in many different aspects helping you grow entirely as a person with time, and though the experience may be harder for you, the reward will be sweeter and the knowledge you get will help you wherever you go in life...

Honestly, don't waste your time when it comes to college. Have a preset desire going in you know? College costs a lot, so play around for a bit if you need to, but don't go years without selecting a primary major. Think a lot about the decision. You'll do really well I know it.

Blizzard

September 30, 2010, 02:28:47 am #348 Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 02:36:53 am by Blizzard
Quote from: cyclope on September 29, 2010, 09:27:49 pm
Harder doesnt mean better, just saying

I'm the first to confirm that. I never said it was better. My college has turned into something like brainfuck. It's hard and ridiculously stressful, but you don't have real benefits from it. You just get frustrated and in the end you don't know shit. Luckily I was doing stuff on the side during college (include RMXP) so I actually learned something.

36inc

Sadly the school system failed me.I didnt last the sixth grade.
not for accademic reasons.
rather they wouldnt protect me or defend me,theyd rather stick pills down my throat.
So Im totaly homeschooled.

And I came to the conclusion that other people make everything sound harder then it is,when its all quite easy.I find things pretty easy to do despite my lack in education.Infact I understand things easier cause Im not bored by the subject but rather look for it.

you just need to remember just cause you think its hard,doesnt mean its hard.
everything is really easy,When you want to know it,understand it.You will.(not to say it doesnt come with work and effort just sayin its made harder by  believing its hard)
I am Rose Erin.

OracleGames

September 30, 2010, 04:56:29 am #350 Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:58:24 am by OracleGames
XaS sucks ;)
so does politics..

Played the demo a little and saw things that Babs can`t do at the moment like picking/holding up objects while walking, then throwing them with another button as an attack, they can even leave items when smashed or fall in a pit like in zelda`s.

The system looks like lots of fun but most of the time i was lost in the middle of particle effects, lag and Unrecognizable boss moves, there`s also a very weird slowness when you lvl up or use overdrive.

You can`t use items directly from menu either, you have to equip them first and use them in-game, maybe that was planned but in Babs you can have like 10 items or spells ready to use in game.

The Niche

...This has gone so far off topic...  :<_<:
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

Markchapman10

My fault..... BABS FOR THE WIN!!! LOL!!!

rainboybob

I gotta put my view in on this. first off, I agee Blizz Abs is the better script for several reasons. It's custom setup is super noob friendly and it is the most compatible script I've seen. I was so impressed by it, I stayed up all night going through all the scripts by Blizz and others seeing it's potential. My end result is a game with a completly new menu setup with more setup info in the menu like a bestiary and weapon crafting system. It supports 9 party members with an easy to use party switcher. It has a lock on system, esper junction (im working on), choice level up system, and so much more.

For the record that was all in one game. The only bad thing about Blizz is the so precious and able combo system won't work for me and I have a muli party hud setup that causes lagging when I switch my leader but the fact I've now learned Blizz made an anti lag script makes it all the better. I did try xas first and I thought it was awesome and fun to look at, but it wasn't too customizable and didn't have near as many good script compadibilities as xas. I actually stumbled into blizz for being unable to find a larger party script for xas.

Blizz also taught me alot about scripting. I learned to control Hud looks, Increase and link new menu parts(weapon maker baby :naughty:) and actually understand what the hell is going on in scripts. For that I must thank Blizz, I'm your number one fan man. And uhh...if blizz or his replacer sees this can someone please tell me how to fix the combo system. Movement commands won't work but the combo attacks attack process does. I have the 2.8 version with a 2.7 command box or where you make the combos. Please though, how do I fix this???  :(

The Niche

Dude, first, please, pretty please, go upload your system here. Second, go make a welcome topic. Third, first post and you've given me your soul already. Fourth, I am out of things to say.

Blizzard

I've helped you out a lot? O_o Do I know you? xD

Subsonic_Noise

I am amazed by the amount of people of whatever opinion who register just to post in this otherwise dead thread and then never show up again. Funny.

Ryex

So. I finally took an in depth look at how XAS works. my reaction? WTF! reallyif I'm not mistaken you have to define AI through the Move Route FOR EVERY ENEMY YOU PLACE ON THE MAP! instead of just having  inbuilt AI like BABS I think thats just stupid. even the default battle system has inbuilt AI (abet all it is is random selection of attacks) the complexity of the setup is staggering unless you really need thous three of four features BABS doesn't have don't bother.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Magus

LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

legacyblade

XAS is actually pretty good for brawler games, and it's GREAT for making boss fights (it's easier than using blizzABS' forced actions, at least for me). It's also got a one up on blizzABS for making zelda games, since apparently newer versions allow picking up and throwing of items. (a feature I look forward to blizzABS one day having)

I used to be the biggest XAS fanboy, but the AI and ease of making weapons and items is what converted me back before we had party AI. Configuring XAS to do anything custom is downright hard. Not sure why people say it's easier. It is NOT easier, lol