The best laptops?

Started by Ryex, October 12, 2008, 07:32:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Which company makes the best laptops in the mainstream price range (300-900 us$) NOTE: PLEASE READ THE TOPIC FIRST!

Toshiba
Dell (#2 world PC manufacture)
HP (#1 world PC manufacture)
Acer (#3 world PC manufacture)
Gateway (owned by Acer)
Compaq (owned by HP)

Ryex

I'm thinking about getting a laptop from one of these companies and I need to know which people think is best please consider the fallowing before voting

• Build quality
  • performance for price
  • how long it lasts in working order
  • reputation for having problems (if applicable *I'm sure it is if it isn't search deeper*)

after voteing please post a list ranking them  in order with an overall rating of 1-10.

*example list*
Toshiba - 9.5
Dell - 9.3
HP - 8.7
Acer - 8
Gateway - 7.9
Compaq - 7.3

thank you!

*Running total average ratings*

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

I've had some pretty bad experience with HP. My new roommate bought a Toshiba recently and had even more problems. One of my ex-roommates is the only person that has an Acer and has no problems. I know loads of other people that have giant problems. i.e. The sound card of an Acer of a collegue at college died within 3 months. >.<

I don't know about the rest, but I would recommend Lenovo (IBM). HP is usually way too overpriced, but would still be a good choice even though I had problems myself. That was with cheaper and/or older models, though.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

a just forget it looks like I'm getting a fell XPS 1530 laptop
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Dragonmanb

I think this is a pointless discustions and BEFORE you jump on my gun i am IT so yeah i have exp. In tech.
Project Pokemon Academy

Embrace nothing. If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha. If you meet your father, kill your father. Only live your life as it is, not bound to anything.
Said by the best monk ever

Ryex

I made the topic originally to see which company people thought was best but almost no one offered any info so I just dropped it

Blizzard

October 22, 2008, 06:47:30 am #5 Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:11:59 am by Blizzard
Maybe if you waited for more people to post... -_- You gave an extremely limited selection of manufacturers to choose from. That's like asking which the best filehost is and mention only 4 or 5 of them. Just because they manufacturers say so doesn't mean they ARE the #1, #2 or whatever manufacturer in the world. That's just advertise and you fell for it.

Also, the price range is completely unreal. I doubt that there are any half-assed laptops for less than $800. Usually stuff under $1200 is complete crap. You don't get a lot for the money you pay. i.e. My current roommate bought a laptop a few weeks ago for $900 and it's meh. I wouldn't give that kind of money for a laptop like that. I'd rather pay $1400-$1600 for a reasonably good one. Usually the overpriced stuff like $2000 and higher is either stuff from HP which you can get for less money from another manufacturer or it has a hardware configuration which differs from the $1500 price models by 10%, maybe 20%. i.e. You get 20GB more HDD, 1GB more RAM and a better graphic card. That's throwing away money. You can get giant external harddrives for a low price (300GB for $200?). RAM is cheap as ever (1GB for $40-$60, that's about the price in my country). And a better graphic card? If you're not a hardcore gamer who needs it, better leave it be.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.