I just have to get this off my chest [Warning: Religious Rant]

Started by tSwitch, October 15, 2008, 10:55:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tSwitch

I'm not Christian, I don't believe in following the bible as law or in damnation to hell because I don't go to church and blah blah blah, but it seems I follow the ideals more than ACTUAL "GOOD" CHRISTIANS DO.

I've read sections of the bible, it's a great metaphorical work **imho**, that helps people to learn one simple thing.  Don't be an asshole.  Jesus tolerated other people's beliefs and feelings, their differences, and still treated them as family.  So why do "good" Christians, who claim to be following his path and trying to live as he did, fail SO MISERABLY in doing so? 

Is it really so hard to not walk around yelling "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL BECAUSE YOU DON'T GO TO CHURCH!"? Is it really so hard to accept that other people believe differently from you?  Is it -really so hard- to be NICE to people who just happen to not be from the same church?

I've never found a single entry in the bible that condones the abuse of others because they don't follow your path.  I never -once- read a segment where Jesus told someone who refused his faith "well then you're going to hell."  In fact, did he not die for EVERYONE'S sins?  Not -just- the ones that followed him?

The bible, and everything written in it are words, and words are subject to interpretation of man.  Hence why so many -different- interpretations of the same book exist.  Who is to say which is right and which is wrong?  It SURELY is not the job of man, who by their own admission is imperfect and sins daily, no?

All that sums up to, WHY ARE THEY SO DAMN IGNORANT?  People like this shun the outside world and cluster themselves with like-minded individuals, damning everyone around them, feeling secure that their afterlife will be a pleasant one, while the next group over does the exact same thing.  If this is the world that their "God" intended, then I surely want no part in their salvation.

If you're wondering where this is coming from, it's from my situation with Tommy.  His parents automatically assume I'm evil because I'm bi and non-christian.  OH HEAVEN FORBID HE SHOULD HAVE A DIFFERENT BELIEF THAN US HE MUST BE CORRUPTING OUR SON!  "Bad company corrupts bad morals" is all they seem to see, and they seem to ignore everything else in the process.  I'm not doing anything to hurt Tommy here;  he's not doing drugs, drinking, failing school, committing crimes, or anything, and HE'S SMILING, OH HEAVEN FORBID I SHOULD PUT A SMILE ON HIS FACE!

And I won't even get into the evidence from their own books that support us as a couple (and that they would likely dismiss anyway, seeing as they're apparently given free reign to interpret two ADJACENT SENTENCES in the Bible differently, much less entire sections)

Sorry for the rant, I had to get it off my chest somewhere.
Reply if you feel the need, or could possibly offer some insight, idk, I just needed a rant.

I in -no- way am insulting Christianity or any related religion, nor am I condemning them (in fact, I think Christianity, in its essence, is a great thing).  What I am condemning are people who take the religion and use it as a reason to elevate themselves above everyone around them, and who are ignorant, hypocritical bastards who couldn't follow the path they claim to, if it was footprints in sand, yet still claim to be "good christians"

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Blizzard

You are not insulting anyone except ignorant assholes. As I said on MSN, let's generalize this. Most people are ignorant assholes, it's not just Christians. -_- I completely support you.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

tSwitch

Quote from: Blizzard on October 15, 2008, 10:59:10 am
You are not insulting anyone except ignorant assholes. As I said on MSN, let's generalize this. Most people are ignorant assholes, it's not just Christians. -_- I completely support you.

it applies across the board to most religions and religious groups, however, right now, I'm mostly aggravated with this particular sect, so they're my scapegoat.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Fantasist

Religion is a way of life and a belief that's supposed to result in harmony. It's ALWAYS people who mess up. Worst part is that some of them refuse to accept it and they aren't even aware that they interpret religion in an unhealthy way. While they enforce their point of view, they believe they're defending their religion. What a world we live in (-_-)'

QuoteYou are not insulting anyone except ignorant assholes. As I said on MSN, let's generalize this. Most people are ignorant assholes, it's not just Christians. -_- I completely support you.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Diokatsu

Quote from: Fantasist on October 15, 2008, 03:43:08 pm
Religion is a way of life and a belief that's supposed to result in harmony. It's ALWAYS people who mess up. Worst part is that some of them refuse to accept it and they aren't even aware that they interpret religion in an unhealthy way. While they enforce their point of view, they believe they're defending their religion. What a world we live in (-_-)'

Religion isn't the only thing people take too seriously! Politics, philosophies, even views on simple things like diets and clothes! It's easy to say Christianity is a big bunch of ignorant pricks, but what makes them pricks is the fact that they take their beliefs and shove them down other's throats; not in the least related to religion just the passionate fact of human nature that wills them to express their beliefs in a less openminded manner. I think Christianity takes a lot of shit because it has made some brutal mistakes in the past, but people need to stop pushing this shit on them. Though I agree with you one hundred percent, it's ironic how you have such passion for hit other people's ways of life e.g. pansexuality. i just want to ask if I really matters if people are assholes if you are supposed to accept everyone as they are? It's ok to state your disagreements and point out the self-evident contridictions in their action in regards to their words but please, please, please refrain from singling out a group or sect; what you raise affects not Christians but the whole of people in general, and I don't think ANYONE should have their religion or views insulted, whether from your words or their interpretation.

EDIT: I'm not Christian either btw...I'm agnostic

Blizzard

That's the exactly same thing that I am thinking. We live in a free world (most of us xD) and people should accept it. The concept of "equality" of all humans is based on the idea that we accept each other because we are human regardless of other things because that's who we are. And instead of bashing each other we should be helping out each other. Too bad 99% of the world doesn't look at it this way because they are either too busy with bashing others or defending themselves.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Starrodkirby86

Tolerance...Oh how people need that. Of course, not everyone is accepting of stuff...Not wanting someone there, you're not accepting their presence, that's just an example or something...This is just to a bigger degree...D:

If only the world is more accepting then we'd have a rather peaceful...but possibly still evil place...It's all the negative qualities of the human mind that really results to this...

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Punn

Jesus loves little children...  :O_O:

All joking aside, yeah.. there's some hard core religious twats thinking that they are going to heaven, many of them claim to be pure (Deanna, I know you did the nasty, and don't forget the time you you gave a man a bumpkin.. but I was paying attention on this dude and the chick doing the angry dragon.. she got the nice horsebox... ^o^). Many people hit me and said "I'm doing god a favor", which is kind of getting annoying now.  There's some idiot who thinks that they're are doing things for the right reasons, even if the way to do it is wrong. I hate those who uses religion as an excuses.

On a side note: I'm going to marry a crapload of Utah girls and say I'm a Mormon..  ^_^

Fantasist

QuoteI hate those who uses religion as an excuses.

Cheers to you mate!
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews