Prophet

Started by Reygekan, October 22, 2008, 12:39:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Reygekan

October 22, 2008, 12:39:39 am Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 07:35:05 pm by Reygekan
Disclaimer: This game deals with religious themes. This is not the place for religious debates.

Prophet

~Concept

This game is slightly different in that although it follows one of the main characters, it tells the viewpoint of everyone else. The NPC's, shopkeepers, etc., instead. The game does a few things differently, I've abolished leveling as a system, for example, in favor of a more unit-based style of gameplay. This is a very, very skill based game, ridiculously so as every skill gives you more and more options than you had before. EXP is now used as your currency to buy skills, you do not have to buy weapons, armor, or items, they'll be supplied to you. This game is also very... stylistic in it's approach, if I say so myself. The general idea is that the player is now the world, it's now the player versus the main character rather than the player versus an NPC (well, exluding combat). Depending on your approach, the game will reveal itself differently, and multiple playthroughs will reveal bits about Rein, or any of the main characters, you didn't know before.

It's going to be split up into 4 chapters, not including the tutorial and prologue. Torah, Bible, Qur'An, Prophet. The game will follow Rein, Proth, and [???] accordingly, the last chapter being a 3-way battle in which you decide the outcome. (:D)

~Story

I'd normally post the events of the prologue here, but godsdamn it that's all the demo goes up to! So you'll have to play it instead :P

~Graphical Style

The game will be drawn in a rather cartoony, chibi-ish style. Thisi is due to two things: firstly, I can't draw for crap, and secondly: I'm lazy. The game will have a serious tone to it's large theme, but will also be a fun, crazy-filled game with charactesr that just don't make any real sense and events that look like they came from an anime. Yeah, the story is all srs, but that doesn't mean I have to present it as such. Where would the fun in that be? :P

~Gameplay

All conversations will focus largely on a risk/reward type dialogue system- you select choices that may or may not push your luck and can eventually initiate a risk. Higher the risk, higher the reward. All dungeons will have several different paths to take, all based on your own ingenuity. The World Map will have teleport points simply because walking around is  only amazing for exploration, and boring as hell otherwise. Battles will consist of GTBS, however I am planning on editing the battle system further when I learn how to use Ruby (because I'm not naive enough to expect a good scripter to actually volunteer to script this all for me).

Planned Changes-
*Comfort Stat- This is a stat that varies as the battle goes on, the tighter your characters position the less comfortable, the better the more comfortable. This affects accuracy, evasion, and hit chance. Higher comfort = Higher bonuses. Ranges between -20 to 20.

*Savior stat- This is a stat that gives you bonuses if you're powerful and your friends are weak- you get stat bonuses for trying to save them against the odds. Every character will have their own savior stat leading to different bonuses.

Comfort removed: Slippery Slope
Savior removed: Unwarranted Rewards

*Double Hits- Based on speed, you should be able to hit twice. FE style.
Removed: Will be a skill, more importantly it'd break the system

*Garunteed Counter- This is more of me just not knowing how the hell GTBS works than anything.
Removed: Now a skill

Current battles use SMALL NUMBERS. Stats will range between 1-60, and 60-150 for HP and TP.

Every level having better damage and bonuses than the last, however whether I want this dependant on a kill counter or buyable, I'm not sure of yet.

Weapons will not be bought. My god I hated weapon management in Fire Emblem, and always will. This is a strategy RPG, there's no reason for you to lose because you didn't have over nine thousand gold to buy the +shoopdawhoop sword of awesome. You will simply be flat out GIVEN most of your equipment. Gold will only be used to buy items, it doesn't really have much of a use aside from that. Now, as you can guess, equipment will be very balanced and standard since most is given to you (although some may become unlockables) so expect most of your variation to be in abilities, resistances, states, etc.,

Out of battle gameplay will be focused on having a shiteload of characters. Yes, only a few will develop in the story- they are the mains. The rest develop in their respective sidequsts and in the in-base dialogue you can have with them. This is done to keep the plot clean, but characters are introduced for the sake of variation so do expect several, as I'll add some whenever the hell I feel like it. There will be a DNS, simply becauase Blizzard took the time to code one, however exactly how dynamic I want NPC dialogue hasn't been totally decided yet. Do I want the dynamic control only the first time? Randomly? To hell if I know.

Things I will NEVER EVER HAVE: 1) A box pushing quest (seriously, lame)
2) An unwarranted fetch quest (and if I do have a fetch quest, you can bet I'll spice it up and make it bitching awesome)
3) Whiny useless female main characters (See Sakura from Naruto. My female mains will NOT be a waste of life)
4) Deus Ex Machina (Unless as a joke and overplayed intentionally, because I'd rather kill every main character in the game then submit to Deus Ex to drive the plot forward)
5) A half angel half demon. No. Go Away.
6) Cloud Strife. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

The game will be split into four parts (maybe): Torah, Bible, Qur'an, Prophet. Every arc will start and end with a quote from the book of the part it's in (just to make you think, and to foreshadow. Yeaaaaah)

Donate!
Want to make the game bigger? Then donate some art, sounds, or scripts to the cause! If you'd like to donate, but aren't sure what to give, feel free to contact me ahead of time.

Spoiler: ShowHide
Alright, the final release of Chapter 0 will be V0++, which will have more fixes, testing, and some redone maps. I am posting the tileset I made for the city up here. If you'd like to add some scenery element for use, simply paste it on and give it a send, and I'll be able to incorporate it when I go over the maps.

Screenshots

Demo
Things to be done-
+Fix passibility glitches
+Improve maps
+Animate. Currently battles are largely unanimated
+More custom resources! Eventually all NPC's will have a redrawn sprite, and a facesprite!

Download Version 0+ (features chapters -1 and 0)

Credits

+Shodu/Reygekan/Rey/Shadi/Dreth/Drags: Designer, Lead Artist, Mapper, Pretty much everything actually
+Sandgolem: Scripts
+Moghunter: Scripts
+Ccoa: Scripts
+Fantasist: Scripts
+Zeriab: Scripts
+Blizzard: Scripts
+Blizzard Again: Well I used a lot of his scripts
+GuBid: Battle System
+GuBid: Seriously, it's a good TBS
+GuBid: I'll stop now
+Modern Algebra: Scripts
+PhotonWeapon: Scripts
+Maestro Rage: Sound
+Da Buzz: Sound
+Rune

[/long]

legacyblade

I could do some simple scripting for you. and you should add a "slippery floor" puzzle to your list of things you won't do. those are seriously the MOST annoying puzzles in existence -.-

Reygekan

I don't even want to get into the details necessary for a FULL list of things I wont do :P

Simple scripting? o.o I'm liking the sound of this, continue :P

scoace13

November 05, 2008, 08:55:14 pm #3 Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 12:12:20 am by scoace13
yo...i got you on eventing.. if i could garner some help fprm you with my game...see topic below yours

EDit: oh yeah im good at doing large systems like an item creation system of a random item genarator based on level or other large scale events (evented abs doesnt count thoung id like to make one if i got the time)
scoace13, Eventman extrodnaire...so anybody seen any good movies recently <br />...whys is this here..........random fate...same reason im here...

legacyblade

simple scripting...small script edits, a few addons, some simple minigames, maybe some battle system edits. That's what I mean by simple.

Fantasist

The concept is very interesting, i'm looking forward to this. Good luck guys :) *powers up*
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Reygekan

legacyblade- would you be able to add more stats? For example, critical rate as it's own stat, dodge rate, etc.,? I'm just curious as to your capability, because I do want crit rate, dodge rate, a comfort level (stat scaling based on situation) and a save level (stat boosts based on situation) scripted in, and I don't want to ask something of you that you simply can't do. You're in regardless, though ^_^

socoace13- Don't worry, no evented abs, but you're in on eventing ^_^

Just an update on the project, I've decided the story will cover four POV's- meaning four badass central no-controlly characters. In order-

Rein: Claims to be a prophet, the first character you're introduced to. An angel, he rips off his wings at the beginning of the wing so he can go unidentified in the human world.
Proth: Rein's older brother and general of the angelic military, is told by the highest preists that Rein is a tool of Satan, some clues state that Proth may actually be the true prophet.
Vex: Commander of the human militia, who has identified all parties as threats to the kingdom, intends on wiping all of them out to protect mankind. Believes they are all lunatics.
Kitra: A rather lazy demon who was sucked into the war by Rein, she likes fire eating small children between the ages of three and four.

So six characters you have no control over, yes there are two othesr. Seth and Lucy, they are two "messengers of God" (remember that is a claim that is neither supported nor refuted, which is the cause for quotations) who basically start Rein's journey, talk to him along the way, offer him prophetic words of wisdom, etc.,

These will be the "absolutes" in the game, the only characters who you have absolutely no sway over. More on that, you will be able to talk to any NPC one time, in which you will be able to direct the flow of the dialogue as that NPC, the rest of the time the NPC will simply go about businses as usual [as usual for any of my games anyway].

In terms of equipment, I've decided on a single weapon, a single armor, an ability slot, a power slot, and an accessory slot. The weapon is anythign standard, higher levels of standard free weapons will probably be sidequest rewards. Armor is, obviously, just armor. Accessories as per usual. The two important ones are the ability and power slot. [This means Coutner may become an ability, but I might just give that to you]. Every ability will be unique and add some kind of twice- think Fire Emblem or Pokemon here. They may be something basic like extra movement, or special attacks, or fire immunity or whatever. Power slots will be a special feature (fire damage, double critical rate, etc.,) you can attach onto a weapon or armor peice, these, being non-standard, will probably be bought.

Also, logic is big on this game. For example, yes, your bladed weapon does in fact do more to the big jellypuss than a blunt one for once, because chances are if it's jelly you'll need to, you know, actually cut it. There are a TON of elements that check those attributes, so if something makes sense try it.

legacyblade

Uhhh, I'm not really sure what you're asking for. But to me, it just sounds like adding a few more algorithms to the battle system. And I think that should be very simple (I don't have to mess around with windows or graphics). Send me a detailed request via PM, and I'll see what I can do!

scoace13

k...glad to be here....just let me know what you need and i got it for you...btw i like what you doing with the this game it really stands out....
scoace13, Eventman extrodnaire...so anybody seen any good movies recently <br />...whys is this here..........random fate...same reason im here...

Reygekan

I gave you a proper explanation in that PM.

Thanks sco ^_^ Most of the decisions were kinda the result of needing a particular effect, although I'm not totally satisfied with what I've got in terms of NPC interaction I think it's tolerable, as even the story now becomes a you vs absolute ordeal.

It'll be presented in four books by the way. Respectively named Tora, Bible, Qur'an, and Prophet. (This was decided before I planned on 4 absolutes). I might have each book take one POV, or mix them up in between, not entirely sure. Thoughts anyone?

Reygekan

Yes this is still going on :P

Just an update.

I've decided that there will be no shops at all, whatsoever. You will have two equipment slots: Attack Modifier and Special Modifier. Attack Modifier will allow you to equip bonuses to your physical attack- knockback, stun, fire element, etc., whereas Special Modifier will add some random ability to your character- +1 MOV, Counter, +10 CRIT, etc., These, being bonuses, will serve as rewards you get for quests and such, but are not vital to play. You can go through the entire game without them. (I may also add a Costume Slot if I get enough spriters to warrant it, or if I decide to do multiple color variations on everyone, but I'll save that until I have enough sprites to go with).

There will be no leveling in Prophet at all. I may or may not have stat increasing items. All numbers will be small- 30 ATK, 150 HP, etc., This removes the effectiveness of powerleveling and encourages the player to try out different teammate combinations. Characters will be different in that this game is going to be very skill heavy- it's going to be about having a bunch of options and using them. Difficulty will have nothing to do with difference in stats (well maybe for bosses) now but positioning and how heavily they outnumber you. Each character will be more situational now as well. This game will test your tactical capability, each character is now their own unit.

There will be no gold- rather, EXP will become your currency, and it will be used to purchase nothing but skills. Each character will be able to buy and use certain skills, and other skills may be quest rewards. This means there is some level of growth throughout the game, but only in the form of which options you have. This also means I'm abandoning the 4 levels of skills idea. A skill is another option, and that's what strategy is about. Using your options to their optimal point, the one with the most option is the one with the advantage.

The game will have a good number of unique characters per group, however I'll also allow you to have the option of using generic characters- think Final Fantasy Tactics. Generic Characters will have their own skillset, seperate from uniques, but will have the same skills as every other generic character in their class. You'll probably be allowed to name them as well, but I haven't decided yet.

As this is my Winter Break, I'll use it to try and get a basic demo done by January.

winkio

This is starting to sound really interesting.  I like your new ideas and I hope you implement them in an awesome way.  Excited to see the demo when you get it done!

Blizzard

You know, Passive Skills from Tons of Add-ons might come in very handy for your game if you're not going to let the player level.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Reygekan

Tons is already part of the project. Love that thing to death, I never start anything without importing it immediately <3

Thansk winkio ^_^ The entire project is very... experimental to say the least so it's good to have some support.

Diokatsu

December 23, 2008, 02:13:25 am #14 Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:15:00 am by Diokatsu
* Diokatsu is not supportive :V

This looks like fun....I hope it doesn't go BOOM! right in your face though xD You have some people expecting the best now and I'm guessing you shant disappoint them :3 Power up for the sheer ingenuity of this project.

EDIT: I like the idea of an epigraph, as I've yet to see that in RMXP games.

Reygekan

Thanks for unsupportively giving some praise to the project Dio :P

Oh expectations, how you slay me. I can say that for everyone expecting amazingly detailed art with some extremely complex shading to go somewhere else. I've done about two tilesets, one character, and about 30 (out of like, over 200) in battle frames. Likely the demo will be mostly original art with non-animated battles and many RTP characters. Just a heads up- don't expect perfection with it. Or anything close. Because I'm making it and my mapping sucks :P

Also, Chapters -1 and 0 have no epigraph because they don't count.

The first town's coming along well. It's taking forever because each NPC takes at least fifteen minutes to finish, but I've got nearly half of it done. Or less. <.<

To Do List:
+ Add Weapon Modifier Slot
+ Finish fully animated battlers (for at least Rein)
+ More custom civilian sprites
+ A few more battles... maybe the demo will give you access to a special, battle room?
+ Add more classes
+ Finish first town
+ Fix all the weird passability shtuffs that's going on
+ Actually get the story moving along

scoace13

...im still here... and still waiting for my eventing jobs....jst sayn

Reygekan

I haven't forgotten, I'm just not far enough to need your help quite yet :P

The first villiage is almost done. By almost done, I mean the areas the prologue will let you access are almost done. The entire town will be about two, three, or maybe even four times as big. There are about 15 NPC's so far, but still not much in terms of actual story. (If you play nothing but story in the demo, your game time will amount to maybe... ten minutes max. It's just going to be the prologue). I'm working on two more custom character sets and am going to draw up two or three picture cutscenes for use. Expect it in about a week.

Reygekan

Demo up. There are still some problems, and I plan on doing a system upgrade to GTBS 1.5 when that's released (so save files probably wont last) but I think it's rather good for a beginning.

I will say this- if you go straight through the story you'll only play for about ten minutes. So far, it's only really the prologue. If you explore the town and do all the sidequests, you probably have well over an hour of stuff to do, so consider that. Also, I've given you all access to my "debug" rooms where I test battles, abilities, etc., when you complete the story, if you want to play around with the 6 other characters (you start with 5, one you unlock).

Some changes to the system in terms of slot. I've given up on Weapon Modifier, because there's really no point when different weapons accomplish the same thing. Your current slots are Weapon, Armor [Locked], Costume, Ability [Locked, the ability is random if it's a non-unique character], Accessory. This pretty much accomplishes the same thing, as weapons will only really be different in abilities. There are no costumes available.

Updates will probably be slow and large, I wont give any kind of date for when the next one will arrive, because I have no idea and it could be months from now. But, giving me your feedback, donating some resources, and telling me about glitches will certainly speed up the process.

scoace13

bug report...: Joshua's you dont have enought message is on an infinate loop....