Mapping Improvement Thread

Started by KRoP, October 25, 2008, 10:24:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Punn

Its those tileset.. I think I should change the tree with the opacity..

Satoh

Could you rephrase? I'm not sure what you're getting at...

It wasn't a shadow, but the catwalk itself.

Unless you mean the shadows on the right wall... those are there simple because the other sets I've seen had right wall shadows...
Requesting Rule #1: BE SPECIFIC!!

Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night...
Light a man afire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life... ¬ ¬;

My Resources

legacyblade

This thread is a good idea. So, I decided to post my two newest maps. What do you guys think?

Spoiler: ShowHide

@blizz, this is just my personal taste, but you map looked a bit empty to me. But then you could easily argue my maps are too messy, XD It's just my preference.

Starrodkirby86

October 26, 2008, 12:25:46 pm #23 Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 12:26:59 pm by Starrodkirby86
Too much visuals detract from the game sometimes, especially in a dungeon. They're perfect for games that primarily focus on the aesthetics or beauty. But for one that works on gameplay or anything, having too much scenery can prove to be quite a distraction. ;)

Some of the items scattered on your map may seem a bit too random, even for what a human would place in a natural environment. I mean, what use would there be that box right there? D: It's just a minor nitpick of course, and shouldn't be regarded too much. See if any of the cliffs are conflicting or they look too strange, a map like that with a lot of cliffs may be bound to those errors.

Those are nice maps, I suppose.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

legacyblade

Oh, I probably should have specified, but the second map is a cave that's being turned into a fortress. But then it got raided by a cult, who are taking it over. It's a construction site, thus the box and the barrels. And I found and fixed all the cliff errors I could find, but if anyone sees some, please point them out! thanks for the comments, starrod!

DeathLock

@LB: Doesn't look raided to me, looks like a bunch of leftovers. Maybe some "damage", it pretty much clears it up. Plus if it was a construction site, then maybe a few people there, guarding or working?

legacyblade

Well more like they snuck in in the middle of the night, and stole the base, XD About the guards, there will be some once I sprite it. One will run inside and alert everyone, and a few will stay and fight.

KRoP

SUPER BUMP
A few maps from a forest I've been working on.

Valcos

Im not good at mapping or anything but the map with the stars in the back ground the cliff area there it seems way to straight?  :huh:
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

Starrodkirby86

I agree with Valcos...Try adding some zigzag patterns or something else natural you would see on a cliff.

I'm really curious about the number of trees on the edge of land or on water...It looks extremely awkward that way. It would look fine if the roots were a little masked by the water, but it isn't, making it look totally strange. The ones on the edges are worse for me, in my opinion...I wonder if that even is water. :P

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

KRoP

Thanks for the critique, guys.  I'll fix up that cliff.  And yes, Starrod, that's water. xD  I'll see if I can have it go over the tree roots, but if I can't, idk.

Blizzard

The stairs going down the waterfall look a bit illogical. Firstly, it looks like the go into water. And secondly it's looks as if the stairs are very, very steep. You might wanna fix that as well.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

KRoP

I'm sorry, but . . . how?  I've been thinking forever on a more logical way to descend the waterfall. :l

Valcos

A SLIDE!!!!  :haha:!!!

I have a question tho... is the waterfall map connected to the map with the stars in the back ground? Cause it goes from water to stars?

Oh... and this is constructive criticism from us. I cant tell if you are getting frustrated or not xD! I like the maps by the way :haha:
-Oscar De La Hoya

KRoP

The right of the waterfall and the left of the panorama do connect with each other, yes.

Also, thankyou.

Reygekan

Getting down a waterfall? Jump it.

Or use a rope. But I like my idea more.

Blizzard

Quote from: KRoP on January 04, 2009, 12:58:25 pm
I'm sorry, but . . . how?  I've been thinking forever on a more logical way to descend the waterfall. :l

I can suggest a ladder or a cave that you enter on top and leave on the bottom or a rope lie Rey said. Or make a multiplatform path down with stairs. It's not too real either, but it's much harder to notice.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Sally

January 05, 2009, 07:44:11 pm #37 Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 07:45:16 pm by Susys

Valcos

Didnt you post the first one before? And i think for the second one, the pillar the farthest to the left should be moved up one square? :???:
-Oscar De La Hoya

Calintz

Quote from: Punn on October 26, 2008, 08:10:25 am

I was going for this "Checkpoint"-like area where you need to pay to go through, it's supposed to look like it was recently abandon.

Hmm...
The forest is just wrong. I'm just saying that those auto-tiles are not meant to be in correlation with trees on the map. Your best bet would be to line the interior edges of your map with many trees using the 2nd and 3rd layers...