Mapping Improvement Thread

Started by KRoP, October 25, 2008, 10:24:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

Its pretty decent size, but it might take bit crossing from one side of the map to another. It'd be alright if you plan on having sprinting.

ShadowPierce

->Using BABS... Anyway, guess I'd call this map finished... :haha:

Spoiler: ShowHide
Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

AliveDrive

Yeah it looks really good.

And idk call me lazy, but I probably would have split this town into East and West parts to cut down on apparent travel time.

This can make the map seem bigger while keeping walking time reasonable.
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

ShadowPierce

September 13, 2011, 11:48:57 am #383 Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:50:14 am by ShadowPierce
->Well, it IS a capital city after all... And I'm planning to add another one that's just as big if it looks to small for a capital... The whole city will be composed of 4 main parts: the Magic Academy, the Residential Area/s, the Commercial Area and the Industrial Area... :3

Oh, and thanks for the feedback! :haha:

EDIT:
->Comment on my project? :3

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,10460.msg152634.html

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
1161-0627-9890

Wizered67

I finally started working on a new project! Unfortunately, mapping isn't one of my strong points. Here is my first map I've made for my new project. I'd appreciate some feedback. It's supposed to be a fairly poor and small town, but I feel it may be a little too small and empty.

Starrodkirby86

It's a quaint, little map. So, seeing this is a poor, small town, the map acts like a linear dead-end point. There's the trail, and it more or less leads to each house, and thus does its duty for the player. So it's kind of like this town was entirely made as the player's rest stop, which might or might not be exactly the actual story's reason for this town's creation, y'know?

The map does seem a bit sparse too from that. I'm not quite suggesting to turn things into an unneeded, claustrophobic nature mess, but perhaps a little more natural eye-candy would do. The houses also seem to give a weird vibe from me, especially the windows to the wood on the top house there. Is it meant to be like that? I haven't really done much house physics or anything, so I'm not one to judge as well.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

mroedesigns

December 30, 2011, 05:49:37 am #386 Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 06:18:41 am by mroedesigns
HUGE image here (50x50 inch) of a mountain range I'm working on. There's 12 connected maps shown here at 50% size. I highlighted a few of the errors that I noticed, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions. Plus I think it looks pretty cool all put together  :P (For my current project, bloodlines)
Edit :: Helps if I post a link..  :roll:

http://s11.postimage.org/5buzf488j/big.png

Starrodkirby86

Hard to really tell from afar, but for mountain maps, as long as you've been using the small corner-turn mountain tiles in addition to the mountain edges (for esoteric mountain formations), then you're pretty much set.

However, there's one thing that felt odd to me. Look at the map that's third from the left, the horizontal one with its path shaped like a backwards-S (leading into the main center of the mountains). The middle wall of that mountain formation seems a little too thin in comparison to its right. It kind of looks like it's floating.

Otherwise, this is really cool! Nice work!

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Futendra

Okay, I can use some help.

These are my maps:

Demora Town.

Palace Interior.

1 of the 50 Forest Passages.

Wind Boss Room.

Earth Boss Room.

Equipment Shop.

Blizzard

You could use some more junk on the floor in your caves (floor details). You can usually put a lot of stuff there without hindering movement, but it will look a lot better.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Futendra

Quote from: Blizzard on December 30, 2011, 05:27:19 pm
You could use some more junk on the floor in your caves (floor details). You can usually put a lot of stuff there without hindering movement, but it will look a lot better.

Okay :)

mroedesigns

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on December 30, 2011, 01:45:57 pm
Hard to really tell from afar, but for mountain maps, as long as you've been using the small corner-turn mountain tiles in addition to the mountain edges (for esoteric mountain formations), then you're pretty much set.

However, there's one thing that felt odd to me. Look at the map that's third from the left, the horizontal one with its path shaped like a backwards-S (leading into the main center of the mountains). The middle wall of that mountain formation seems a little too thin in comparison to its right. It kind of looks like it's floating.

Otherwise, this is really cool! Nice work!

Ahhh, I see it.. Yeah, that does look a bit strange. Good eye.

If you want I could post a fullsize version of this, but it would be HUGE.

wingish

Going to try and revive this thread :D
Auto tiles have some errors at the moment ;'(

MarkHest

March 19, 2012, 08:53:36 am #393 Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:55:42 am by MarkHest
@Wingish

Looks good :) Just one thing.
I don't know how VX works or if you're even using VX but judging from the style of the tileset i'm going to asume it's VX.

Is it possible to add some dark effects on the green grass in VX?
If it is, maybe you should try and tone out the grass that seems to be following the same color all over the map. Use another autotile with darker grass. Some parts will be light and some parts will be dark, get what i'm saying? :)

Either way, it looks good. A big and lively map :)

Zexion

What do you think of this map?

Is there anything really disgusting about it?

ShadowPierce

As a KH fan, I think the map is pretty good... There are, however a few inaccurate parts like the restaurant on the left is missing and the empty alley behind the accessory shop is supposed to be Cid's shop... The only flaws I found are:

1. Some of the Chain of Memories rips are a bit too small for the map.
2. The trees feel like they don't belong here.
3. One of the circles at the lower-center is only half a circle.
4. The tip of the roof of the ducks' shop is repeated a tile above it.
5. I find the number of circles at the back alley disturbing. :V: Maybe remove two or three of those.

Other than those, there really isn't anything disgusting about it... :P

1161-0627-9890

Heretic86

I've apparently got a weakness for trying to put in natural looking "cracks" into cave systems.

Not going for this image specifically, but what do you guys think of using cracks in the cave walls as a Style in General?
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Zexion

April 02, 2012, 06:15:48 am #397 Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:18:19 am by Zexion
Nice map! I feel that for small maps those cracks are fine, but for a large map, they may be a bit much. Though I really like the cave tileset, and hardly anything could ruin it in my eyes.

@Shadow
Oh and by the way(I've used these tilesets too long..), which rips seem to bee too small? I ask because somethings were ripped from other games recolored and re-sized to look more natural in this tileset.

Vexus

Imo if you don't make cracks in cave walls your just lazy.

I made cracks in my maps too and they make the map look better.
Current Project/s:

ShadowPierce

@Zexy: The trees and the ones from Chain of Memories... :P

@Heretic: Pretty good with the details on the floors... :D I'm just not liking the weird walls... Guess I'm just not that comfortable with new/unorthodox... I'm not really sure if that's a bad thing or not, but either way, I like this map... Just needs a bit more diversity with the details... ;)

1161-0627-9890