Previous topic - Next topic

Landith

Well I do use that but I need one for snow lol  :^_^':

Calintz

...oh sorry, Lol.
I didn't even notice!!

Perhaps I will make an update for it =)

Ryex

January 30, 2009, 11:17:51 pm #62 Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:19:02 pm by Ryexander
I have never had any one critic my maps and need some suggestions on improvement

example of Out doors It is supposed to be a lords castle in the forest valley in the mountains. the blank space behind the castle is a sky panorama. it feels like there is a lot of empty space and I don't know what to do.
Spoiler: ShowHide

Indoors the forth level of the castle above

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Calintz

January 30, 2009, 11:23:14 pm #63 Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:24:36 pm by Calintz16438
Quick notes...
OUTSIDE:
I think you made the map itself too big. You lost track of what you could put where, so you made the huge ass farm. TWO wells...you wouldn't need two wells in real life...

Add some custom tiles to the castle tileset so you can ad more detail to the castle itself, because the plain feeling is just radiating from it...

...I don;t mean to hurt your feelings, but the exterior map is simply constructed very poorly...moats around castles are normally man-made, and therefore wouldn't be jagged like that, but very fine and square in this particular case. Unless of course...that is a junky castle...

My main advice is to make the actual size of the map smaller and start over...

INDOORS:
No problems off the top of my head. Just add more, because it too, is somewhat plain...but still. That indoors map is very nice...

I will look further into this tomorrow...

Ryex

January 30, 2009, 11:33:01 pm #64 Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 01:04:20 am by Ryexander
Quote from: Calintz16438 on January 30, 2009, 11:23:14 pm

...I don;t mean to hurt your feelings, but the exterior map is simply constructed very poorly...moats around castles are normally man-made, and therefore wouldn't be jagged like that, but very fine and square in this particular case. Unless of course...that is a junky castle...

My main advice is to make the actual size of the map smaller and start over...

It IS too square thanks for pointing that out, Lord Marsh's Castle is supposed to be HUGE so I'm not sure about smaller. changing the shape however sounds like a good idea, that of course means redoing the interior to account for shape... there goes several hours of work... I wonder...

how about this interior map? it is supposed to be right below the other interior map. don't mind the bottom left corner It isn't finished

EDIT: I redid the outdoor map is it any better or are they still flaws in the concept. oh and the place where the dummy is overlapped by the wall, ignore that, it is a flaw in the generated image, I'm using a script to create them.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Calintz

Ok, so the new exterior map is beautiful...
Simply add some more flowers in the grass and maybe another tree or two and presto!!

The layout of the interior map is great, but where you put things...terrible.
You have a bed in what seems like the living room and chairs and footrests in the middle of the hallway type room...A set of armor in there too...

Armor would be placed in a bedroom for memorial purposes in Castles or Houses. A sign of valor to it's owner. They wouldn't be strung about willingly, unless the map is a shop. Don't use the RTP default armor in places of importance...

Just be careful and double check things before you actually place them there...Think, would I put this here if it were my house...??

You certainly have potential...utilize it!! and go for the gold!!

Tazero

The problem with rmxp is depth......2d is hard to optomize depth!
Nice map tho i may post one sometime soon

If you were a fish...

reaper72004

May 22, 2009, 06:33:18 am #67 Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 07:13:11 am by reaper72004
Here's an interior I did.. let me know what ya think.

Here's a end part of a cave I did

Here's a town I did.

Blizzard

The cave's good and detailed, but the walls shouldn't be like a square, it looks weird. Check out the mapping tutorial I made to see how I do walls.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

reaper72004

May 22, 2009, 10:16:30 am #69 Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 12:28:15 pm by reaper72004
okie I'll read the tut and see what I can do.

kk I made this after reading your tut and useing your final pic as a reference.

And here's a mockup of the end cave.

Blizzard

Much better. :) I hope you will post the final version of the cave as well.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Sally

its better, but try not to make it in a straight line the cave give it some turns.

the indoor map, imo: theres to much open space, make the whole thing smaller. i havent been in a house thats like that.

lastly the town,
all i can say is that its a good start.

{srry is i was to harsh}

Level++

reaper72004

May 22, 2009, 02:00:55 pm #72 Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 02:26:03 pm by reaper72004
No worries you wasn't harsh.  :) The indoor map was from like a year ago, I just recently started using rmxp again.

Here's a castle I created.

And here's another town.

Sally

castle:
castles usually will have a stone walkway, or something not just grass, and a castle will still call for random trees, this means, trees not on a pattern, and those bushes don't have to be there. if you don't want players to go over there make it a part of the wall.

reaper72004

May 22, 2009, 03:18:40 pm #74 Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 03:37:43 pm by reaper72004
Like this:

Here's that cave I did after the tut.. edited

Sally

castle:
good job, but instead of fountains try one in the center.

cave:
nice... now want a challenge? make a map same tileset as that one, make it 30 by 50. and make floors.

reaper72004

Quote from: Sally on May 22, 2009, 08:29:15 pm
castle:
good job, but instead of fountains try one in the center.

cave:
nice... now want a challenge? make a map same tileset as that one, make it 30 by 50. and make floors.

Sorry took so long for me to reply, been busy. ^^

@castle:
Like this..

@cave: could you possibly post a example so I could have a reference to look at, to see how it's done.

here's another cave:

Calintz

Calintz

No joke ...
It's been a long time since I've seen some gameplay maps that caught my attention. I like the style you use. It's very similar to mine. Keep up the good work.