Mapping Improvement Thread

Started by KRoP, October 25, 2008, 10:24:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

Just practicing in my mapping. I've got no current project except making scripts for a few people's projects.

stripe103

July 10, 2010, 05:23:23 am #261 Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 05:25:23 am by stripe103
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 09, 2010, 05:08:20 pm
Quote from: The Niche on July 09, 2010, 05:06:03 pm
Please provide zoomed in shots. From what I can see, which isn't much, the map looks bare.

*click on pictures*
*archievement unlocked*

Totally right. But since I haven't got any feedback on them, I'm going to post them in their full size.
Woods: ShowHide

Ice Cave: ShowHide

Mountain: ShowHide

Also, on the Ice Cave map I've made a gliding event system so the player glides over the ice and cannot control themselves until they reach either another ground tile or an impassible tile.

The Niche

Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Spaceman McConaughey

ShadowPierce

->Opinions please... :haha:

Spoiler: ShowHide

These are maps I'll use in the upcoming demo of my project... What do you think? :D

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

The Niche

Very nice. That said, in the bottom  right, there's a rock that's displayed above the walls(first shot)

Second shot, the bridge could do with a proper split rather than jjust putting a gap in the middle.

Third shot is epic. In the bottom left, there's a discoloration in the rock which might be due to an event, but I'm not sure and as Branden so kindly pointed out, I'm a lazy dick. The ladder looks odd, I think a staircase might be a good idea. In the bottom centre, you've made the cliff edge overlap a rock, I think. Either way, it's a nice effect.

@Branden: That better?
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

ShadowPierce

->Thanks, that relieved me... So should I level you down or up? :D

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

The Niche

cyclope

Things I Hate

1. People who point at their wrist asking for the time... I know where my watch is pal, where the hell is yours? Do I point at my crotch when I ask where the toilet is?

2. People who are willing to get off their a** to search the entire room for the TV remote because they refuse to walk to the TV and change the channel manually.

3. When people say "Oh you just want to have your cake and eat it too". Damn Right! What good is cake if you can't eat it?

4. When people say "it's always the last place you look". Of course it is. Why the hell would you keep looking after you've found it? Do people do this? Who and where are they?

5. When people say while watching a film, "did ya see that?" No Loser, I paid $12 to come to the cinema and stare at the damn floor!

6. People who ask "Can I ask you a question?"... Didn't give me a choice there, did ya sunshine?

The Niche

At all.
That said, it may help to put edges on the bridge segments so it doesn't look like they just forgot to build the middle. Ps, I love your signature.

cyclope

Things I Hate

1. People who point at their wrist asking for the time... I know where my watch is pal, where the hell is yours? Do I point at my crotch when I ask where the toilet is?

2. People who are willing to get off their a** to search the entire room for the TV remote because they refuse to walk to the TV and change the channel manually.

3. When people say "Oh you just want to have your cake and eat it too". Damn Right! What good is cake if you can't eat it?

4. When people say "it's always the last place you look". Of course it is. Why the hell would you keep looking after you've found it? Do people do this? Who and where are they?

5. When people say while watching a film, "did ya see that?" No Loser, I paid $12 to come to the cinema and stare at the damn floor!

6. People who ask "Can I ask you a question?"... Didn't give me a choice there, did ya sunshine?

Lore

Quote from: cyclope on July 27, 2010, 10:25:42 pm
Opinions...:???:

Kay. Here's your list, since I'm not a lazy dick <3

1. Natural forces like gravity apply to all things. That "bridge" looks like two big random planks and they look like they're balancing on the edge, which is highly unlikely. They look more like they should be falling inside the hole. I'd say either remove them, or extend them a bit more towards the ground to make the weight balance look more like it's actually on the ground rather than should be falling into the abyss.

2. I'm not sure whether your cave here has been touched by people or not, but if it's all natural, there should be no form of a "path". I know you put the darkened earth to act as a guide to the player, but in reality this never exists in untouched caves and actually, even in caves that people tread through they usually never create such a defined path with their feet.

3. The map feels a bit too empty. In an earth cave there should be more rocks, not A LOT, but more than this. Also, the landscape rarely changes, maybe add some water? I mean, water does travel underground as well, and seeing as this cave looks fairly deep underground (You have a bottomless pit going on there), it would make sense to add tiny puddles or streams etching their way in the walls.

4. Take a look at the right bridge segment and literally one cell above it. Do you see the faint black shadow on the corner tile? It looks like a black square shadow and it looks weird. I think you just layered it wrong. Same thing with the cell directly right of it.

5. Towards the middle of the map, you see how you have an upside down V in the wall? You used pure vertical tiling and it cuts off the V, it looks really weird. You have two occurrences of this. One in the middle of the map, and then just a bit left of that by the hole.

Hope this helps.
Facebook is like your fridge. You know nothing is in there, but you check every 5 minutes anyways.

The Niche

@ Lore:
Quote from: The Niche on July 21, 2010, 10:34:23 pm
Very nice. That said, in the bottom  right, there's a rock that's displayed above the walls(first shot)

Second shot, the bridge could do with a proper split rather than jjust putting a gap in the middle.

Third shot is epic. In the bottom left, there's a discoloration in the rock which might be due to an event, but I'm not sure and as Branden so kindly pointed out, I'm a lazy dick. The ladder looks odd, I think a staircase might be a good idea. In the bottom centre, you've made the cliff edge overlap a rock, I think. Either way, it's a nice effect.

@Branden: That better?

@cyclope: Yeah, putting in the path in a level with an obvious entrance and exit like this is an insult to the player's intelligence. I've gotta look out for that, actually. Thanks for that, Lore.

Lore

@Niche: I added "<3" to say I was kidding :P
Facebook is like your fridge. You know nothing is in there, but you check every 5 minutes anyways.

The Niche

I know, I was too. Seriously. I mean it. I'm really not joking. :P

Subsonic_Noise

from game_guy's and mine secret MMO project. Edited tileset ftw.

Lore

I can't comment on custom tilesets because I don't know what's on it, hence I can't give you any suggestions :P
Looks decent though.

G_G

ew jpeg
Who's project is this :V

The Niche

Quote from: Shiny Magikarp on August 02, 2010, 04:46:42 pm

That upper room might be a little cramped? Other than that, it's pretty good.

OracleGames

Quote from: The Niche on August 02, 2010, 05:14:09 pm
Quote from: Shiny Magikarp on August 02, 2010, 04:46:42 pm

That upper room might be a little cramped? Other than that, it's pretty good.

*I would remove the Pc and box thing between the lights.
*2 extinguishers in the same vertical row looks a little out of place xD a pot or trash bin would look better.
*I would move the south door a little to the left

What do you think of this church?

F1

F2

Attic thing