Mapping Improvement Thread

Started by KRoP, October 25, 2008, 10:24:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fthmdg

September 28, 2010, 07:31:07 pm #280 Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 07:33:09 pm by fthmdg
The church looks pretty good! One thing I would change is on F1, the pews aren't facing anything.  I think you could at least put a cross or something on the wall maybe? Other than that I like them though!

Mapping is definitely one of my weakpoints, so I figured I'd start mapping more while I'm working on the storyline!
Here are 3 RTP maps, none of which are connected or related. Just random maps to practice.

Tower
Spoiler: ShowHide

Castle

Forest

This one is my favorite of the three.

Also, ignore the little portals. That's just how I get from map to map to take screenshots :p

Markchapman10

September 29, 2010, 10:19:14 pm #281 Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 10:39:13 pm by Markchapman10
 Hey, im not sure if this is in the write place, but i want to hear your feedback on this map. I have worked all day on it when ever i get free time. This is kinda like a a shrine. but im wanting ANY type of feedback.

cyclope

Quote from: Markchapman10 on September 29, 2010, 10:19:14 pm
Hey, im not sure if this is in the write place, but i want to hear your feedback on this map. I have worked all day on it when ever i get free time. This is kinda like a a shrine. but im wanting ANY type of feedback.

Bushes and rocks in the walls?
Things I Hate

1. People who point at their wrist asking for the time... I know where my watch is pal, where the hell is yours? Do I point at my crotch when I ask where the toilet is?

2. People who are willing to get off their a** to search the entire room for the TV remote because they refuse to walk to the TV and change the channel manually.

3. When people say "Oh you just want to have your cake and eat it too". Damn Right! What good is cake if you can't eat it?

4. When people say "it's always the last place you look". Of course it is. Why the hell would you keep looking after you've found it? Do people do this? Who and where are they?

5. When people say while watching a film, "did ya see that?" No Loser, I paid $12 to come to the cinema and stare at the damn floor!

6. People who ask "Can I ask you a question?"... Didn't give me a choice there, did ya sunshine?

stripe103

I agree with cyclope. Or at least, don't have that much of them on the walls. I mean, some small cliffs here and there on the walls with plants on them are ok, but not that many. I think at least.

fthmdg

Did anyone take a glance at the maps I posted?

stripe103

October 01, 2010, 03:44:07 pm #285 Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 04:13:38 pm by stripe103
Yea I did and I think they are pretty good. But I think you can put more details into them. Specially the forest map. You haven't used the long grass tiles and there are some mapping errors. But otherwise they are pretty good.

EDIT:
Thought it was long time since I really mapped anything so here are two maps from me.
Savanne: ShowHide

Winter: ShowHide

Blizzard

The coloring of the tileset in the first map is great. It's custom work I assume.

I also like the second map. It has lots of detail and a natural randomness about it.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

stripe103

Quote from: Blizzard on October 02, 2010, 05:41:20 am
The coloring of the tileset in the first map is great. It's custom work I assume.

Totally right. It is the Savanne tileset by mack(I think his name is spelled).

Quote from: Blizzard on October 02, 2010, 05:41:20 am
I also like the second map. It has lots of detail and a natural randomness about it.

Thanks, I like random maps. :D Specially if it is nature mapping.

Subsonic_Noise

The attachments are for remexos and remexos only. Just saying.

Calintz

What I don't like about your indoor maps (and basically everyone's indoor maps) is that the members here like to place the rooms all over the place. It isn't a bad thing necessarily (it gets the job done), but when a building is created by man; it's normally done in a room adjacent manner...What I mean, is that the walls of houses (especially kingdoms and castles because they were meant to house people of importance) are normally adjacent at all sides (I know they aren't always). This helps to create a lot of space while maintaining good aesthetics. Adjacent rooms really improve the "craftsmanship" of the building in my eyes.

stripe103

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on October 02, 2010, 01:37:13 pm

Yea I know, it is just that it is easier to just attach it than uploading it somewhere else so I keep forgetting.
Anyway. Fixed.

Ryex

Quote from: stripe103 on October 02, 2010, 04:14:31 pm
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on October 02, 2010, 01:37:13 pm

Yea I know, it is just that it is easier to just attach it than uploading it somewhere else so I keep forgetting.
Anyway. Fixed.

easier or not didn't do it, only remexos teem embers can see that so thats a problem too
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Taiine

A (not very) small cave. I wanted to practice with the walls a bit and refresh myself before diving into the caves for my game.

My personal Cave Rule of Thumbs:
* Never have a wall be more then 3 straight tiles long, including diagonal.
* Avoid making things to round/square/symmetrical.
* Be weary of making paths 1 tile wide, don't make a whole long pathway of such. Mine are typically 1, MAYBE 2 tiles long.
* There are alternate wall tiles, use to bake up the 'repeating' look on walls but don't over use them.
* If you can't see the corner tiles well enough to place them with the set your using, switch to another that's easier to see then switch back.
I had to do that on this for the ledges, the corner tiles for them are hard to see, switching to the lava cave set had wider corners and allowed me to see what tile went to what corner.

Landith

The design of the cave is really good, but it's so plain :O
I would add some extra stuff on the floor, on the wall, or even events that can be interacted with like traps and such.
Caves are so boring to explore in most RPGs so I suggest take it up a notch ;D

But the design really is great, except there is no way out besides the way you came in. I suggest adding another cave added on or even a different exit that rewards the player with a chest for going all the way through or even a boss battle that gives you a rare item when you beat it. So far I see no reason to even explore the cave and it would make me rage going through all that for nothing. Unless of course you plan for it to have something to do with the storyline or some sort.
(Of course I know it's just a practice map but the best ways to practice mapping is going the whole 100% even if your just working on the walls) ;D

Overall though, I give it a 7.5/10 for lack of details.

Calintz

That is a gorgeous map!
I would assume that because of how barren it is that it's incomplete.

I don't think you need another room for that cave personally, and I wouldn't include that as part of my critique, because that really goes into personal opinions. A small one room cave can accomplish many things in a game, and not every dungeon needs to be a workout. Example...If you're on a quest to gather so many of a certain item, then this map is flawless. Just litter some of that item all over the place, and not only would it add some of the floor detail that I feel is lacking, but it would help the cave serve a purpose. You have to critique the map for what it is, not what you think a cave should include (None of us are professionals).

That said...my only objection is how barren it is. No floor details. That is all it lacks in my opinion.
Even so, The sheer design keeps my eyes moving, and retains my attention. I'd credit you a nine out of ten for a map like that.

I think you did a fantastic job!
-Calintz-

Taiine

Yeah as I said, I was working on practicing with the walls, getting use to how to lay them out again, a refresher if you will, not so much focusing on the smaller details. This isn't really apart of any game, though I am tempted to paste it into my game as it would work for one area where you are tracking down one mob that has stolen an item from someone and you're sent to retrieve it.  If I do that yeah there would be more details added, though it be switched to my own rocky tileset then this water one :3

Still thanks for the comments :3

Calintz

See!? That's a better idea than collecting items in the cave. Single room caves are just fine, and the size and design of that map is perfect for little quests like that. Again, I say nine out of ten bud.

Landith

Woah, I was giving suggestions for what he could make in his game not critiquing on that particular map alone :P
The critiquing was the short paragraph in the beginning. How I was saying he should add more details or even traps to take up some space etc...
The whole part of me talking about how I suggested him to add an exit, a prize or a boss was just that, a suggestion. But I did leave a 'unless...etc' to cover his excuse to leave it as plain as it was. I didn't judge my score on what I would want in the map but on what his expectations for that particular map was and what he left out. The small details are very significant no matter how small they are. Imagine a city with just buildings and they were all the same color and no details like trees or bushes, that would seem a bit odd would it not? That's kinda what I'm comparing it to because of the amount of details. But you misunderstood me, I like the map I was just giving suggestions on what he could add into it when he makes maps for his game as he mentioned he was just practicing the walls. Hence why I put the:
Quote from: Landith on October 05, 2010, 11:11:31 pm
(Of course I know it's just a practice map but the best ways to practice mapping is going the whole 100% even if your just working on the walls) ;D

I understand what your saying as I wasn't really specific in what I was saying.

Basically what I was trying to say is in the first paragraph section. The second paragraph was just me rambling, kinda like the one above ^^
I understand what your saying Cal, but really it was more of a suggestion than a thing you need for your game like details.
Which is why I gave him a 7.5/10 instead of a higher number. I 'graded' it if you will, like this:
Caves-
:Design - 4:4
:Details - 3:0.5
:Levels - 2:2
:Errors - 1:1
(Btw, that's part of my old mapping text I made for my old games that I was working on so I judge my maps based on a certain criteria based on what type of map it is)

Hope I don't come off as an ass or anything, was just trying to explain my reasoning for things (:
He put some detail into it but not enough to nearly be 'accepted' as a 10 map

Taiine

I'm a girl btw XD

I understand what you mean, it was just a random cave to test my skill with the walls. I only added the pebbles and such for the heck of it. ^^; Though now that I chose that yeah, it will be added to my game, it will have the more details and such added to it, though it'll be with my own custom tileset (so no point adding them to this map ^^; ) even so it still wont be much more then you see (aside added details), no extra rooms, as it would be meant as a lower level/starter cave thing with a simple quest. Harder and maulti map ones def be in the future. :3

Calintz

@Landith:
I got you. I didn't think you came off as an ass. I just think that personally he did a very good job on placing details on the map considering it's a cave. I mean, in real life...there isn't much lying around the place in caves (I've gone to spelunkering twice myself). The design of the map itself is very detailed and flawless, and that particular tileset probably doesn't have a very high number of extra "detailing" tiles that she can place without crowding the map with the same object.

I, of course; being a spriter, believe aesthetics are number one when it comes to creating user appealing games, but at the same time aesthetics are just that...irrelevant effects that make your game look pretty, so I don't place much value on the nitty gritty details when it comes to grading a map.

I would grade it more so like this:
Design: 5:5
Details: 1:2
Levels: 2:2
Errors: 1:1

LOL, but enough of this!
This reply has gone on longer than intended and I've become sidetracked! LOL, back to work for me, haha.