Mapping Improvement Thread

Started by KRoP, October 25, 2008, 10:24:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiine

Another cave system for my game. Went light on the objects as I haven't yet decided how I want to edit the tileset and what to add to it to give more... stuff to place sense the default cave tilesets are so.... lacking.
I actually drew out the layout for this cave in my sketch pad while waiting for my moms doc appointment. xD

Spoiler: ShowHide

This will have extra cave systems that will be blocked at the start, but the player will be able to pass later on once they have a means of getting through the rubble. (BOMB! mwahaha)
Haven't yet added the smaller room to the big black void space at the top (so not wasting map space)

WhiteRose

Quote from: Taiine on November 20, 2010, 11:14:47 pm
Another cave system for my game. Went light on the objects as I haven't yet decided how I want to edit the tileset and what to add to it to give more... stuff to place sense the default cave tilesets are so.... lacking.
I actually drew out the layout for this cave in my sketch pad while waiting for my moms doc appointment. xD

This will have extra cave systems that will be blocked at the start, but the player will be able to pass later on once they have a means of getting through the rubble. (BOMB! mwahaha)
Haven't yet added the smaller room to the big black void space at the top (so not wasting map space)

Not bad. It'll definitely look better once you put all of the objects in there. As for wasting map space, I wouldn't worry about it. You have virtually unlimited map space; never once have a seen a project that had too many maps.

Blizzard

Lol, that reminds me when the people at RMRK were complaining about CP being 80 MB and one guy was like "Was it really necessary to make over 800 maps?". I mean, what kind of a question is that? It's like asking why I have 7 characters that join your party during the normal course of the game. Or like asking why I have bosses in the game. -_-
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Taiine

It's just the way I do thing's. Plus I like to keep extra smaller rooms on the same map is there is space to put them rather then making a new map for them.

stripe103

January 09, 2011, 11:54:23 am #324 Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:59:29 am by stripe103
To keep the thread going, I'm going to post another of my maps.
This one took about 30 minutes to make.
Image size 1600 x 1600 pixles

EDIT: I'm having the round water tile on it, I just forgot it before making the image. And I don't want to make it again.

The Niche

Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

stripe103

G_G

Quote from: Blizzard on November 21, 2010, 05:29:47 am
Lol, that reminds me when the people at RMRK were complaining about CP being 80 MB and one guy was like "Was it really necessary to make over 800 maps?". I mean, what kind of a question is that? It's like asking why I have 7 characters that join your party during the normal course of the game. Or like asking why I have bosses in the game. -_-

:rofl: 80mb for CP was well damn worth it. The game was just as large as some popular FF games. (Referring to story, adventure, etc..) But the size difference is just epic. CP wins.

stripe103

No other comments about my map?  :???:
Then that must mean you like it, or didn't want to open the thread...

Starrodkirby86

Nice map~

Just some suggestions here. Take it as you will.

So, hmm, let's look at some areas of interest.

A) Do those tree shadows on the water bother you? I don't know if it's incorrect mapping or not, but I'm just pointing it out, in case it might be something that's actually distracting or not.

B) Now let's look at those half-cliff tiles. Which one looks better to you? The left one, which has that tiny clip tile included, or the right one, which only has the cliffs?

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

stripe103

A) Well, a bit. To make it look really good there should be some kind of tiles with special shadows so that you can make them go down a bit so it don't look like they are floating above the water.

B) The left of course. I usually map it like that, but I don't know why I didn't this time. Then again, I haven't mapped anything in the past month so I guess I kinda forgot it.

Wizered67

Here is my first map trying out the inquisitor's tileset. My observations is that the map is really empty and the castle is way too rectangular. I'd appreciate some feedback on what I can improve on.

Starrodkirby86

A castle's a pretty prideful and epic place to be at, right?

So, naturally, we should probably have one marvelous courtyard. That's my instant thought of improvement, anyway... You can add some special designs or something aesthetically appealing to make the castle courtyard lush, beautiful, or something that the owner of the castle would be proud to show off.

Having various flora and maybe some logical water source might help. What do you think?

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Wizered67

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I'll work on improving it later.

AliveDrive

This is a basic small/medium cave map.
Cave Map: ShowHide

...and this is what it looks like in game.
Lighter Cave: ShowHide

...and this is it just a touch darker.
Darker Cave: ShowHide

I'd like some feedback on the map/lighting. In my opinion I like a cave to be as dark as practical.

Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

The Niche

The operative word there is practical. Obviously you're aware of that, but I thought I'd mention on the off-chance that some of the internet's resident idiots actually read these threads.

The map there is very very nice. To make sure I remember the common sense principle SRK just used, I'll try and apply it to your map.

I'm not sure about the length of that ladder, for one thing. Even if you've just descended an ear-poppingly huge distance, I think it should end a little closer to wall. Next, the light around the ladder is a brilliant idea, congratulations. I can see you've put some thought into your fungus arrangement too, as the green stuff is closest to the light. Well done on that.

There's some cobble stones there at the bottom though. Why? Truly, why?  :???:
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

AliveDrive

I'm asking though do YOU think it's too dark/light?

The ladder is not touching the way, so it is hanging what I would estimate to be about 20 feet down, not unreasonable for a cave.

Light = :D

Grass by light = Double :D

Not noticing my mistakes = :( Come on now. You can do better :V:

Well tbh I really think the cobblestone just looks more like stones that are scattered about randomly. I may change them back to dirt.

Thank you for the thorough review!

The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

The Niche

Actually just noticed. The darker map is soooo much better. But yeah. The cobblestones don't look random. They look random. If that makes any sense. Which it almost certainly doesn't.

AliveDrive

The cobblestones will be removed due to their randomness and also due to their randomness.

There are 6 mistakes 4 of which are corner pieces I missed :P

The Niche

Ah yes but Niche is lazy and doesn't notice such trivialities. YOU DID WHAT?!