Mapping Improvement Thread

Started by KRoP, October 25, 2008, 10:24:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Shin Migumi

Quote from: Bradley_Theory on May 01, 2011, 05:55:55 am
Thanks dude! Show some of your maps then, I'm curious. :P

Well since i'm completly re-doing my project, I only have old screenies from about a year ago  :facepalm:. nonetheless, here are a few.

here's an old one back when my project was using GubiD's tactical battle system.
Spoiler: ShowHide

this was one from a scene where the narrator tells various events that happened so far with the main character.

oh yea...I totally decapitated a chick in a church (no ESRB rating, take that Mortal Kombat)

SilverShadow737

Here's a map of a snow mountain I made.

:O.o:
Ginyu Force Rules

Spaceman McConaughey

I like it! Although, it could use a lot more ground and cliff detail, and way less repetition in the rocks at the edge of the map.

Regardless, I like it.

SilverShadow737

Thanks, Tuggernuts.
Yeah, I added some patches of ice here and there, but it's hard to do much ground detail with snow because there's not much that goes on in the snow.
I did trade the rocks in the lower right corner for another ridge and it does look much better.
As for the cliff detail, I threw some snowwy patches onto the walls and such, but I'm too lazy to make the cliffs varied while also keeping the map functional so I think I"ll just skip that.

Overall thanks for the input.
Ginyu Force Rules

mroedesigns

Meh, I'm not that good at mapping. Here's my attempt at a big (50x50) mountain map

Blizzard

That map reminds me quite a bit of Zelda III. It could use some more floor details, though. Add a bunch of rocks here and there, etc.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

mroedesigns

Added more details to the rocks and other various things. Also added a goblin encampment / cave for part of a quest.

Blizzard

It looks a bit better now, but you can still add more stuff. Don't be shy to add lots of stuff, just make sure you can walk properly and don't have just small and narrow passages.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

AliveDrive

I think I learned this trick from Blizzard (it's statistically probable).

Never have a wall go more than 3 tiles in any one direction. For example instead of ------ you could try ---__-- in order to give it a more natural feel.

The same goes for diagonal lines.

As for clutter and objects, if you're having trouble try to make the map smaller without sacrificing maneuverability to make it appear more full.

Looks really good though! :)
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

SilverShadow737

mroe, that part in the upper center of your map doesn't make sense, the wall gets larger without getting higher, it looks weird.
Ginyu Force Rules

mroedesigns

AliveDrive

I think I know what he's talking about.

I think it is done correctly, if it is supposed to be a ledge that juts out from the cliff.
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

ShadowPierce

->This is what I've come up with so far... I'm really having a hard time mapping cities, so please point out flaws, etc... (I know, it lacks detail. I'll add it a bit later) :P

BTW, I don't know how to post zoomed in maps without the grid lines like the other screenies... If anyone knows how, please tell me...  :haha:

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

Ryex

that's looks pretty good. you can improve it by adding more things to the ground to make it look more cluttered like a real city would crates, potted plants, benches ect.

as for your other question but it in the edit mode for the third layer and turn off the option to dim other layers in the options menu.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

AliveDrive

Yeah this is a good city map.

One thing I do to add clutter to cities is add events for a 4th layer.

Another simple solution is to use 200Support-008 and use the crates since they fit in almost anywhere.

SilverShadow737

September 12, 2011, 05:14:34 pm #375 Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 05:15:54 pm by SilverShadow737
Quote from: mroedesigns on September 11, 2011, 04:28:10 pm
Where at? I'm not seeing it

Just above the upper ledge that has a horizontal log on it.
Ginyu Force Rules

mroedesigns

Ahh, I see it. It's just the way the ledge is coming out, it's supposed to be like that.

ShadowPierce

->Update:

It's supposed to be the residential area for a country's capital city... Is it too small? If it is, should I make it bigger, or just add another map where it's still another residential area? This one's the only city that's going to be included in my demo, but I'm already planning a bit for the full game...  :haha:

BTW, the full game is supposed to be at least 12-20 hours long... (Just mentioning, just in case it's gonna affect the map size :P )

Replies? :3

Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
1161-0627-9890

G_G

Looks pretty good. Better than anything I could do. Though those table chairs shouldn't be on top of the table. *points to fountain*

ShadowPierce

->Any comments about the size? :3

1161-0627-9890