Mapping Improvement Thread

Started by KRoP, October 25, 2008, 10:24:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

reaper72004

Quote from: Calintz16438 on May 26, 2009, 09:47:35 pm
No joke ...
It's been a long time since I've seen some gameplay maps that caught my attention. I like the style you use. It's very similar to mine. Keep up the good work.

:)

Here's another cave:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Calintz

reaper72004

May 26, 2009, 11:41:06 pm #82 Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:07:04 am by reaper72004
Quote from: Calintz16438 on May 26, 2009, 11:37:48 pm
Do you use 8-directions??

Yeah I have it, ^^

Here's a edit of the last cave I did.

Calintz

reaper72004

Last edit of this cave.. I think.  :)

Blizzard

May 27, 2009, 08:01:39 am #85 Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 08:04:20 am by Blizzard
Nice.

EDIT: :3

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Dragon X

Woah awesome o.o I'm picking up tips here, some of my maps are still square but its mainly because they arn't finished because I'm trying to make as much of the story as possible then going back to re edit the maps.

Small picy of the first castle town main square.

See? although it's much bigger, I also need to edit the edges of the tower to make it more rounded in accorandce to the actual walls. =/
Well I'll put something in here eventualy.

reaper72004

Starrodkirby86

Dragon X:

Your map is reminiscent of many newbies' RMXP things. A few things I have to comment on:

• Your map is terribly square. Many towns are definitely not that linear or 'cookie-cutter'. It's not like the people who founded the town went, "Hey, this is all flat land! We can build it perfectly!" No, the location of it probably has all sorts of terrain that the builders would have to go around.
  • The houses are dull. They're nearly the exact same thing. I don't have the tileset readily available with me, but I'm sure you can add more of a shape with it. Again, not all houses are just xx rows at something like that...I suppose. And all of them don't need the same stuff...(Unless this is a Communist town...)
  • You have an interesting design on some areas at least. Good for you on that...Just think what creative areas you can put so it'll be spiced up.
  • Many newbie maps are terribly empty. In the real world, space isn't something that is so available, especially in bustling areas. Don't make them so largely empty. :o
  • This is just a minor thing, but I don't think the dark stone tile is used for that. Doesn't matter though...I guess.

Keep working on it though~ :) I find it easier to actually just map or diagram some basic thing out and go for it...If I ever go back on the editor...It's a little bit difficult when you have the stuff down and there's some maps you have to mangle and manage through.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

reaper72004

Here's another part of the cave.

Ryex

look good except the exit on the left doesn't look passable as there is a wall piece underneath the ceiling wall piece..
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

reaper72004

May 29, 2009, 01:35:14 am #91 Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 01:52:41 am by reaper72004
... Thx I should've seen that lol. :P
Okie.. fixed:

And another part:

Sally

very good reaper, you really are improving!

reaper72004

May 29, 2009, 08:08:35 am #93 Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:21:05 pm by reaper72004
 :) Ty I got a couple more cave rooms to make, Then I'm gonna start improving on my indoor mapping. :D

Dragon X

Quote from: Curly Brace (SRK86) on May 27, 2009, 07:07:48 pm
Dragon X:

Your map is reminiscent of many newbies' RMXP things. A few things I have to comment on:

• Your map is terribly square. Many towns are definitely not that linear or 'cookie-cutter'. It's not like the people who founded the town went, "Hey, this is all flat land! We can build it perfectly!" No, the location of it probably has all sorts of terrain that the builders would have to go around.
  • The houses are dull. They're nearly the exact same thing. I don't have the tileset readily available with me, but I'm sure you can add more of a shape with it. Again, not all houses are just xx rows at something like that...I suppose. And all of them don't need the same stuff...(Unless this is a Communist town...)
  • You have an interesting design on some areas at least. Good for you on that...Just think what creative areas you can put so it'll be spiced up.
  • Many newbie maps are terribly empty. In the real world, space isn't something that is so available, especially in bustling areas. Don't make them so largely empty. :o
  • This is just a minor thing, but I don't think the dark stone tile is used for that. Doesn't matter though...I guess.

Keep working on it though~ :) I find it easier to actually just map or diagram some basic thing out and go for it...If I ever go back on the editor...It's a little bit difficult when you have the stuff down and there's some maps you have to mangle and manage through.

Yeah I know that was a very early map though I never ever finished the town, when making part of the world map its intently cluttered with random trees and plants and animals wandering around, so much so I had to install the anti lag script D: it also has random cliff formations and stuff and was my best map. That map I showed was like the 3rd map I made when making the game and I'm gonna improve it, also it doesn't show the crowds of people events that I added in later on.
Well I'll put something in here eventualy.

reaper72004

May 29, 2009, 02:21:41 pm #95 Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 05:13:12 pm by reaper72004
Here's another cave:  :)

There's a piece of the wall missing on the bottom left.. just seen it lol

And another piece of the cave:

Calintz

So your maps are pretty amazing, I'm not gonna lie.

reaper72004

Calintz

There is really only one suggestion I can make to help you improve on your caves.

Along the bottom line of the cave(where if the player stood, you would only see half of him) you never place any objects. Use two-tile map pieces here and there along that line.

reaper72004

May 29, 2009, 08:38:09 pm #99 Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 09:31:42 am by reaper72004
Quote from: Calintz16438 on May 29, 2009, 07:19:47 pm
Use two-tile map pieces here and there along that line.

:???: I didn't understand that. ^^

Here's the boss part of the cave don't think I'm done with it though :P :

Here's the last part of the cave:

Before reading tut on on the indoor shop:

After reading: