Mapping Improvement Thread

Started by KRoP, October 25, 2008, 10:24:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkaea Halfdemon

Alright. Indoor mapping time. Feel free to criticize as harshly as you know how :P. I need to get better at this.

Spoiler: ShowHide

^^

Sally

First map is awesome, just 2things.
   1: To many carpets.
   2: The fireplace is usually at the and of houses, but if you like it in the middle of the building.

2nd map,
   1: is every, open. make it smaller
   2: the sword and shield, are usually not in normal peoples houses.
   3: the tiles after your walls looks strange like that.
   4: and if its, the first floor of the first map, there shouldnt be another Fire place...

3rd map:
   1: is it a kitchen? a closet what? i cant tell.

4th map:
   1:the top of the book shelf thing is out of place.
   2: the fire place thing is not a full fire place...

Arkaea Halfdemon

1. Alright. 2. A fireplace in the middle warms the entire house better than one in the middle :P.
1.  It's a main room. There's usually a bit of open room. 2. The father is a former soldier. 3. True. I'll add autotiles. 4. I've seen places in the world where there's two fireplaces... Medieval places need them even more, too, because of lack of heating.
1. A kitchen/store room.
1. Oops. 2. Alrighty.

Blizzard

One thing I have to notice about the first map are the stairs. The practically go into the wall. o.o; You might wanna fix that.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Arkaea Halfdemon

The first map? The stairs go right through the floor :P.

I'll assume you mean the second/fourth ones. I did the stairs like that on purpose because it looks real neat when you go up them... They're pretty realistic, too, because the autotiles cover the character's head, making him look like he's going though to ceiling, to the next floor, like real stairs.

Anyways, city mapping time. Still open to critique on previous maps, though, for sure.

Note: The city is still very incomplete. I only have 4/9 drawn, and 3/9 drawn completely(while only one house has an interior... XD map-lazy, eh?). It's supposed to be like a 3x3 grid, in the end.

Altgard City

Area 1

Aea 2

Area 3

So yeah, there we have... part of ... it. I don't want to get too far, just in case my city maps suck. :P.

Blizzard

You definitely need some more floor details on the grass and probably the walls as well.
Also, don't use those black tiles for wall tops. It looks like it's an interior that way. Try to use a different autotile for that.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Arkaea Halfdemon

Your lamps look like they're about to fall into the water :P.

Thanks for the input. I'm guessing my layout looks professional enough, so I can keep up the pattern. Looks like all I'll need to do is put in an extra round for refining after I'm done.

... And I am not lookin' forward to doing the Royal City. Altgard is 9 sectors, but the Royal City is going to be 25. It'll make for a breathtaking experience... awe-inspiring, I hope... Though, finding a good tileset for a great white city may be interesting. Before I try, though, I'll have to brush up on my castle-making skills. Altgard may have a fortress, but it's not graceful like I want the Royal City's castle to be.

Thanks again  :)

Blizzard

Quote from: Arkaea Halfdemon on June 21, 2009, 08:40:52 am

That's concrete on their bottom and they are straight, not slanted. Just standing next to water doesn't make you fall into it. :P

Thanks for the input. I'm guessing my layout looks professional enough, so I can keep up the pattern. Looks like all I'll need to do is put in an extra round for refining after I'm done.

Yeah, the basic layout looks fine. Just fix what I said and it will definitely look much better. xD

Arkaea Halfdemon

Quote from: Blizzard on June 21, 2009, 09:09:34 am

That's concrete on their bottom and they are straight, not slanted. Just standing next to water doesn't make you fall into it. :P

[smartass]Save for the occasional random quantum physics screwup.[/smartass]

*goes back to thinking up two dozen class names for a newly acquired class change sys*

fugibo

Quote from: Arkaea Halfdemon on June 21, 2009, 09:26:11 am
Quote from: Blizzard on June 21, 2009, 09:09:34 am

[smartass]Save for the occasional random quantum physics screwup.[/smartass]

*goes back to thinking up two dozen class names for a newly acquired class change sys*

Yeah, but AHD's point is that the concrete base is hanging halfway off the ledge. Also, it's sitting on top of the curb-thingy (tired today, can't think of the word), which makes no sense at all. Fail.

And Quantum Physics don't cause things to fall. Well, it's plausible, and they might indirectly, but it's INCREDIBLY unlikely, to the point where you'd half to fill half a thousand semi-impossible requirements.

Sally

June 22, 2009, 10:28:28 am #150 Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 10:32:19 am by Sally
First: ShowHide

Remake: ShowHide

Comments, please.

Valcos

WOW... nice improvement! Looks alot better then before :haha:
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

Sally

thanks, the first one was an old and outdated  map i made befor i started my project. it was one of those maps i practiced on...

Ryex

June 28, 2009, 11:28:38 pm #153 Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 11:35:48 pm by Ryexander
I was hopping to get input on these two maps

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Calintz

The spoiler isn't opening for me.

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Calintz

Well the 1st one is getting better than before, but I wouldn't say it's there just yet. Try moving your desk down to match the wall, and place another one in the corner right above it to the left of the window.

Make the entire map itself smaller, because there is way too much free space, and it isn't very symmetrical. Houses that were built usually have symmetrical features, and the same can be said when designing them. To make it look more realistic, make it more symmetrical.

Ryex

ok thanks! do you have any input on the over world map?

Calintz

Well, is that the entire world map, or just a portion??

Ryex

portion, but that's the entire map why should I expand and add to the edges?