Mapping Improvement Thread

Started by KRoP, October 25, 2008, 10:24:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Calintz

An overworld map is usually one BIG map, not a bunch of overworld maps that are connected by the teleport feature.
That would be my first suggestion. Second, nature is wild, and mountains normally follow a chain or a line, and don't grow all over the place like you have there. Your mountains make a puzzle of sorts, and most mountains chains have a valley that you could get stuck in with only two exits, or maybe a secret exit somewhere. Your mountains just seem to roam way too freely to be realistic.

Aqua

June 30, 2009, 06:00:20 pm #161 Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:14:49 pm by Aqua
Eep!  I need a lot of help with this map >.<
Warning! 1600x480px file: ShowHide

Also note that the only point of this map (for now) is for a cutscene that goes by pretty quickly.
Probably like 30-45 seconds on the map including reading text time.

Edit:
With my current cutscene, this map is only visible for 10 seconds! XD

Blizzard

Wow, that's an amazing 1 minute job. But I'd still rather spend 20 minutes and have it done very well instead. :/
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

dylanf3

Spoiler: ShowHide

Hows this? its like the first screen you see in my game called Sanu Ferrus

Aqua

Quote from: Blizzard on June 30, 2009, 06:24:59 pm
Wow, that's an amazing 1 minute job. But I'd still rather spend 20 minutes and have it done very well instead. :/

I didn't say it took me 1 minute :P
I said that the map is shown for less than a minute.

It actually took me like... 10 XD
And that's why I need help improving it

Musicmuse

Dylanf3:  I really like the overall feel of the map, but there are a couple of things you may want to consider.

The middle waterfall is longer than the other two, yet there is no elevation change to support it.

Where are the stairs leading to?  If someone took the time to carve stairs into a mountainside, they should lead to something.  If you're looking for a more natural look, you could always use the sloped grassy walkway tile instead of a stair tile.  Perhaps you know where it leads to, though, in which case disregard this comment.

Lastly, some more natural elements of nature are parallel to each other (the two stumps on the top left and the rock piles across the top).   I think because you did such a nice job of rounding the water line, these other tiles stick out as feeling "unnatural" when in a straight line.

A very nice start, though, in my opinion.  Good mix of trees and an interesting layout visually.

Aqua, what are you using this scene for?  I would imagine a chase scene of some sort based on the layout, but perhaps by knowing what you're trying to accomplish during the scene, we could provide more helpful feedback.

dylanf3

June 30, 2009, 07:49:05 pm #166 Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 08:01:46 pm by Aqua
You actually helped me out on a few things, mainly, that it doesnt lead anywhere, and what i did wrong, in the playable part, you can get to this map too, but then there is a mountain that u can climb that isnt here now, so i edited that and the other map as well :D

The only change in the other map, is the wooden log, that one has been cleared

Spoiler that thing!!!
~Aqua

Aqua

dylanf3

Heres a map i really HATE, but ppl say its nice, i want critics

Musicmuse

Aqua: Well, the scene is pretty short, so I wouldn't be overly worried about cramming in details (especially if the cutscene is mostly the player reading messages).

I would pay attention to the overall shape, though.  The map is very long and straight, and I think you could add more visual interest by varying the mountain bottom a bit more.  It just seems "blocky" to me.  A variance of trees might help, too.

The path is also a bit jarring.  If this is a well-travelled road between major cities or towns, then it's appropriate; if this map is more rural, perhaps you should consider leaving a break in the path or adding slightly overgrown places.

There's also a section at the bottom of your map that has a caved-in entrance.  You used a "mountain top" tile next to the caved-in tile (to make the land coming out of the side of the mountain), and it looks a bit out of place.  Try using a side tile or regular grass tile on the first layer and then a "mountain bottom" tile on the second level to give the illusion that the new level is coming out of the side of the mountain rather (rather than looking like it's on the same level).

dylanf3: First off, ask yourself what YOU hate about the map and change it.  I wouldn't present a map I was unhappy with, and I think it's always more important to feel personally satisfied with a project rather than put out something to satisfy other people.

Suggestions I have for the map are kind of similar as before.

Think about the map using realistic terms.  The path is very defined.  Is this a hideout for someone (or a group of people)?  If the only things inhabiting the cave are monsters, then I doubt they'd have made a nice path leading the Hero conveniently to the exits.  Part of the the fun of field maps is letting the Hero explore and find the right path on their own.

I will say, though, the the cave seems inhabited since there are again bridges (like the steps) the seem to lead to nowhere important.  If the only purpose these bridges serve is to let the Hero fight the monsters, I'd consider editing them out.  Wolves don't build bridges to wait for a Hero to come batle them.  Don't be afraid to have areas of a map be inaccessible (or not easily accessible).

Hope this helps!

Aqua

July 01, 2009, 02:38:39 am #170 Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 03:00:57 pm by Aqua
Thanks for the input :)

I can't use different trees other than what I have because I don't wish to add a custom tileset to my game, since I'm under a certain size limit.

Edit:
How about this one? =3

Starrodkirby86

July 01, 2009, 02:59:37 pm #171 Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 03:05:18 pm by Starrodkirby86
QuoteI can't use different trees other than what I have because I don't wish too add a custom tileset to my game, since I'm under a certain size limit.

Excuse me?

QuoteI can't use different trees other than what I have because I don't wish too add a custom tileset to my game, since I'm under a certain size limit.

O.O

F--------------

A bit empty and square looking...That's pretty much one complaint I see right away. Other than that, not too bad.

EDIT: YOU CAN'T SAVE YOURSELF WITH THAT EDIT :V

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Aqua on July 01, 2009, 02:38:39 am
Thanks for the input :)

I can't use different trees other than what I have because I don't wish to add a custom tileset to my game, since I'm under a certain size limit.

Edit:
How about this one? =3

Looks good, :D try to add some flowers perhaps.
But, please, use the round water tileset. That square one just is ugly.

G_G

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on July 01, 2009, 02:59:37 pm

Excuse me?

O.O

F--------------

A bit empty and square looking...That's pretty much one complaint I see right away. Other than that, not too bad.

Someones being a grammer freak  :roll:

Subsonic_Noise

July 01, 2009, 03:14:07 pm #174 Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 03:34:37 pm by Subsonic_Noise
So, here is one of my maps from the game "Dystopia"

Please criticize.  :haha:
EDIT: I made an mistake while putting the images together. Ignore that. FIXED.

G_G

First try to fix the image putting together if not at least save the image as a .png its much better quality. The map looks okay for like a lab or something. Looks neat/

dylanf3

Quote from: Musicmuse on July 01, 2009, 01:43:38 am
dylanf3: First off, ask yourself what YOU hate about the map and change it.  I wouldn't present a map I was unhappy with, and I think it's always more important to feel personally satisfied with a project rather than put out something to satisfy other people.

Suggestions I have for the map are kind of similar as before.

Think about the map using realistic terms.  The path is very defined.  Is this a hideout for someone (or a group of people)?  If the only things inhabiting the cave are monsters, then I doubt they'd have made a nice path leading the Hero conveniently to the exits.  Part of the the fun of field maps is letting the Hero explore and find the right path on their own.

I will say, though, the the cave seems inhabited since there are again bridges (like the steps) the seem to lead to nowhere important.  If the only purpose these bridges serve is to let the Hero fight the monsters, I'd consider editing them out.  Wolves don't build bridges to wait for a Hero to come batle them.  Don't be afraid to have areas of a map be inaccessible (or not easily accessible).

Hope this helps!

Well, the cave is not completely uninhabited, its kinda the house of the Ice Elemental boss, and these monsters are her pets =D
But you are right about the path, it shouldnt lead to that, just cuz not many ppl walk there.
And i hate it, cuz it doesnt seem right.

Musicmuse

Aqua: Unless you're scrolling from the bottom, there's probably no need for that entire bottom section.  The player will never be in a position to see it anyway.

I also noticed that you're using the darker grass tile as a shadow (I think).  I think it looks choppy and unnatural.  I appreciate you trying to add realism by using shade, but the square shade tile is actually distracting from, not enhancing, the scene.

Subsonic_Noise: I like the map, but it's very sterile.  Maybe you've added a tint already, or perhaps it's meant to be a happy, friendly place.  If it's supposed to have any drama, however, I'd think about adding a deeper tint or a dramatic background track (or both).  It just seems kind of empty.  Very nice start, though.

Regardless of the circumstances, though, the hallway is kind of barren.  Whether you add a holographic screen on the wall or some sort of "cellblock" writing (Like 'Lab C-8"), I just think it might be nice to spruce up the hallway since you obviously spent some time on designing the rooms.  Even like a wall light.  Something.  Just my opinion.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Musicmuse on July 01, 2009, 03:51:44 pm
Subsonic_Noise: I like the map, but it's very sterile.  Maybe you've added a tint already, or perhaps it's meant to be a happy, friendly place.  If it's supposed to have any drama, however, I'd think about adding a deeper tint or a dramatic background track (or both).  It just seems kind of empty.  Very nice start, though.

I forgot to mention that this (atually the whole game) has an "less color saturation tint". It's 170 instead of 255.
And, dont worry about the background track, music is the only thing I can really do^^
But it's supposed to look sterile and harmless at first. So that kind of is an compliment.^^
Quote from: Musicmuse on July 01, 2009, 03:51:44 pm
Regardless of the circumstances, though, the hallway is kind of barren.  Whether you add a holographic screen on the wall or some sort of "cellblock" writing (Like 'Lab C-8"), I just think it might be nice to spruce up the hallway since you obviously spent some time on designing the rooms.  Even like a wall light.  Something.  Just my opinion.

Thanks for hint, i will make these cellbblock writings on the walls^^ They would fit perfectly.

Blizzard

@Aqua: I agree, you need more junk on the floor. Put more plants around.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.