Mapping Improvement Thread

Started by KRoP, October 25, 2008, 10:24:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Musicmuse

Subsonic_Noise: Here are a couple of screens you might like.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Unfortunately, I got them so long ago I'm not sure who to credit... but they're not mine.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Musicmuse on July 01, 2009, 04:44:09 pm
Subsonic_Noise: Here are a couple of screens you might like.

Unfortunately, I got them so long ago I'm not sure who to credit... but they're not mine.

Thanks thanks thanks!  :o they fit perfectly!
That's one free level ++ for you ^^

Aqua

Hehe someone have the rounded water autotile then?

And... you /do/ get to go to the bottom... ;)

And I'll be sure to add more junk to the map XD

dylanf3

July 01, 2009, 06:26:39 pm #183 Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 06:39:18 pm by Starrodkirby86

This one? or another one?

My newest map, needs a LOT of improvement, just point it our :D

EDIT#
sht, sorry for double post

No harm done, ^_~  If you find yourself doing this again, just edit your double post, move it over to the last post, then remove your offending post. ~Love, Starrodkirby86

Blizzard

@Aqua: If you can see a part of the map or not is easy to determine. Left and right you can see 9.5 squares around you while up and down it's 7 squares. I always use that to make maps where you get a feeling of space. i.e. In Unitopia Underground you can walk to the edge and the camera will follow you. If you press CTRL and walk one square further, you would notice that there's nothing left and the camera doesn't scroll. Yet, until you were walking to the edge, it made the impression that the room is huge and you don't have access to all of it. xD
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Subsonic_Noise

Here is the rounded water autotile.^^

It really looks better and more natural, but still fits the RTP style.

dylanf3

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 02, 2009, 08:57:26 am
Here is the rounded water autotile.^^

It really looks better and more natural, but still fits the RTP style.

I already posted it =D
You stole my post, which was before u =D :V:

matte012

(Just as a small note, this topic wasn't posted in for 2 weeks exactly. But it is stickied so I hope this isn't necroposting.)

Here, is my introduction city that the main characters mother lives and dies in. This area is only visible for a good two minutes. (tapping of the button may reduce this time). The road to the left is a trade route so the road is naturally long, as yeah, nothing much else to say

Starrodkirby86

It's all right to necropost as long as you have constructive things to say or ask, or whatever. It differs on each case, of course~

Looks nice, especially for something you're just passing through. I'd recommend having more scenery or shrubs (Ground stuff), and if you don't mind grabbing some custom resources, you can add another tree...Seeing that same one is awfully tiring.

Are those stumps logically placed? Pretend there was actually a tree there? Would it make sense?

And yeah.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

matte012

A majority of those trees are random. But the town was newly built and is in a very heavily forested area. *works on incorporating custom content*

Also.. the middle area where the area is flattened out was a semi-mistake turned into gold as the scene will happen there. Poor Skye.. she was just a child.. *sheds a tear for edited character*

~Sometime later~

BACK!!! And here is the map changed around. It looks better in my opinion

Matt's Map Improved!!: ShowHide

Sally

Its a nice map, but it looks more of a Village than a City, but it all depends on how your game is set up. Imo.

winkio

Quote from: matte012 on July 15, 2009, 02:49:11 am
But the town was newly built and is in a very heavily forested area.

Looking pretty good.  The one thing that I would wonder is why is that path on the left side of the screen look like it's been traveled so much?  If its part of a route from one bigger city to another, then thats fine, but if not, I'd make it smaller/grassier.  Great job though.

matte012

The road is a trade route, many wagons carry goods and other stuff. In fact, that is how your character shows up. But now spoilers... now that I can map, NOW FOR EVENTING! Thanks!

And, for dylanf3. You're map seems good, fix up all the errors in mapping though. The rock on the ledge is blocking out some of the cliff, but it is good, for a rocky area/mountain. Keep on making maps! And is it me, or is the river WAY to small for such a large waterfall like that. :P

nathmatt

August 02, 2009, 09:27:47 am #193 Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 01:46:20 pm by nathmatt
my planed cave

here is the entrance to my map what do you think

here is the next part

& the next part

i guess i mightas well stop adding i guess this thread is dead
Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script

Valcos

Naw, its not dead dead. Its just that no one is probably interested in commenting on maps right now. I think you should add more crap to it, to plan xD. I know its simple and anyone could say that, but... it has to be said. And i think some of the maps seem a bit square. Like the 2nd one, that needs a bunch of work, it just doesnt look right. And the 3rd one, the path doesnt seem right to me, just not sure in what way.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

boisei0

August 03, 2009, 06:44:59 am #195 Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 06:58:34 am by boisei0
One of mine, a mining town, I made for one of my current games. In the beginnning, I couldn't map. And when I say I couldn't, I really couldn't. Look at this ones:

And the improved one
~Boisei0

Valcos

Someone comment on this one, i dont know where to start -_-". No offense.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

Starrodkirby86

I got experience modding osu! beatmaps~ U:

I am not going to criticize the first two maps but instead going to criticize the third one.

1. The map is way too empty. This makes an RPG boring on many levels, especially when the player has a slow traveling speed. There needs to be more scenery, trails, obstacles, and especially events.
2. Rivers aren't meant to be square looking. At the right side it's all fine~ But it's so horribly linear on the other side. Man-made rivers and lakes aren't even that linear.
3. Speaking of the river, where the heck is it going at the left side over there? I would assume it's supposed to 'enter the cliff' but due to the tileset's 'limits' you couldn't do that. I don't really know what to tell you other than making your own with a character set or something. I can't recall anything and I'm too lazy to open RPG Maker.
4. Thinking logically, is it really safe to put some rails above water? I would think it'd pollute the water if stray coals fell or wear and tear happened on that area when the carts come out. I'd also believe that the way the rails would be built in a mining town would be the quickest route from Point A to B so they can net the minerals/whatever at a high pace.
5. It may look a bit creative to have that fort over there, but what use does it have besides the possibility of archers raining down on people (Though it's not a high elevation so that wouldn't be a smart idea as well)? (I'm talking about the steel barricaded area or something around the south part that's surrounded by water)
6. I can't tell when zoomed out, but I don't think the mine tiles nearby the cliff (The brown stones) fit well when transitioning with the grass tiles. Kind of like oil and water...? And why is the grass always the darker colored one? Variety is good, you know.

Some positive points of the map:
1. You know how to use cliffs! (Or at least, the bottom of it) Yay~
2. It has some nice basic structure. It's a good barebones map. Needs detail though~
3. The river on the right looks a bit natural at least. ^^ Kinda narrow though.
4. Yay on Waterfall~

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

nathmatt

August 25, 2009, 03:12:03 pm #198 Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 07:09:09 pm by nathmatt
updated

what do you thing havent fixed the face in hud yet lol

Night

Day

new map

Night

Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script

Starrodkirby86

Look at Map 1 + 2's upper right corner nearby the tree. There's a bit of some extra shadow tile that looks a little icky. The transitioning from the tile to the panorama out there also seems a bit too choppy. Perhaps you should use the cliffs tile to make it seem less blocky. Day seems a bit dark or gloomy, but I can't particularly complain on that...I guess...

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Nice maps. ^^