Is my pen drive broken for good?

Started by Fantasist, November 02, 2008, 05:05:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantasist

I recently got a 4GB JetFlash pen drive. I gave it to a friend and god knows what he did, it's not working right.

Symptoms:
When I plug the drive, the LED glows. The drive appears in My Computer. But when I try to access it, it says "Please insert disk into drive". I've tried double-clicking the icon and typing the drive letter in the address bar. Nothing worked. I can't even format it cause when I try to, it says the same thing: insert disk into drive.

Is there any way I can recover it?
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Starrodkirby86

Try a variety of computers. Check the hardware itself of the drive and see if there's nothing kooky going on...If you really want the data badly, maybe you can get a professional to fix it up or move the contents into a working flash drive...Though I don't know if they have those types of people in your area.

I see lots of Flash Drives that glow and do whatever but they don't get sensed at school. One of my flash drives has an uneven twist that makes it erect when you insert it in the computer. Yet it still works...x_X

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Fantasist

QuoteTry a variety of computers.

Already done that with two other computers, same symptoms.

QuoteIf you really want the data badly, maybe you can get a professional to fix it up or move the contents into a working flash drive...Though I don't know if they have those types of people in your area.

I don't need the data, I want the drive to work again. It was barely 2 months since I got the pen drive.
They're there alright, but I don't trust them, not after they screwed up my music player >.<

I'll have to use the warranty in the worst case. I just want to know how to fix it instead of getting a new one.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

winkio

have you checked the connector?  (That's the part the plugs in to the socket).  Sometimes, something gets loose or bent in there.  My friend once had a similar problem where it had those symptoms and the only way he could get it to work was to push really hard upwards on the drive while in the socket.  He took it apart, found a loose wire, and fixed it.

Fantasist

I tried that but no good :( I have a USB card which has 5 USB slots. It didn't work with any of them. Are there any software that can access the pen drive in low level? I mean, it gets identified and has a drive letter without any conflicts. There has to be a way, I think.