New president of the USA!

Started by winkio, November 05, 2008, 12:44:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

First off, I don't care what your political stance is, no exuberant spamming and no flaming.  Period.

Now, Obama has been elected the new president of the United States.  This is epic for 3 reasons:
1.  He is black
2.  He is a drastic change from Bush, the previous president
3.  He won my a very large margin, more than 100 electoral college votes, unlike any recent presidents

So, what do you think of this?  I'm interested to hear some foreign perspectives on my country as well, so put in your opinion!

no exuberant spamming and no flaming.  Period.

Starrodkirby86

November 05, 2008, 12:49:31 am #1 Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:00:39 am by Starrodkirby86
I honestly could have posted this like you have did considering I was wholly stuck on the computer during 8pm PFC, the decision time because of California's Electoral Votes (55 big ones came to Obama).

The first African American President...Wow...I'm proud of America. From its days of slavery where blacks had no rights, now it's finally time that African Americans...Yeah...You see what I'm saying. This is an amazing step towards history and I'm sure Lincoln would be proud.

Obama won by 338 to 156 approx. in electoral votes...Points would vary here and there, but oh well.

Congrats, we're in an Obamanation.  :roll:

EDIT: It seems someone wasn't happy of McCain... (NSFW?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=John_McCain&oldid=249793851

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Fantasist

An African American for the president of the USA, now I can say that most of the world has gotten over the racial barrier. I'm really curious how things will turn out for the USA (and the rest of the world?)
PS: I'm not into politics AT ALL, but this grabbed my attention from the bottom of my heart, that should speak for itself ;)
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Diokatsu

I'm sure it's big on the grand scheme but the most important thing is he fufill his duties as president. No matter who they are, the president has responsibility as the leader of the American people to uphold the Constitiution vigilantly and as long as he does this, the world will be a better place.

I want to make a point though: I hope he is remembered, not for being the first African-American president, but as an amazing president. THAT will eliminate not only the political barriers but the social barriers. He made history once, and I'd sure as hell love to see him make it many more times, in ways that truely benefit our country. And if his administrate can truly deliver, then let all mouths be free from racism further more. That being said, this is a monumental day for people of African descent all over the world and my sincere congratulations goes to them.

I also want to point out the amazing consession speech by John McCain. He is truly a man who served our country and a honorable one at that. It really does me good knowing that either way, we would've had an amazing president. And some cheer for Ralph Nader, who got 1% of votes in my home state of Massachusetts.

Well done to every candidate and well done to the former administration. No bad words to George Bush, his term is over and we might have disliked him, but it was he, not us, who took this responsibility and has more resolve than I. Let all bitter feelings quell and celebrate today, not look back onto yesterday. At least for the time being that is ;)

Not: Ahhhhh....How bout Reagan...or Nixon? They CRUSHED the opposition. Not too epic....

Reygekan

Quote1.  He is black

He's actually 1/4 black, 1/4 arab, and 1/2 white. So technically speaking, he's more white than black :P

Quote2.  He is a drastic change from Bush, the previous president

Can't say that until he actually -does- something

Quote3.  He won my a very large margin, more than 100 electoral college votes, unlike any recent presidents

That's true in the electoral college, although in terms of the popular vote he was only up about 1%

I don't think that his race, crushing the opposition, or his difference from Bush are all too important though- Hilton was way different than Bush but that didn't stop him from being a treasonous bastard. Also, technically, if he dies before January he wont be president :P

Anyway, I think it's all great and everything, but seeing how he hasn't actually accomplished anything yet I find that I don't really care and my stance is neutral until he actually accomplishes something as president of the  United States. =/

winkio

Ok, this is what I was trying to avoid in this topic:  argument.  This topic is not to argue with others.  This topic is to give your opinions and discuss.

So, to kill the argument quickly and revert back to discussion, I will not respond to any arguments that other people start up.

NEW RULE: NO ARGUMENT

That said, I do think that it is interesting that we haven't seen Obama in action yet.  We never know what kind of a surprise we might get.  I, however, think he will do exactly what he set himself up to do, in terms of his political stances, because he, although a politician, still has morals.  And a soul.  And a sense of pride.  Anyways, I think that his speedy rise to power is only the beggining of his great list to achievements, and I look forward to seeing what he does next.

Another point: Cynicism sucks.  I know the government is crazy, and most Americans don't understand it because it doesn't revolve around them, but seriously.  Very few people even vote to begin with.  If Americans delved more into their own political situation, I think we would be a much more motivated nation.  We get out of our government what we put into our government.

Blizzard

If the topic gets out of control, simply report the post and request locking.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Shadonking

im not really that botherd about who won but i think he was the best candidate.

but time can only tell if he is a good president, and lets hope that he actualy gets the USA to care about the enviroment and see what he does about all the other problems that Bush has made.

Creator Of Music And Games
Spoiler: ShowHide
]

keywords: ShowHide
rmxp rmvx blizz-abs rpg maker xp vx abs cbs cms script tons of addons charsets autotiles HUD

come here if you have a ps3
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=1952.0

Reives

How can you have a political thread and allow "discussion" yet at the same time disallow "argument"? They're practically the same thing, unless by argument it means "flaming". :P

QuoteThat's true in the electoral college, although in terms of the popular vote he was only up about 1%

Did you get that info from Fox? Kidding kidding. But aye, that is blatantly false - the popular vote ratio is actually 53% vs. 46%; one of the largest gap in recent history and the first democratic nominee to break 50% since Jimmy Carter.

[Just correcting a fact, I'm unarmed!]
:~

Reygekan

QuoteOk, this is what I was trying to avoid in this topic:  argument.

If you were referring to me, I wasn't arguing- just giving my input.

Oh, really? I stopped watching after Obama won via electoral college, so I didn't know how the end result was in terms of popular result, thanks for the correction ^_^

Woooh, other parties got 1%! =P

Starrodkirby86

Ah, so it was 53 to 46. I thought it was something along the lines of 52 to 48, but that's still an achievement to think about. Congratulations Obama once more.

QuoteIf the topic gets out of control, simply report the post and request locking.

Or rather just lock it yourself. XD

You know, I heard about foreign relations have gone much smoother and friendlier now that Obama is president-elect. Overall out in the world, it shows a change we're making in America as Obama is the first "African-American" as the president...I talked to some of my friends from other countries, they love Obama and apparently their country loves him as well. :P

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Diokatsu

Shadonking

November 07, 2008, 07:31:26 pm #12 Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 07:33:31 pm by Shadonking
yeh about other countries loving Obama, im from england and we think he is great for two main reasons

1. he is not an idiot
2. he seems trust worthy

lets just hope were right. time can only tell

Creator Of Music And Games
Spoiler: ShowHide
]

keywords: ShowHide
rmxp rmvx blizz-abs rpg maker xp vx abs cbs cms script tons of addons charsets autotiles HUD

come here if you have a ps3
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=1952.0

Diokatsu

Quote from: Shadonking on November 07, 2008, 07:31:26 pm
yeh about other countries loving Obama, im from england and we think he is great for two main reasons

1. he is not an idiot
2. he seems trust worthy

lets just hope were right. time can only tell

You make it seem like John McCain was an idiot or George Bush was an idiot...I don't wanna hear about presidents being idiot or stupid as they're much more highly educated than you or me

winkio

Since people are still not understanding this, let me outline the differences between discussions and arguments.  No, nobody did anything drastically wrong, but I think some people want clarification.

In a discussion, multiple people talk about a subject by giving their opinions.  Everyone acknowledges other people's posts, but the focus is on the topic, not what other people said.  The main idea of these are not usually targeted at any individual in particular, unless you desire to hear their input in particular.  You can correct facts in a discussion.
Common responses to other people's posts include: "I agree, and [insert point on topic here]" and "I respect that, and [insert point on topic here]"

In an argument, the focus shifts from the subject itself to other people's opinions on the subject, and it usually but not always gets out of control.  These are usually targeted at a specific person or group of people.  People usually try to rebuke opinions in an argument.
Common responses to other people's posts include: "But [insert rebuttal here]" and "Except [insert rebuttal here]"
Example from this thread:
Quote from: Diokatsu
You make it seem like John McCain was an idiot or George Bush was an idiot...I don't wanna hear about presidents being idiot or stupid as they're much more highly educated than you or me

The correct way to say the above in a discussion would be:

It is interesting that some call presidents idiotic or stupid as they're much more highly educated than most of us.  Plus they are surrounded with tons of smart advisers.

I'm sorry, but you must realize that if we start having a political argument, this thread will get out of hand really quickly.
Now that we have that out of the way....

I think it is interesting that Obama's election has such drastic effects on the global scale, even though Bush is still president.  In a press conference today, reporters asked Obama what he was going to do with the economy, and his reply was something to the effect of "there can only be one president of the United States."  Do you think we all should be ignoring Bush right now?  Because, after all, he still is president for another two months.  And it's not like Obama will be able to do too much until then.

Diokatsu

November 07, 2008, 09:26:24 pm #15 Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 09:31:02 pm by Diokatsu
Quote from: Webster's English Dictionarydis.cus.sion \dis-'k*sh-*n\ n 1: consideration of a question in open usu.
   informal debate

Yeah....If you didn't foresee this, you might want to try thinking about the possiblities next time. And it would be debate, not arguement. you never labeled this as a discussion, merely stating that there was to be no flaming nor spamming. Furthermore, there is no reason to go through all the trouble of posting a summary of the nature of the discussion if you never even declared this a discussion. you asked for peoples opinions, and even when things turned into a debate of sorts you merely said no arguing. So can I ask what it is this thread is about? I find it strange that Shadon said he WASN'T an idiot. and yes I did mean to confront him on it:
QuoteIt is interesting that some call presidents idiotic or stupid as they're much more highly educated than most of us.  Plus they are surrounded with tons of smart advisers.

That is a statement of an observation. My sentence was one expressing sentiments that are personal to me and proclaiming that I didn't want to hear about such a thing as the stupidity of the presidency. It may have seemed rash to you but no where do I not have the right to not express my views in the mannerism I choose. You call a formality to an informal thread. If you wish for a structured debate or discussion maybe you should set some rules?

Oh, I'd word that statement differently too if we were in a more formal setting.

QuoteI find it to be disturbing how people have such a biased view on the current president's intellegence. It seems to me that no one can contemplate the stresses of such a job and have no prior knowledge of leadership of anything nearly as important. Moreover, the failure to recognize the education of presidents, while appalling, is almost as disturbing as the inability to recognize the cabinets intellegence as well. People seem to blame the president for all our problems, when he holds but a third of the power.

winkio

Now you see how this can spiral out of control.  There is more than one definition for everything, and I just defined both for your use in this topic.  If you want to argue with me more, I plead you to stop, because I really am not going to do it.

This topic is not for confronting people on what they say.  This topic is not to instigate reactions from other people.  The purpose is simply to say your views, hear some others, and discuss and perhaps learn more from the experience.  It is not to prove people wrong.  It is not to shut people down.  That kind of a topic is not about the New President of the USA: it is about everyone's conflicting opinions on the topic.

Dio, I'm not trying to be mean, elitist, ignorant or whatever else you are attempting to argue with me about.  I'm trying to keep this topic free from rampant opinions that don't really add anything to the discussion.

So please, I've tried to keep this topic under control.  If you can't handle these rules and would rather argue your opinions against other peoples, or if you feel that your person cannot be contained within these bounds, please start a new, separate topic.  Thank you.

Side note: if it's really worth it to any of you to keep arguing in this thread, I will report it and it will be locked by Blizz.

Diokatsu

Ok ok. I will stop arguing my point. I just think he needs to do something before he will be "epic". I do respect that this is an amazing day for African-Americans and other African people around the globe

Blizzard

November 08, 2008, 05:59:58 am #18 Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:08:53 am by Blizzard
Quote from: Reives on November 07, 2008, 12:58:55 pm
How can you have a political thread and allow "discussion" yet at the same time disallow "argument"? They're practically the same thing, unless by argument it means "flaming". :P

Wrong. Argument is a more heated discussion if not even more than that. And it's a discussion about what the new president will/should do, not about why he won or shouldn't have won or whatever which would most probably turn into a debate which is between discussion and argument. Flaming would be an argument that got way out of control even though an argument is already an out-of-control debate.

Discussion < Debate < Argument < Flaming

And now let's stop going off-topic.

@Dio: I wouldn't agree with you and the statement of education, because education doesn't make you smart or sharpminded. I know loads of people at my college who have great grades, but they are simply idiots. There's nothing that can be done about it. I'm not saying that Bush was an idiot, because I don't know him personally. But based on his actions he has only proven that he most likely is an idiot rather than not.
I hope Obama will do something good and not just mayhem. Oh, where are all those presidents I've heard so much in the American history? Seems like people of that calibur don't become president anymore. ._. I really hope that Obama will do something for the common good rather than the U.S.A.'s own good at any cost only. ._.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Punn

Bush got 17% approval rating. Lowest in presidential history.
(Is he dumb nao?)

Btw, anyone know where Bush is?