Spriteset Details

Started by Blulightning, November 07, 2008, 12:53:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blulightning

I have a bunch of sprite sets that I pieced together, but they have little to no shading and are in general kind of crappy. I've started adding details and fixing them up, but if someone wanted to help me... That'd be awesome. It's for a game i've yet to post anything about (oooh!!), and I want to do all custom sprites. Like I said, I just need some details done on maybe 5, and I can take it from there. Here's a particularly shitty one:

It's bad, right? Lol anyway if anyone wants to give a helping hand, and get their name in big letters in the project, that'd be great.

Satoh

Spoiler: ShowHide

Ok, I didn't do much, I basically used photoshop to boost the master levels... (how much lightness, darkness, contrast, and colors it has)

For the most part the only real problems I saw were the 2x scaling, which you may have done on purpose, so it is void, and the fact that you used RGB 000 black... As a graphics enthusiast, I can tell you that that is a no-no. Some programs substitute RGB 000 as transparent, (since it's technically reading data equalling 0. Thinking it has no information at all it treats it as trans.)

My suggestions, Use a very very dark color, like RGB 5,0,0 instead of black (note 5,0,0 is slightly red, and works well with red, dark yellow and dark brown.) For a "cool" black, I suggest 1,0,1 or 0,0,1 which will be slightly blue, and though not obvious, it can be interpereted by the brain will change the attitude of the sprite very slightly.

Granted, this still may not be what you're after, but I think it looks decent with a little more deviation in the colors like my version...
Requesting Rule #1: BE SPECIFIC!!

Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night...
Light a man afire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life... ¬ ¬;

My Resources

Blulightning

Thanks! It looks great, but is there any program I can use besides Photoshop? I don't have it and can't afford it :(

Satoh

There is one free image software called 'The G.I.M.P.', which some are very fond of, I personally do not know how to use it, but from the interface, it seems to have similar tools and features.

I'm sure there are several others that are free or at least allow some basic functionality unregistered, but I don't know wha to tell you to look for off the top of my head.
Requesting Rule #1: BE SPECIFIC!!

Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night...
Light a man afire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life... ¬ ¬;

My Resources

Blulightning

GIMP.... Have it, kind of tried it out, but I'll check again. Thanks :)

Tazero

you know on download.com photo shop if free for 30 days :)

If you were a fish...

Ryex

there is also paint.net similar to photoshop
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />