ABS Showdown Contest

Started by Blizzard, December 01, 2008, 12:36:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

Just in case we need extra support for BlizzABS, my game will have a new demo soon.  So, because of that, I'm not entering.  Mostly because it would get instantly disqualified with these rules.  But this will indeed be interesting.  Base-BABS pwns base XAS.  XAS will only win if nobody in BABS really tries.  Especially with party AI.

computerwizoo7

Blizzard

No, it's not. It clearly states "Hero Edition". And I am giving out only Blizz-ABS 2, I am not giving out CoSLAL EXA Edition.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Diokatsu

What Blizz means is that his is the original released as it was intended with bug fixes and features integrated into the base system. I don't know much about the hero system but it seems to me to be sort of someone elses mods to the already functioning battle system. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

computerwizoo7

December 01, 2008, 07:13:33 pm #24 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 07:14:45 pm by computerwizoo7
blizz abs v2.0 clearly says that its an update and the original is v0, its in your documentation!
explain that!
also Hero Edition don't mean anything!

well it means that it is in english!

Blizzard

Of course it's an update. Didn't XAS ever go over version 1? Well, that's sad.
Hero Edition was not made by Xiderowg. I'm not allowing up Aqua's mod of Blizz-ABS as well.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

King Munkey

I haven't checked out XAS very much or I would do it just because noone else has but as of right now I guess I will just stick with what I know
    * Name: King Munkey
    * ABS used: Blizz - ABS 2.01
    * E-mail: kingmunkeyx@gmail.com
    * Forum where you are mainly active (just one): Chaos Project

G_G Is my hero!
Munkey != monkey
Munkey > monkey

Blizzard

December 01, 2008, 07:49:11 pm #27 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 07:56:28 pm by Blizzard
There, cw7. To make you stop acting like a baby, I allowed it all. Plugins and generic support scripts are allowed without adding to the limit number of extra script. That means you can use any plugin for XAS out there and Blizz-ABS users can use any, if not all of my scripts and Tons of Add-ons. And additionally to that you can use scripts up to 10000 lines of code.
But don't forget: You can't use any resources from the demo.

legacyblade

@compwizzo, Yes actually. The Hero Edition is just a bunch of addons to XAS. But it seems blizz is modifyin the rules, since you're not so sure about the engine's strength without the addons MOG made. But remember, no resources from the demo means you have to make your own skills, your own animations, your own spritesets, and all your own things. You can use other people's resources, and the default RTP animations, but nothing out of the demo. bABS users have the same restriction. We can't use any of the resources or skills from the demo. This is a contest to see who can make a better ABS with their selected system. Not to see how well you can apply the resources the creator made.

GAX

PRetty much what LB is trying to say:  CW7, you are fucked.

Also, Blizz is right, XAS Hero Edition shouldn't be allowed because it's a heavily modded version of the original, not an update.

Btw, any flaming you cause in this topic CW will result in a banhammer.  This is a contest, leave the flaming to the guys on RMRK.

Rule 2: ShowHide
Quote from: Rule No.2Keep your signatures at reasonable size. The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB and take up an area of 1600px2. That means 2 pictures of 400x200 are fine, one picture of 800x200 is fine and so on. Also your pictures height must not exceed 200 pixels, width can be as big as you want as long as your pictures match the other criteria. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

legacyblade

But blizz is allowing the Hero Edition, so let's just go with it. It means bABS gets more addons. But remember, CW7, NONE of the resources provided with the demo (with the obvious exception of the graphics for the HUD). That means you have to make your own skills, make your own animations (or use animations others have made, such as the RTP), and none of the provided charsets, icons, or weapon sprites that came with the demo. None of the blizzABS users are using the graphics and animations from Chronicles of Sir Lagalot, and I don't think blizz is going to bend the rules anymore for you.

winkio

I'll do some judging since I don't really want to abandon my own game right now, especially after you just released BABS 2.0.  That is my primary experience.  I had limited experience with XAS 2.0, but dropped it after about a week of word.  So basically:

Judge

Name: Winkio
Experience:  lots of experience with Blizz-ABS.  Limited experience with XAS(2.0).
E-mail: christiansenryan@gmail.com
Forum: chaosproject

This should be an interesting contest to judge.  And technically, since both ABSes can pretty much do anything, that 60% category is basically on what features you implement and how well you use them, right?

shdwlink1993

A couple other ABS links:

RTH-ABS (v2.5)
NeoABS (v1.5)

* Name: shdwlink1993
    * ABS used: Blizz-ABS
    * E-mail: mariolink93@yahoo.com
    * Forum where you are mainly active (just one): Chaos Project

And now to attempt to resist the urge to begin work before the contest actually begins... This is gonna be tricky.
Stuff I've made:

"Never think you're perfect or else you'll stop improving yourself."

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

tSwitch

Zylos is going to be working with me on this one.
expect gaming gold.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Fantasist

Sign me up >8U

Name: Fantasist
ABS used: Blizz-ABS
E-mail: thefantasist@yahoo.com
Forum where you are mainly active (just one): Chaos Project
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Blizzard

December 02, 2008, 06:35:54 am #35 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 06:58:17 am by Blizzard
Alright, I'll put yuo guys up. I will post this topic at the other forums somewhere during the day after I got a few more links for ABSes.

Quote from: legacyblade on December 01, 2008, 08:49:35 pm
But blizz is allowing the Hero Edition, so let's just go with it. It means bABS gets more addons. But remember, CW7, NONE of the resources provided with the demo (with the obvious exception of the graphics for the HUD).

Actually no. He can't use the graphics for the HUD, he has to make new ones. As I said, no resources.

Quote from: legacyblade on December 01, 2008, 08:49:35 pm
None of the blizzABS users are using the graphics and animations from Chronicles of Sir Lagalot, and I don't think blizz is going to bend the rules anymore for you.

Exactly. That's pretty much it.

@winkio: Yeah, that's pretty much it. You judge the use of the ABS and how well it was done. Naturally, if a game uses all features but is completely inconsistent, you give a low rating. If a game uses only a few features, but it does it very well, you give a relatively rating compared to the other games. The ideal case where all features are used and the game is still being great is most probably not going to happen. But who knows, maybe somebody is smart enough to figure out that just one trap skill already covered that trap skill/item feature. xD

tSwitch

Behemoth is at 1.02 from what I've found

Projectile ABS v1.00b for RMXP Version 1.02a (English)
By Behemoth

Description
A real time action battle system containing lots of cool features. Editing tool included.

This is a One vs Many ABS script, meaning the only enemies the bad guys target is you, the player. There is no use for Skills in this script so they are taken out. Weapons can shoot multiple shots up to 20 bullets at a time if duel weapon is on. Any events can be triggered when shot. In the event of too many bullets/events on screen, the game will detect it and prevent the choppy frame rate. Bullet Time can bring the game speed to 0.1 * normal game speed and no lower. You can also make many types of weapons and ammo types by using the editor to make unique weapons. Wall hugging is also a feature so you can peek out around corners quickly and take out your enemies before they see you. The Minimap is a bit custmizable, you have the option to turn it off if you want like many other options. There is an on screen HUD to show the player's health, bullet time points, ammo, combos and a quick switch weapon menu. All which can be enabled or disabled through the games settings.

Features
    * Fast paced bullet action
    * Several ways to create many types of weapons
    * Voice sets for enemies
    * The volume of SE's are relative to the player position
    * Explosions
    * Bullet Time
    * Dodging and Wall Hugging
    * Enemy A.I. that can see and hear everything that occurs.
    * Minimap
    * HUD displays
    * Editing Tool with many many options

Installation
Place script file above Main and below every other script.

Concerning The Adding of Other Scripts
This script adds alot to the orginal default scripts for rmxp. So before you start thinking you can add whatever script you want on top of this, you better think again. If the script overwrites any methods concerning the character's, Event's, Game Player, or the Game Map or Scene Title, or even the spriteset for the map then there's definitly going to be a problem. If the script you are trying to add is using alias's then it might work....and I stress the word might. Scripts that change your message box for dialog or your main menu are completely fine and should be added without any problem. So I just want to remind anyone that uses this....that adding scripts intended to change the default scripts for rmxp may result in errors, so find scripts that use aliases.

Script + Sample Project
Projectile ABS Script v1.0b.zip (1.04 MB)

Help File
Projectile ABS Script v1.0b Help.txt (6 KB)

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Blizzard

It's the minimum version that's required so don't worry about it. Also:

Projectile ABS v1.00b for RMXP Version 1.02a (English)

ABS is v1.0b, 1.02a is RMXP's version. xD

DeathLock

December 02, 2008, 12:37:17 pm #38 Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 12:38:25 pm by DeathLock
I'll sign up as a judge. I'll just be judging Behemoth's ABS, since I've been using it for a long time by now. I'm pretty much familiar with all the functions.

Name: DeathLock
Experience: Complete experience with Behemoth ABS.
E-mail: death_lock@live.com
Forum: Chaos Project

Blizzard

Actually you have to judge all games. The experience with one ABS is only preferred so you can actually compare to what other ABSes can do. -_-