ABS Showdown Contest

Started by Blizzard, December 01, 2008, 12:36:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

December 01, 2008, 12:36:19 pm Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 07:44:25 am by Blizzard
ABS Showdown Contest

Introduction

Hello and welcome. Some of you might know me, others might not. I am a scripter who has created many scripts for the RPG Maker community and one of them is the ABS called "Blizz-ABS". Currently there is a lot going on in that area and many people are fighting about which ABS is the best. Of course something like this cannot be determined with just one or two features, it's a comparison involving the entire ABS. I've had an interesting in order to make a comparison: An ABS contest! That's a nice idea and all, but it wouldn't really work out if it was at my forum only because most members there prefer Blizz-ABS. So I decided that it should be a cross-forum contest. Also, the game does not have to be a complete game. It can be an alternative plot twist of an already existing game. It can be just a demo for your own, bigger game. And you don't even have to really finish it. But obviously an unfinished game will lose some points. Submit what you got at the end. Keep in mind that you are not allowed to use games already in development because it would be unfair towards the other participants. The RPG Maker that is being used is RPG Maker XP.

The forums included in this contest are:

How will it work

It's simple. We will compare games created by using an ABS. There are several rules which need to be followed. Any major violation of the rules means immediate disqualification since it's a contest with a rather small scope (small game). Anybody can participate or judge. Please see the section further below for more information for sign ups. It's preferred if the judges also know how to use at least one ABS, but it's not necessary.

General information

The game should be created solo, but collaboration is allowed. In the latter case, the necessary playtime will be multiplied with the number of team members where the minimum is 30 minutes and each team member adds 30 more minutes to the playtime. Examples:

• 1 team member = 30-60 minutes of playtime

• 2 team member = 60-90 minutes of playtime

• 3 team member = 90-120 minutes of playtime

The time limit is 15 days. The games themselves must not use any resources (graphics, music, scripts) from the demos or example games provided specifically for the ABSes or any other ABSes. The games also can use any scripts that are specified as plugins for the ABSes. (i.e. EXP in HUD for Blizz-ABS can be used). Support scripts that add features to the ABS (i.e. Chaos Rage Limit System for Blizz-ABS) are also allowed. Those scripts are not counted as additional scripts and do not add to the "number of coded lines" for the limit.
You are allowed to do some very minor tweaks in the ABS like editing one line to disable a feature that is not listed as normal feature and cannot be disabled otherwise. But those add-ons MUST be in form of additional scripts that simply override or alias the already existing ABS. Custom scripts and other plugins are allowed. Graphics and music can be custom or RTP.
The time for preparation of the contest should be used for planning, resource gathering and database setup.

Prizes

• The winner of the contest can request either medium script (up to estimated 1000 lines of code) for RPG Maker XP created by me for his/her game only or a cash prize of $20 payed over PayPal (and PayPal only!).

• The second ranked can request a small script from Zeriab (active everywhere and nowhere xD) for RPG Maker XP.

• The third ranked can request a small script from modern algebra (mostly active at RMRK.net) for either RPG Maker XP or RPG Maker VX.

Summarized rules

• RPG Maker: RPG Maker XP

• contest starts: 15. December 2008, 12h GMT+1

• contest ends: 30. December 2008, 12h GMT+1

• RTP Graphics: allowed

• RTP Music: allowed

• non-RTP Graphics: allowed

• non-RTP Music: allowed

• SDK: allowed

• ABS specific plugins: allowed

• ABS support scripts: allowed

• custom scripts: allowed (maximum 10000 lines of code altogether, SDK, plugins and support scripts do not count)

• direct modification of ABS scripts: only minor and in form of additional scripts

• direct modification of RTP scripts: not allowed

• resources from the ABS demos: not allowed

• very, very small edits in the ABS in form of extra scripts: allowed

• team ups: allowed (no maximum)

• playtime: 30~60 minutes + 30 minutes for each additional team member if working in teams

• full credits must be given to everybody who participated in the creation of the game (i.e. if a script was used during development, but removed afterwards, credit the creator of the script with at least a "thank you")

• DREAM and any DREAM scripts must not be used

• project must not be compiled and encrypted when submitted

• game doesn't have to be a full game, it can be unfinished or a demo for another game or something similar

• every submitted game that uses Blizz-ABS can be requested to be rereleased as Blizz-ABS example game

Judges

• winkio (Chaos Project; Blizz-ABS, limited XAS 2.0)

• DeathLock (Chaos Project; Behemoth ABS)

• Irock (RMRK; any ABS)

• xgamexfreakx (RMXP.org; XAS)

• MegaDethKlok (RPG RPG Revolution; none)

• Punn (formally Mumerus) (Chaos Project; Blizz-ABS)

Contestants

• scoace13 (Chaos Project; Blizz-ABS)

• legacyblade (Eminweb; Blizz-ABS)

• NAMKCOR (RMRK.net; Blizz-ABS), Bayard Zylos (RMRK.net, Blizz-ABS)

• Chaze007 (Chaos Project; Blizz-ABS)

• Kingmunkey (Chaos Project; Blizz-ABS)

• Fantasist (Chaos Project; Blizz-ABS)

• Azriel (Creation Asylum; XAS)

• computerwizoo7 (Big Dreamer; XAS)

• Elf Wind (Phanxgames; Behemoth ABS)

• Landith (Chaos Project; Blizz-ABS)

• onimusuko (RPG RPG Revolution; RTH-ABS)

• Ace of Spades (RMXP.org; Ace ABS)

Additional information

The maximum of 10000 lines of code means that the number of effective lines of code from all other scripts must not exceed 10000. The ABSes' code does not count. The code of ABS plugins does not count. The code of support scripts for the ABS does not count. SDK is a rewrite of all the RTP script and therefore cannot be considered a script, you are allowed to use SDK without penalty. You are also not allowed to edit those scripts to enhance the game. This WILL be tested and if your RTP scripts match less than 99,5% (basically the small differences in the different versions that use different font declarations), you will be disqualified! Comments and empty lines are not effective lines of code! Any script that is being used during the development, but removed in the final version IS NOT included in the 10000 lines of code!

Now take a look at those codes here.

class Classe

def something
   if a ||
        c || d
     p 4
   end
   p 11 if c
   p 12; p13; p 14; p15;
 end

end

This code has 12 effective lines of code. The lines

if a ||
        c || d
      p 4
    end

are 3 lines of code because the condition is split into two lines. The line

p 11 if c

is one line of code. The line

p 12; p13; p 14; p15;

represents 4 lines of code since the synchronization character was used.
Those rules are to prevent things like a "one-line-script".

Everything else

This is what will be judged:

• 60% well use of the ABS's possibilities

• 20% gameplay

• 20% story, mapping, game details and everything else

As you can see, it's not too important to be a good mapper or story writer or anything else but to use your ABS well.

ABS downloads and links

You can download following ABSes. The specified version is the minimum version that you can use.

Of course, you are allowed to get and use any ABS that's not listed here without version limitation.

If you decide to sign up as judge, it's enough to post and to mention which ABS (if any) you have experience with.

If you decide to sign up as participant, it's the best if you fill out this form in order to provide all necessary information.

• Name: YOUR_NAME_OR_NICK

• ABS used: ABS_NAME

• E-mail: EMAIL

• Forum where you are mainly active (just one): FORUM_NAME

You can find my e-mail in my profile. Any game that was sent past the end date and time will not enter the contest. You are allowed to send more than one version, though. That means that you can send your game and if you add something extra afterwards, you can send it again. I will ensure that the judges get your most recent version (the one you send last). I will attempt to answer any question that you have. Keep in mind that you can use the time until the contest starts for ideas about the game and general planning.

Contact information

You can find my e-mail in my profile. Any game that was sent past the end date and time will not enter the contest. You are allowed to send more than one version, though. That means that you can send your game and if you add something extra afterwards, you can send it again. I will ensure that the judges get your most recent version (the one you send last).
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

scoace13

I am assuming that we reply to the topic to sign up...

Name: Scoace13
ABS used: Blizz-abs 2.01
E-mail: Wii_the_people2@hotmail.com
Forum where you are mainly active (just one): Chaos Project
scoace13, Eventman extrodnaire...so anybody seen any good movies recently <br />...whys is this here..........random fate...same reason im here...

legacyblade

December 01, 2008, 02:59:57 pm #2 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 03:05:16 pm by legacyblade
I think I'd like to participate

* Name: Legacyblade
    * ABS used: Blizz-abs 2.01
    * E-mail: legacyblade@gmail.com
    * Forum where you are mainly active (just one): Chaos Project

I'll do the posing for the attacks. I'll use the bland blizzABS style of sprites, since that'll make things much faster. Too much posing on my template takes lots of effort. (plus it doesn't look good with blizz-ABS's animation speed). I can do custom poses for cutscenes too. I need a break from my project, so this sounds fun. Anyone want me in their team? I'd prefer to be in a team than doing it by myself

-btw, does tons of addons count as an ABS specific script? Some of XAS's addons work without XAS. You want me to compile a list?

-edit, what if we code an addon that's ABS specific for the contest. Is that legal?

Blizzard

Do that, LB. And no, Tons is not an ABS add-on.
BTW, don't forget that teams have a disadvantage of longer games.

I'll wait for a couple of more hours. If nobody posts any other suggestion, I'll post the topic at the other forums.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

legacyblade

December 01, 2008, 03:15:28 pm #4 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 03:19:29 pm by legacyblade
Good point. I guess I'll just go solo for this one. (unless one of you is a fast spriter who wants a teammate)

and I'm compiling the list now. But you didn't answer my question, what if we code an addon specific to an ABS that isn't released. (aka during the contest, I make a bABS addon) Would that be acceptable to use, or does it defeat the point?

-edit

here's the list of which XAS addons are not XAS specific

COG Extra Frames
XAS HUd
XAS Title
Scroll Panorama
Location Name

Those are all the ones I could find. Maybe I missed one, but I think that's all

Blizzard

You can use your own newly created add-ons even if you release them later as official plugins. That counts as custom script.

All are fine except for the HUD. I saw what it looks like, it pretty much IS XAS specific.

legacyblade

December 01, 2008, 03:39:20 pm #6 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 03:41:28 pm by legacyblade
Oh it is? I thought it worked without XAS. My mistake.

And WOOT, can't wait to use some custom addons then.

-btw, post this contest on Eminweb.com too. We have a very empty contest section

Diokatsu

Blizzard

December 01, 2008, 04:22:02 pm #8 Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 04:27:22 pm by Blizzard
"A.B. ASSes" only please. xD

Quote from: legacyblade on December 01, 2008, 03:39:20 pm
Oh it is? I thought it worked without XAS. My mistake.

It had stuff for currently equipped weapons/skills/items and you could change them on button press. That's pretty specific IMO. :/

EDIT: Start and end date has been changed leaving you more time for resource gathering and planning. I'll also put in links to the topics at the forums.

tSwitch

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

scoace13

December 01, 2008, 05:22:49 pm #10 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:59:40 pm by scoace13
http://www.hgw-development.net23.net/index.php post the contest here if u want ....this is my forum...btw...

ps anyone willing to join a team with me email me at scoace13@yahoo.com
scoace13, Eventman extrodnaire...so anybody seen any good movies recently <br />...whys is this here..........random fate...same reason im here...

Diokatsu

LOL My bad. Iasumed it was all battle systems. Didn't even bother to look at the A.B.S part of it. You win XD

Chaze007

* Name:Chaze007
* ABS used: Blizz-abs 2.01
* E-mail: Chaze007@aol.com-Chaze007@live.com
* Forum where you are mainly active (just one): Chaos Project

this will kick ass, you guys are on >:]
Always I Wanna Be With You! Make Believe With You!

legacyblade

is ANYONE going to use XAS, XD seriously, look at the signup "blizz-abs, blizz-abs, blizz-abs"...I wonder which ABS is going to win, XD

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: legacyblade on December 01, 2008, 06:07:40 pm
is ANYONE going to use XAS, XD seriously, look at the signup "blizz-abs, blizz-abs, blizz-abs"...I wonder which ABS is going to win, XD
This is why Blizzard is posting this at other forums. Not only there are more XAS users there, we'll also get Chaos-Project more well known. :)

Either way, I don't know what I should do. Sign up as judge...probably not, I may have to pass no matter how cool sounding it is...Unless I have fluency in the Blizz-ABS system. We'll see how that goes. No, I won't participate; I have too much going on for myself.

Best of luck for the contestants.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

computerwizoo7

Yes everyone i am finally here!

XAS ABS V3.3 DOWNLOAD
http://www.atelier-rgss.com/RGSS/Demos/XAS_Hero_3_3.zip

FOR INFO ABOUT BATTLE SYSTEM
http://www.atelier-rgss.com/RGSS/Battle/XAS_00a.html

come on! when will someone sign up with XAS ABS!

Blizzard

Wait a moment, I can't put that up. Hero edition is a modified version of XAS. No mods, originals only.

Diokatsu

computerwizoo7

are you guys crazy! blizz abs V 2. whatever should be banned too!
post the first version of blizz abs!
the crappy stupid one! without special enemy AI and so one!

Blizzard

Excuse me, but Blizz-ABS v2.0 is the original. It's not the EXA Edition.