BOOKS

Started by Vell, December 08, 2008, 08:01:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tSwitch

I actually read the first one just to see what all the hullabaloo was about
(is it really that bad? no way it can't be that good..)

after finishing the series, I think people should learn to be quiet.  It's not that bad, and it's not fucking platinum quality either.  The whole controversy is idiotic.  I think most of the people that hate it expected it to be the standard vampires that we've seen in Blade and Underworld and etc... for the past few years, and the people that worship Meyer are lovesick emo children who can only find true love in a book.  Then there's people like me, who are few and far between, lol.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Vell

i just state whats been told to me and for me say romance and fantasy aint my thing.

Fallen Angel X

Well, I don't disagree with you there Namk. I don't HATE the books but rather more that I hate the obsessed fans. But this topic is about books and not about the people who read em, right? Personally, I find that I can't make a judgement call on books and say they're terrible. There are exceptions when a book is simply so poorly written and written on such a terrible subject that it scars your mind for life. Of course, I've yet to come across a book like that but I digress.

Twilight isn't a book I would read, as I said before. This is true still, regardless of how many of my friends are hounding me down to read it. I don't hate reading about romances and I love reading fantasy books but certain aspects of twilight prevent me from wanting to read this supposedly godly book or quite possibly book fashioned from the hands of evil itself, depending on whom you talk to. Of course since I have yet to actually read the books, I can't write a proper review on it or form a strong opinion but what I can do, is work with what spoilers I've been told. In this case, it helps knowing 5 twilight fans who scream out random bits of information about the book 24/7 :P

So, anyways, from what I've heard, these vampires aren't your traditional vampires. Forget the burn to death if you head into the sun, the sharp two fang-like teeth, and if I recall, the life-threatening fear of garlic, vampires. That last one I can't remember if it's true or not ._. Personally, I love the old traditional vampires, the ones like Dracula :P So when they make this many changes to a vampire, I can't help but be upset. Now these vampires only sparkle or something of that sort when they're in the sun >.>

The werewolves, from what I heard(Yet again) are not werewolves but rather shapeshifters. So now, I'm left wondering, "Isn't the hatred between werewolves and vampires not shapeshifters and vampires?" Of course, as more spoilers were told to me, I found out that these shifters use a universal form, the wolf. I'm not quite sure about the mythology behind this but apparently they decided that they would all transform into wolves. And at some point they lost the ability to turn into anything else except from wolf and human form or something like that. Fine, get points for... Originality? Not quite sure but I heard of a similar concept from somewhere before. But anyways, why would it bother me? Simple. WTF!? They're god damn shapeshifters, when did they come into the mix!?

Well, that's just my opinion. I don't really care what you guys have to say but I'm sticking with avoiding reading the books :P

Vell

actually. thewhole burn in the sn thing never really happened before Transylvanian vamps came around; Dracula, and th elike. before that there was relatively few weaknesses in Vampire lore. lobbing of the head of the vampire, and burning at the stake, i believe, were some of the more popular, though maybe just the lob of the head one. and another with somethin to do with like, holy water.

and yeah, that thing where they can transform whenever is quite not uncommon. i believe it falls under the general lycanthrope thingy.

Fallen Angel X

Yeah, I knew I heard of that concept before. I don't quite understand what Lycans have against vamps or vice versa but still, I'd rather not read twilight regardless since they changed my perfect little vampires into... well let's not say anymore :P

Vell

Werewolves, by definition, transform only at night. other forms of lycanthropes transform when they want - either by way of magic, or, in some places, by way of a tool, like a belt, that channels magic from somewhere else.

Diokatsu

If you have Hircine's Ring you can transform anytime :3

Vell

Fallen Angel X

Yes I get what a lycanthrope is. I just remembered where I heard that concept! It was from Harry Potter O.o But anyways, this is straying off-topic from a books discussion to a supernatural discussion. So anyways, what was everyone's opinions on Harry Potter? I only read a couple of em but I didn't like it.

Vell

eh. the first few were allright but it seems the whole series could have been fine and well enough in fewer books.

Valcos

Come on Fax... you know you liked it! xD! Where are those glasses you have? :-*
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

Fallen Angel X

lol I remember those glasses. Nah I got em cuz my sister was into the series. To be quite frank, I wasn't. I only read the first two books and a bit of the fourth O.o The only reason I read the first two is b/c one of my elementary teachers read it to the class :^_^':

Vell

your elementasry school teacher was a nerd.

Diokatsu

I read all of them. no comments on any....