[XP] Quest Book

Started by Zeriab, December 15, 2008, 10:32:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeriab

December 15, 2008, 10:32:04 am Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 04:57:25 am by Zeriab
Quest Book
Authors: Zeriab
Version: 1.2
Type: Quest Organization and Display System
Key Term: Misc System

Introduction

This is a fairly heavy quest book which provides an overview over a number of quests represented by pictures. Each of the quests can be selected and a window with quest specific details will be shown. (The pictures are 80x80)

Features

Quests can have any number of parts. (Only the text for the current part is shown)
The quest book can be applied to a game in progress since whether quests are solved or not depends on variables, switches or a combination of them.
Solved quests kept and can be shown.
The opacity of background of the quest book can be changed and a picture can be shown behind it accordingly to a variable.

Screenshots

Demo

QuestBook version 1.2 (rar)

Script

I really suggest the demo rather than the script since it also contains example pictures.
I have included them for people who just want to take a look at the script.
Quest Book Script

Here is the example usage of the script used in the demo: (I would suggest placing it in a different section)

Installation

Insert the script just above main. (Like so many other scripts)
Insert just below the script a new section. This section will be were you configure the script. Create quests and such.

Instructions

I will try an experiment here. Instead of written a big wall of text explaining everything I want to know where my explanation should be in-depth and where it should be more shallow. I.e. where should I focus.
Please look at the example usage of the script.
What is for you the most confusing parts?
Will you be able to modify the quests?
Will you be able to add another quest?
Will you be able to add/remove a quest part?
Is it clear how the Quest_Criteria works?
Do you understand the top part where you configure the background?
How do you add/remove another background picture?
How do you change the opacity of the quest book? The path?
Can you figure out how to modify, add and remove the actual picture files? (You should probably download the demo for this)

This is a case of help me become better at helping you. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Compatibility

If you are using exotic save systems: ShowHide

At the bottom of the script (Binding to Scene_Load section in the demo) you find this code
#==============================================================================
# ** Scene_Load
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  Aliases and uses the on_decision method to reset $game_quests on the proper
#  time.
#==============================================================================

class Scene_Load < Scene_File
 # Check if the alias already exists (To avoid F12 errors)
 unless self.method_defined?(:zeriab_questbook_scene_load_on_decision)
   alias zeriab_questbook_scene_load_on_decision :on_decision
 end
 def on_decision(*args)
   # Call the original method
   zeriab_questbook_scene_load_on_decision(*args)
   # Check if the scene has changed
   unless $scene == self
     # Reset quest data
     $game_quests.reset
   end
 end
end

The idea with that snippet is to call a method when you load a save. It is used to preserve consistency in the quest book
$game_quests.reset

Note only do this if there is a problem with the snippet. (You can try putting a " p 'test' " in the reset method in Game_Quests if you want to test that it is called when you load a game)

Credits and Thanks

Credits goes to Zeriab
Special thanks goes to Indinera who requested the script for the game Laxius Force

I would like to thank everyone using their time to try and use my system.
I would like to thank everyone reading this topic.
Thanks.

Author's Notes

License: ShowHide
Copyright (C) 2007  Zeriab

This script is free to use under the condition of Zeriab being credited. (Commercial and non-commercial projects alike)
This script can be freely changed and distributed under the condition of the original author remains in the script.
Verbatim copies of this topic can be freely distributed

This script is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This script were designed for a game so the visualization is very fixed.

I would be delighted if you report any bug, errors or issues you find.
In fact I would be delighted if you took the time and replied even if you have nothing to report.
Suggestions are more than welcome

And finally: ENJOY!

- Zeriab

Blizzard

*cough* ... template... *cough*
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zeriab

I did the type and key terms. That should be enough to ensure compliance.
I'm too much of a rebel to deploy horizontal rulers :x

I did forget the maker tag >_>

Blizzard

;_; *has to change it to apply the template itself* I'll move this to database now. I hope that at least the header is compliant. ;_;

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

Looks great.  Definitely gonna use it!  :)

Exiled_by_choise

Can some1 give me step by step instructions on how to use this script becasue I can't make any sense of it.

Thank you  :huh: :huh: :huh:

Starrodkirby86

The way to use this script is actually very different and does not require a step-by-step instruction. The easiest way to find out how to use it is to look at examples of the script and trying to copy them. Eventually you'll be able to make your own quest easily.

The Example usage is here: http://zeriab.plesk3.freepgs.com/root/scripts/Questbook/example-usage.txt

Make sure you download the Demo as well. Seeing how Zeriab does the quest in itself and what you can modify within the game really helps.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Exiled_by_choise

In my game you don't start off with a quest book you get given it. Is there a way to make it so that after and only after you get the quest book can you open it in the menu window??

Zeriab

I am glad you like it ^_^
Thanks Blizzard for applying the template for me. (Yay for my laziness >_>)

@Exiled_by_choise :
You can create an item and let it call a common event.
In that common event you put this in a script call:
$scene = Scene_Questbook.new

You now have an item which you can use to bring forth the quest book.
I would suggest you made the item only accessible from the menu so you can't use it in combats to 'escape'.
If you want to be able to use the item more than once then make sure it is not Consumable.

*hugs*
- Zeriab

Blizzard

I had to. ._. If I didn't, it wouldn't be showing up in the automated database index. ._.

Zeriab

What? Really?
I made the header to be compliant with the specification.
Why must it require horizontal rulers ?_?

Maybe I did it wrong >_>

Blizzard

Lol, no. Only the header has to be 100% compliant to show up in the index. I use the horizontal rules to make it look nicer. ._. They are not really necessary, but all topics are using the template 100% so I didn't want your topic to stand out. ._.;

Shadonking

this is a really cool script, it takes a while to get to know how it works but when you do this script becomes so easy to use.

Creator Of Music And Games
Spoiler: ShowHide
]

keywords: ShowHide
rmxp rmvx blizz-abs rpg maker xp vx abs cbs cms script tons of addons charsets autotiles HUD

come here if you have a ps3
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=1952.0

Calintz

January 13, 2009, 03:59:50 pm #13 Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 04:01:25 pm by Calintz16438
It actually does look VERY useful and I WANT to use it so bad as an additional feature in my game to add gameplay and fun, but I am very graphic orientated and this seems a little plain. Is it customizable, or i...

NEVER MIND!! I got it!!
Thank you very much Zeriab. I do believe I might use this. It all depends on how easy it is to set up the missions. There were mission and quests scripts in the past that I decided against using simply because it was too hard for me to understand... *i'm a dunce*

*powers up* anyway  8)

Exiled_by_choise

Not exactly wat I want I wanted it more like pokemon where only after oak,elm or whoever gives you the pokedex you can use it in the menu.

Calintz

With a tiny tweak, I'm sure you can do that...

Exiled_by_choise

I don't know how that's why I'm asking to see if someone can help me. I know it's posible it's on pokemon.

Landith

January 13, 2009, 10:19:29 pm #17 Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:39:15 pm by Landith
Yupp.

This goes in def main in your cms

@command_window.disable_item(5) if $game_system[1] = false

and in def update_command

when 5
if $game_switches[1] = false
$game_system.se_play($data_system.buzzer_se)
return
end
$game_system.se_play($data_system.decision_se)
$scene = Scene_Questbook.new # or something like that
end

I think that should work.

Only if you have the Questbook thing right after save. If not change the 5 to whatever the index is. Keep in mind that the index starts at 0 not 1.
Also you might want to change the $game_switches[(insert number here)] to whatever you want the switch to be
You might also have to make the switch false at the beginning of the game and set it to true when you get the poke'dex i guess...
Also I don't know if the call Scene is correct you might have to change

Ps. This was not tested and I'm not sure if it works. I will test it now to see if it works

Edit:
Okay, I just tested it and it doesn't work so your going to have to ask someone else cause I tried everything and I don't know how to do it.
Sorry...

Calintz

Haha, it was a very good attempt...
Something I would probably try myself...

Exiled_by_choise

It didn't work can someone make something that will work???